Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River, March 10th 2009  (Read 1593 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Stave River, March 10th 2009
« on: March 10, 2009, 09:10:24 PM »

I was out on the Stave this afternoon - no luck.

It was a beautiful day out but really cold - the wind cut like a knife and my line guides were actually getting clogged up with ice.   There were a few others fly fishing but I didn't observe anyone else doing any better.   Hopefully the weather will warm up soon enough to improve the conditions there.

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Stave River, March 10th 2009
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 10:26:26 PM »

Were you targeting steelhead or cutthroat?

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 07:31:41 AM »

Cutties.   Flyfishing near the toilet bowl area on the car park side.

There were about four others fly fishing and another guy short floating on the opposite bank.  I assume he was targeting steelhead. Not sure if anybody else had any success, I didn't see anything caught.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 07:36:46 AM by fishseeker »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 10:28:16 AM »

next time you hit the Stave try going in on the opposite side from the toilet bowl and parking lot. I have found more fish over there as the flow is a bit slower and the fry like it more  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 12:32:57 PM »

Steelhead fishing on the Stave River has been slow to date. The hatchery has not been able to collect a fish for the broodstock program (10 fish is the target). This is a hatchery run so the hatchery usually collects fish from the Chilliwack River to make up the brood fish needed.

For cutthroat fishing, it's still a bit early with this cold snap I think. A coupe of more weeks, things should improve quite a bit.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 08:01:18 PM »

next time you hit the Stave try going in on the opposite side from the toilet bowl and parking lot. I have found more fish over there as the flow is a bit slower and the fry like it more  ;D
Thanks Hook,  I have tried that side before but it was back in January.  I will definitely give that side a go next time.

Steelhead fishing on the Stave River has been slow to date. The hatchery has not been able to collect a fish for the broodstock program (10 fish is the target). This is a hatchery run so the hatchery usually collects fish from the Chilliwack River to make up the brood fish needed.

For cutthroat fishing, it's still a bit early with this cold snap I think. A coupe of more weeks, things should improve quite a bit.
It certainly was cold and I wasn't too optomimistic about my chances on account of that - it was just a good opportunity to get out and enjoy the sunshine.   Will be heading out again when things have been warm for a while.  Thanks Rodney. [Interesting about the Steelhead]

Bone Cross

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 03:22:05 PM »

I've been fishing the Stave quite a bit this year. Only once had a steelhead hit. Seen a few roll. It was a buck steely and he hit my float three times at my feet. I've been fishing the side opposite to the toilet bowl. Seems to be quite a few whitefish on that side. The only luck I've had for cutties has been way lower down near the trailer park.
from a Redneck point of View!