Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rare catch in local waters  (Read 7064 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Rare catch in local waters
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 08:07:50 PM »

NICE!!!!

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 08:28:09 PM »

I love the comment following the article....

"so they killed it"....

What a waste....can't blame those guys though when DFO allows it.  Would be nice to see halibut return to this area in numbers at some point but talk about an uphill battle...

quincy

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 09:16:04 PM »

i thought that the pressure change halibut go through made release survival almost impossible, I could be wrong though

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 09:24:04 PM »

would be nice if they let it go so they could slowly rebuild its population m :-\

Brian

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 10:09:42 PM »

I would find it hard to release a big fish like that.  They're not considered threatened, although they are considered rare here.

Steelhead, well that's another story.  I don't know if I can kill a steelhead, wild or not.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 10:23:46 PM »

I love the comment following the article....

"so they killed it"....

What a waste....can't blame those guys though when DFO allows it.  Would be nice to see halibut return to this area in numbers at some point but talk about an uphill battle...

My thoughts EXACTLY!!! LOL.   :D

oni_kage

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 12:51:11 AM »

If the environment can support the halibut they will come. However I don't think the Burrard inlet is all that healthy anymore.

bcguy

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 09:19:44 AM »

So they BONKED it... ??? ??? ???...sure doesnt give me much hope for the Sockeye, but hey..dont worry, you can catch them further up north right??
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 09:43:05 AM »

i thought that the pressure change halibut go through made release survival almost impossible, I could be wrong though
Yup you're wrong-Halibut don't have swim bladder and can travel through many atmospheres with no problem at all.

Also-there are some spectacularly naive people posting on this thread Of Course They Killed It And Ate It-That's What Fishing Is All About!!

If you don't like the fact that fishing is a blood sport take up knitting.

bcguy

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 09:58:23 AM »

Yup you're wrong-Halibut don't have swim bladder and can travel through many atmospheres with no problem at all.

Also-there are some spectacularly naive people posting on this thread Of Course They Killed It And Ate It-That's What Fishing Is All About!!

Don't you have some Sockeye to net? ::)

Pretty sure fishing isnt really a sport, not by the size of the bellys I see along the Fraser...a beer belly sport maybe, kinda like slow pitch ball... ;D ;D ;D
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 10:01:05 AM »

Tell ya what..... you explain to me how releasing a fish in the hopes of reestablishing a population is a worse idea than killing and eating it, and I'll admit to being naive on the subject.  
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 10:03:38 AM by marmot »

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 10:15:53 AM »

Tell ya what..... you explain to me how releasing a fish in the hopes of reestablishing a population is a worse idea than killing and eating it, and I'll admit to being naive on the subject.  

FYI-there's always been a  population of Halibut that over winter in Howe Sound, guys fishing winter Springs near bottom have been catching them for decades but not every one makes the paper.

In addition there's a  stock of Halibut in Georgia Strait that predates on Hake, these fish are deep and rarely come up.

However we are seeing some movement and numbers of fish taken off ECVI have grown over the past 5 years-are you following this?

So if populations are expanding/moving it stands to reason that sooner or later some would end up on this side right in front of the Big Smoke.

As to releasing them-it's legal to take two (2) a day in area 29 if there was a concern then FOC would change the limit to zero so no tears would be shed online for little fishies. :'(

Honest to god have any of you ever seen a Halibut longliner?

Seen how many fish they take in one set?

You guys have to get out of the office/schoolroom/pink collar ghetto and onto the water on the other side of Vancouver Island/the North Coast or QCI to understand how many fish there are-the bottom is paved with Halibut in some places the stock is vast-and as we see-growing.

BTW-I don't post reports anymore because of crying like this-but just this once I'll tell you-my freezer is stuffed with vaccuum packed Halibut-can't say where they came from though except to say the water was rough/cold and salty.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 10:16:34 AM »

Nothing wrong in my opinion with what they did by killing it, after all nothing states you can't.  I am surprised, however, that there would be retention allowed in that area in the first place.  

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 10:48:30 AM »

FYI-there's always been a  population of Halibut that over winter in Howe Sound, guys fishing winter Springs near bottom have been catching them for decades but not every one makes the paper.

In addition there's a  stock of Halibut in Georgia Strait that predates on Hake, these fish are deep and rarely come up.

However we are seeing some movement and numbers of fish taken off ECVI have grown over the past 5 years-are you following this?

So if populations are expanding/moving it stands to reason that sooner or later some would end up on this side right in front of the Big Smoke.

As to releasing them-it's legal to take two (2) a day in area 29 if there was a concern then FOC would change the limit to zero so no tears would be shed online for little fishies. :'(

Honest to god have any of you ever seen a Halibut longliner?

Seen how many fish they take in one set?

You guys have to get out of the office/schoolroom/pink collar ghetto and onto the water on the other side of Vancouver Island/the North Coast or QCI to understand how many fish there are-the bottom is paved with Halibut in some places the stock is vast-and as we see-growing.

BTW-I don't post reports anymore because of crying like this-but just this once I'll tell you-my freezer is stuffed with vaccuum packed Halibut-can't say where they came from though except to say the water was rough/cold and salty.

For some people, fishing is and will always be a blood sport with no further thought.  For others, its strictly catch and release.  For the vast majority of us, myself included, it is a mix and we choose when and when not to get our hands dirty.  I have noooo problems retaining halibut, believe me....I do a few trips a year for that sole purpose (Get it? sole purpose?) ANYWAYS......the stocks on the north coast or QCI are not the stocks we're talking about.  It'd be nice to see regs change to allow halibut in this area to grow, is all.  Like I said you can't blame these guys for keeping the fish, but you CAN question the logic of allowing it in the first place.

I like how some people place their faith in DFO when it's convenient to their argument:)