Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder river canal disgusting fishing ethics  (Read 8755 times)

Silex-user

Vedder river canal disgusting fishing ethics
« on: October 03, 2022, 01:52:40 PM »

Friend and I went to check out Vedder river canal upstream from Keith Wilson road bridge. In the hour or so watching these guys it was disgusting fishing ethics. We seen wild cohoes dragged up about 10 feet up  gravel shores, snagged or fouled chinook salmon killed and not one these guys wrote on their licences. Being fishing the Vedder river for over 43 years and this really tick me off. No point in phoning DFO. They never show up. Only one fisherman told the guy don't f#cking dragged wild cohoes up the shore. Fall on deaf ears.

Rant out.

Silex-user

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder river canal disgusting fishing ethics
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 02:12:01 PM »

Friend and I went to check out Vedder river canal upstream from Keith Wilson road bridge. In the hour or so watching these guys it was disgusting fishing ethics. We seen wild cohoes dragged up about 10 feet up  gravel shores, snagged or fouled chinook salmon killed and not one these guys wrote on their licences. Being fishing the Vedder river for over 43 years and this really tick me off. No point in phoning DFO. They never show up. Only one fisherman told the guy don't f#cking dragged wild cohoes up the shore. Fall on deaf ears.

Rant out.

Silex-user

There seems to be an attitude of who cares these are hatchery fish but I think people forget there is some pretty unique wild coho runs.

Im pretty sure on the island some year there is closures because of low flows and higher water temperatures. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 02:14:43 PM by wildmanyeah »

sumasriver

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 02:18:05 PM »

Just fishing the way DFO taught them to fish this years sockeye season.  Snag and drag. 

What did you expect would happen ? 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 02:22:50 PM »

Just fishing the way DFO taught them to fish this years sockeye season.  Snag and drag. 

What did you expect would happen ?

Totally legal right? ;) If water is low and clear, and the fish don't bite, then it's ok to floss them, just like in the Fraser where the water is high and dirty, and the fish don't bite. ;D

Anyone who thinks it's ok to harvest wild sockeye in the Fraser without enticing them, shouldn't complain about hatchery chinook and coho salmon in the Vedder without enticing them.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2022, 02:31:35 PM »

No point in phoning DFO. They never show up.
Maybe DFO is too busy investigating illegal sockeye salmon sales to allocate resources. Or maybe they had an undercover officer fishing on the river who could have attended your location.

With all due respect, ranting about it here but not taking 5-10 minutes to make a call sort of makes you part of the problem (sort of…)

And yes, I share your frustration.

Arkatek

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 02:34:16 PM »

People are absolutely desperate to harvest by any means necessary and not willing to put in the effort and time to get a biter. Was out there this morning and the water is low and clear. Pretty much only foul hooked a few and came back with nothing. Switching up presentations and techniques couldn't entice a bite. Those that I saw landed either my own or others were pretty dark.

We just desperately need rain.

The people fishing around me were well behaved, everyone released their foul hooked fish and no one beached them. Though one gentleman decide to roll up on the opposite side of the river and proceeded to cast into us.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 02:45:33 PM »

just use smaller beads  ;D

from pacfic anglers blog

"Downsizing presentations is key; now is not the time for your 25mm soft beads.   Float fishing with 8-14mm beads, small blades, yarn ties, jigs and bait have all been producing fish, as have twitching jigs and casting spoons/spinners, if conditions allow."
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 02:47:42 PM by wildmanyeah »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 02:56:07 PM »

Smaller beads made a huge difference for us last week. Fishing in 3 feet of water and downsizing from 14mm to 8mm, it was night and day. That said, it only worked because there were no people within sight a few hundred meters upstream or downstream from us.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 04:14:33 PM »

It's pretty much the same thing every year, high water or low. A few days ago there were some posts about the large surplus of hatchery coho (20,000+) and white springs (all of them ) we see every fall and how well that surplus is managed. Crowds of anglers harvesting all those fish was a good thing it was argued. True it is in one sense but in the opening post we also see the negative impacts on wild fish. Of course some may tell you that without that surplus we might have few wild fish. Who knows? I don't fish the there too often, at least not in the fall. Yet I run into FOs more frequently on the Vedder than any other water in the FV/LM except maybe the Stave which I fish even less often. The best thing is to call it in. The 2nd best thing is to have a calm polite chat with those pulling a wild fish up the bank. Sometimes that works. Sometimes not.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 05:54:40 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Big Green Machine

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2022, 04:58:46 PM »

No point in phoning DFO.

They may not show up but there is a record kept of the call.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2022, 05:38:56 PM »

Both unifomed and plain clothed officers have been visiting the spot. I talked to one of the officers this afternoon and she said there have been quite a few infractions so fines have been handed out. If you see something, phone it in. In the long run, it makes a difference.

Arkatek

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2022, 06:31:32 PM »

just use smaller beads  ;D

from pacfic anglers blog

"Downsizing presentations is key; now is not the time for your 25mm soft beads.   Float fishing with 8-14mm beads, small blades, yarn ties, jigs and bait have all been producing fish, as have twitching jigs and casting spoons/spinners, if conditions allow."

Definitely downsized with beads and yarnie, but as Rod noted there were plenty of float fishers around. Got one Chum to bite on a yarnie, and lost a Chinook on a twitching jig.

It's pretty much the same thing every year, high water or low. A few days ago there were some posts about the large surplus of hatchery coho (20,000+) and white springs (all of them ) we see every fall and how well that surplus is managed. Crowds of anglers harvesting all those fish was a good thing it was argued. True it is in one sense but in the opening post we also see the negative impacts on wild fish. Of course some may tell you that without that surplus we might have few wild fish. Who knows? I don't fish the there too often, at least not in the fall. Yet I run into FOs more frequently on the Vedder than any other water in the FV/LM except maybe the Stave which I fish even less often. The best thing is to call it in. The 2nd best thing is to have a calm polite chat with those pulling a wild fish up the bank. Sometimes that works. Sometimes not.

The second option definitely works most of the time, especially if the group around you are not all fishing buddies. A calm tone saying snagged fish need to be released coupled with the peer pressure of strangers definitely keeps most people accountable. With the few exceptions of those who have already made it their prerogative to harvest salmon however they can. We should also not forget that there are going to be a healthy number of new anglers that just need a calm voice to teach them the etiquette.

Silex-user

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2022, 07:32:39 PM »

While observing some these guys unethical fishing technique they are not really newbies. Some them are wearing Simms G4 Pro waders and using expensive baitcasting rods and reels. Some their floats to weight is around 6 feet and 5 foot leaders. So trying to be clam and teach them right  or proper way fished is not going work I guess.
 Glad most the steelhead fisherman have more respect and ethical in chasing chrome steel.

Silex-user

jackster

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2022, 08:07:10 AM »

It's only going to get worse, unfortunately.

There has never been an ethnic group who promotes this kind of "fishing" techniques on social media until the last few years.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2022, 08:47:14 AM »

Friend and I went to check out Vedder river canal upstream from Keith Wilson road bridge. In the hour or so watching these guys it was disgusting fishing ethics.

- wild cohoes dragged up about 10 feet up  gravel shores
- snagged or fouled chinook salmon killed
- not one these guys wrote on their licences

Really, these arent even unethical practices. They're just flat out illegal and against the regs.

Interesting how each spot has it's own 'mini-culture'. Lots of people would might do it at the spot you watched, if others are doing it. But probably wouldn't at other locations where it might not be received as well.