Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye Flossing opinion & locations  (Read 6859 times)

Silver

Sockeye Flossing opinion & locations
« on: September 23, 2014, 11:57:19 PM »

I've read a lot about this fishery, and I understand that it's frowned upon by a number of serious anglers. I am new to river fishing in general, having only a few experiences in the past on various travels with little or no success.
I believe that the main reason for all of the negativity is related to conduct, and not so much the perception that flossing sockeye is somehow disgraceful?
First of all, it's legal with a license. I don't believe the DFO is completely inept, they have to balance government, commercial, native and recreational interests. I realize that there are serious inequalities and some poor choices...but this is for another discussion.
Then there are the fisherman who pollute by leaving garbage, are selfish by taking more than they are allowed, or keep/harm other fish species.
I bought the book, and tried many of the popular spots...so I have a good idea of the activities of the some of the participants.
With such an abundant opportunity, why is it wrong to collect a few fish if you are willing and able. A serious angler would probably not be interested due to the reduced challenge in tricking a fish to bite...but why vilify the Fraser sockeye fishery in general.
I myself do want to learn more and pursue other more traditional fisheries also, but would probably always participate in the Fraser sockeye also when the runs are abundant.
While I don't like the crazy people and the crowds, I have found a couple of spots that seem to be less popular...but also unfortunately, less productive.
I have been out most weekends since the opening and have only had luck on three of those many days.
I don't think that my activities are harming the state of the Fraser river sockeye, or the environment.

Now, if anyone wishes to assist me in one last attempt before the closure, I would like to try somewhere new?
My favorite spots are the two bar locations south of the Agassiz/Rosedale bridge. Little to no one using these spots and you can drive right up to where you fish. I noticed that this past weekend the river is so low now that I can't get a drift with even 1oz.
The one day that I tried PegLeg I was surprised with the amount of people, garbage, and stress that presented.
Is there anywhere else that isn't crazy to spend the day?

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 12:22:24 AM by Silver »

ynot

• Old Timer
Re: Sockeye Flossing opinion & locations
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 07:19:42 AM »

just cross the Agassiz/Rosedale bridge and take hwy 7 to hope ,you will see parked cars and trucks at various locations . its been slow my last 2 trips because of low water bad drift and fish on the surface.might close this weekend.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 02:47:16 PM »

Can't wait for it to close. Long overdue.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 05:47:42 PM »

I thought that this was a good description of this fishery:

Letters to the Editor (Chilliwack times)
Letter: Two different fishery styles.
September 3, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Editor:

I would just like to make a few comments regarding Mr. Henderson’s article on page one of Thursday’s Times titled “No sport in this salmon fishery”.

In this article Matthew Hawkins states that this fishery is not sportfishing and he is correct. This fishery has never been considered a sport fishery but rather a “harvest fishery.” Granted the method is somewhat questionable as “lining or flossing” is non-selective and catches all salmon species that are present during the fishery.

However, non-selective species can be released to carry on their migration upstream to their spawning destinations.

When the Fraser sockeye fishery for recreational fisherman is over for the season then the “flossing” gear should be put away and not used for salmon fisheries in other local rivers where it is easy to entice them into actually biting. Many “true” anglers participate in this harvest fishery because they understand the difference between a harvest fishery and a sport fishery and find it very easy to adjust to them. If you cannot see the difference between these two fisheries then perhaps non-participation would be best for these individuals.

This is the recreational anglers chance to legally harvest some sockeye for our food fish. I, for one, do not want to buy sockeye from stores at $15 to $30 a piece when there are 20 to 30 million of them swimming past my doorstep and there is a harvestable surplus for all user groups and enough fish to allow fisheries for all.

When there are this many anglers (3,000 to 5,000) a day in the 30-mile stretch of river from Chilliwack to Hope you are bound to have some problems with fish abuse, garbage, altercations amongst anglers to name a few. The bulk of the fishers do not engage in these practices and try to share this harvesting experience with their families and friends. Angler education and ethics is being promoted by angling groups such as the Fraser Valley Salmon Society, The BC Federation of Drift Fishers, and the Peacemakers group just to name a few.

Not all problems can be solved overnight but knowledgeable anglers should guide some of the more inexperienced fishers in the right direction as far as ethics and fish handling is concerned. This must be an ongoing process if it is to succeed.

My last comment is on the mega-economic impact on the Fraser Valley from this fishery. There are millions of dollars generated for local businesses such as tackle shops, boat shops, gas stations, hotels, motels, guides, grocery outlets and campgrounds just to name a few. A huge portion of this income that is generated directly from this fishery comes from outside the Fraser Valley. People come from places such as Alberta, Saskatchewan, the United States and even overseas to participate in this bountiful harvest.

My comments are meant to show a somewhat more positive view of this fishery to the public and our community and something to ponder over.

Nick Basok

Chilliwack

http://www.chilliwacktimes.com/opinion/letters/273830061.html

Silver I was in your boots a month ago.

