Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waders from Army & Navy: Any good?  (Read 9645 times)

ironring1

Waders from Army & Navy: Any good?
« on: January 06, 2012, 12:31:28 PM »

Hi, all.  This fall was my first time fishing the salmon run, and it was great fun.  I'm thinking of getting my Steelhead tag and giving that a try, too, although I know from my reading that it is a lot more difficult.  I just enjoy being out on the river, so no worries!

At any rate, I know that I need to get myself some waders (I'm also just getting started with fly fishing, so I waders will be handy there, too).  While at Army & Navy over the holidays, I saw that they had quite the selection of waders, and the prices seemed good, perhaps too good.  They had a pair of neoprene chest waders for $99.  Are these garbage, or just a really good deal?

Thanks,
-Chris

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
Re: Waders from Army & Navy: Any good?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 12:46:12 PM »

Need to know what Brand???

Without that, there is no way of giving you advice on them.

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

ChumChaser

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 01:02:33 PM »

IMO cheep waders are only as good as the warranty and exchange policy with the store you are getting them from.  From what I remember a couple years ago when I was looking into buying a new pair of waders, Army & Navy said that you only had two weeks to return them and then you had to deal with the manufacture after that. If you need to ship them back to the manufacture you are out of pocket for the shipping costs and you wont have waders for a few months. Not to mention the new pair will probably leak on you in the same amount of time as the first, so if they leak right away you want to be able to return them! With cheep wader there is a good chance that they are going to leak with in a month or two depending on how much you use them and they quality.  After lots of research I ended up buying Simms Freestones because of Simms reputation and warranty.  They were not cheep waders and I still went through two pairs in three months, and in the end I ended up upgrading to the G3's anyways.  With that in mind one of my good fishing buddies has a pair of $100 bear neoprene waders and they are at least a couple years old and going strong.

I would stay away from Army & Navy and get them from a more reputable store even if they cost you a little bit more, at least you will have piece of mind that if they start to leak you can just take them back.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 01:07:36 PM »

At any rate, I know that I need to get myself some waders (I'm also just getting started with fly fishing, so I waders will be handy there, too).  While at Army & Navy over the holidays, I saw that they had quite the selection of waders, and the prices seemed good, perhaps too good.  They had a pair of neoprene chest waders for $99.  Are these garbage, or just a really good deal?

Thanks,
-Chris

Those waders are most likely called "Angler Pro" or something like that. They are the house brand of one of the suppliers. I know of a few people that have worn these and they where not too bad once they found a pair that did not leak. I believe they leaked in the feet from pretty much right from the moment they wore them. These are also only 3mm so as far as waders go they are thin. If you want a good wader as a first pair then I would go with the "Bare" brand. They have a really good entry level pair that is not much more then the ones you speak of. I know that Hatch Matchr in Maple Ridge have them and I am pretty sure that Wholesale in Langley has them as well. You will know the difference in the two waders as soon as you try threm on.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 04:16:28 PM by Geff_t »

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

DRP79

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 01:48:56 PM »

This is my first season as well and I Wanted to save money on things till I knew for sure that I was going to keep up with it. Well I am hooked, lol. I bought a cheap pair of neoprene waders from crappy tire for about the same price and they are serving me very well. I got them in September and have been out with them many times and I have no complaints.

colin6101

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 03:25:25 PM »

I have a pair of the inexpensive bare waders and really like them. Served me for two seasons so far with only on minor leak which was due to my fault not theirs. You definitely want to get waders without attached boots though, separate boots make a world of difference and give you way better stability in the water.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 03:41:24 PM »

no they are crap. i have gone through multiple pairs from A&N that lasted from 2 trips - 7 months. they always get holes in the feet or the seams blow out from the crotch to the booties. the pair i got now are there pro tac milanos and they lasted about 7 months then they got a big hole in the foot but i put a patch on and a ton of glue and ive been dry for a couple months now from it, but been noticing a wet line thats gettin a little wetter every time i go out on my shin. gonna be buying simms before the end of the month.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

Kenwee

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 04:38:39 PM »

Simms G3 will not give you any problems, they do not leak and a tough as hell. I go through black berry brush and thick bushes and they have held on, no problems at all. They cost $489.95 before tax from Fred's and they are worth it.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 05:13:30 PM »

Simms G3 will not give you any problems, they do not leak and a tough as hell. I go through black berry brush and thick bushes and they have held on, no problems at all. They cost $489.95 before tax from Fred's and they are worth it.

Ah...to be able to spend $500 on waders...how about that raise Cristy?
Not all those who wander are lost

silex64

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 11:06:23 PM »

Hi, all.  This fall was my first time fishing the salmon run, and it was great fun.  I'm thinking of getting my Steelhead tag and giving that a try, too, although I know from my reading that it is a lot more difficult.  I just enjoy being out on the river, so no worries!

At any rate, I know that I need to get myself some waders (I'm also just getting started with fly fishing, so I waders will be handy there, too).  While at Army & Navy over the holidays, I saw that they had quite the selection of waders, and the prices seemed good, perhaps too good.  They had a pair of neoprene chest waders for $99.  Are these garbage, or just a really good deal?

Thanks,
-Chris
if you just want try steelies for first year they will be ok

Danube Boy

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 11:35:40 PM »

Thanks,
-Chris

If you're ok with neos, these would be much better quality, WAY better customer service/warranty and are shown as $99   http://www.baresports.com/en-CA/Fishing/Products/Waders/Lightning/Mens

fish fishburn

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 07:28:56 AM »

Just noticed that Simms G3 waders are on sale at Cabellas for 275.00 if anyone is interested.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 12:02:05 PM »

I have pro tac milanos also, they were bought from army and navy for around $250...not the best in the world but they have held up for a couple years, mind you I have patched them a number of times. I have only heard bad things about waders with boot attached, I would go with stockingfoots like others are saying and buy boots seperate

oni_kage

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 10:49:34 PM »

If you are lucky you can snag a pair of simms on ebay. Esp around xmas when ppl sell the gifts that don't fit.

I picked up a new pair of G3's 2 years ago for $160. Just snagged some new G4 Guide boots for $150 on ebay today.

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 09:14:45 PM »

here is a great tip for the cheapie neo's
slap on a thick wool sock before you ever use them. ( out side of bootie) seperates the neo fabric from the boot and prevents alot of the ware.
ive used the A&N for 2 years now, salmon and steelhead. I also fish about 2-3 times a week and after about a year and a half i finally had to patch the seams on the feet.
Dry as  ever now.

EDIT * the brand is river rat extreme.
Tight lines to all