Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing book  (Read 6067 times)

Whopperman

Re: Fishing book
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 03:15:10 PM »

My Dad gave me a book of funny short stories when I was younger about the outdoors by an author named Patrick McManus. Very funny. He has several and they are all pretty good.

Fishawn

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 07:37:02 PM »

Old Man and the Sea-Hemingway

Ian Forbes

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 01:40:33 AM »

Any of Geirach or Haig- Brown, a bit of Leeson, then throw in a Walton  .. but the best, IMO, is "The River Why", by David James Duncan.  Worked for me.

X2

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 07:22:44 AM »

Ernie Schweibert mostly known for technically oriented books on fly fishing also wrote a couple of books of reminiscences, Death of a River Keeper and Remembrances of River's Past . Robert Travers Trout Madness is a humourous book about fly fishing Michigan's North Peninsula prior to about 1950 or so. There are also some good BC oriented book. Ron Nelson who wrote articles for local magazines had one out and I liked Arthur Mayse's book My Father, My Friend which focused on fishing the Oyster River prior to about 1970. Libraries are a good place to check for books such as these.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.