If you want a good shot of experiencing this fishery and catching a couple of sox, I would suggest not trying something new, but go back to Peg.  Earlier in the season, with the higher water levels, the crowds were concentrated in a small area and it was truly horrible.  However, the crowds appear to have thinned as you can now wade across the channel to the north side and even at the weekend it's not too crazy.  If you can go mid week that would be the best, I was there today, it was not crowded at all.

There are a lot of fish at peg and if you have your technique dialed in you will spend more time walking to the river than catching your limit.  Use a 1 onz BB, wade across the shallow channel and walk north up toward the main river.  If you need more information send me a pm or a throw away email addy you can post up.

GL and tight lines.

Silver

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 01:25:15 AM »

I had an idea?

Because bouncing Bettie's only start at 1oz, I found some bell weights that are 1/2 and 3/4 oz. I thought by lightening the gear, I could get a drift going in the slow areas of the river I like to fish. It didn't work much better, and without the extra weight it was difficult to cast the long leaders.

What if? Instead of using one corky, I use two...or even a chunk of tube float? I already started tying the large corky behind the hook on the tag line by recommendation...so, who cares if there is more stuff hanging off the hook? I know the sockeye don't! ::)

Do you think this will lift the weight a bit and provide some drift?

The last two days I was literally casting perpendicular from shore, and slowly retrieving straight back. Although this was working for me, I think my success was due to the river actually boiling with fish at times...I want to increase my chances because I doubt I will see the numbers of fish again like that.

Did anyone else notice the runs last Saturday and Sunday? It was like nothing I have ever seen before...I has been out at least on 12 other occasions and this was extraordinary. I saw some natives drift netting, and they were freaking out with fish jumping out of the net!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 07:18:38 AM »

Where I have been fishing most fish are now within about 50 feet of shore. I have been using just 2 inches or so of hollow pencil lead & cast straight out not upstream. I lost no gear with this other than 1 piece of lead last trip out. With the reduced water temperature the fish are very active. I think the number of fish will soon rapidly decline if that hasn't begun already. As it is the final upstream migration seem to be at least 10 days later than usual I think.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 08:58:59 AM »

Because bouncing Bettie's only start at 1oz, I found some bell weights that are 1/2 and 3/4 oz. I thought by lightening the gear, I could get a drift going in the slow areas of the river I like to fish. It didn't work much better, and without the extra weight it was difficult to cast the long leaders.

I think you need to try a new location with a little more flow.

To help speed up the drift, lower your rod tip into the water, rather than holding it high as you see most anglers doing.  Also do not point the rod tip toward the weight, angle it toward the score so you are applying a little cross pressure.  This will result in all of your line being in the water and perpendicular to the water flow causing more line drag and speeding up the bounce.  But you can only gain so much and ........ well see my comment above and as per my PM, just go to Peg.

Also you can go with a shorter leader, with all the fish around I have been fine with 10-12'

Good luck.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 05:04:50 PM »

how deep is the channel at pegleg, my buddy is 75yrs old and his balance is not great.
thanks

Silver

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 08:59:36 AM »

I think you need to try a new location with a little more flow.

To help speed up the drift, lower your rod tip into the water, rather than holding it high as you see most anglers doing.  Also do not point the rod tip toward the weight, angle it toward the score so you are applying a little cross pressure.  This will result in all of your line being in the water and perpendicular to the water flow causing more line drag and speeding up the bounce.  But you can only gain so much and ........ well see my comment above and as per my PM, just go to Peg.

Also you can go with a shorter leader, with all the fish around I have been fine with 10-12'

Good luck.

I went to my favorite spot again, this time moving down river a bit...there was the perfect flow.

Shortened my leader, rod tip down and ahead of drift...could feel light tension at all times.

Best day ever! Hooked 7 sockeye, lost 4(one with a long distance acrobatic fight), kept 3...one landed by my partner. And this is not Peg...this is a wider and much quieter part of the river.
All of these small tips made for a much more productive day, even when there were few surfacing fish. And to top it off, the last fish was super clean...almost chrome.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 03:03:55 PM »

how deep is the channel at pegleg, my buddy is 75yrs old and his balance is not great.
thanks

Approximately 1-2 foot deep depending on where you cross.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 03:10:50 PM »

Shortened my leader, rod tip down and ahead of drift...could feel light tension at all times.

Best day ever! Hooked 7 sockeye, lost 4(one with a long distance acrobatic fight), kept 3...one landed by my partner. And this is not Peg...this is a wider and much quieter part of the river.
All of these small tips made for a much more productive day, even when there were few surfacing fish. And to top it off, the last fish was super clean...almost chrome.

Glad to hear they worked out for you and you had a productive day.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 05:46:08 PM »

thanks knn  going tomorrow.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 03:44:29 PM »

the peg was dead this morning. only saw 1 landed.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 03:55:10 PM »

Looks like it could be done.

Delta test fishery started to drop off on Sept 20.
Mission test fishery dropped off on Sept 27.