Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, March 12th 2009  (Read 1496 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, March 12th 2009
« on: March 14, 2009, 01:54:53 PM »

First report Thursday, March 12th

Decided to head out after school since I had not had much of a chance to fish lately, only getting out for Steelhead 2 times in 2 weeks. Was going to go to a spot alone, but decided to try and get my friend to come along (normally doesn't come due to work). He tells me he is in and comes to my house. We contemplate where to go (not enough time to go to the spot I had in mind) and he says lets try Wilson Road.... I've always hated Wilson Road  ::)

We get to Wilson Road and there is some awesome water there. Fish it until around 4, at which point my friend says he has to go. Quite discouraged we didn't touch anything I was quite tempted to go home, but decided to go elsewhere. Get to my favorite area, and low and behold, I see 5 or 6 people flogging the 4 foot deep water with 6 foot leaders and set 8+ feet deep  ::) This is a place where I never see people, so I was quite dissapointed, thinking the fish would now be spooked.  :-X

I head upriver... fish my favorite run and come up empty handed  :'( Not much water left to fish really, and not very Ideal water. On my way down (casting and walking) I decide to put a cast into a small slot. There is a large rock just below the slot and after my float goes through the slot and goes behind the rock I start walking. 5 seconds later my float hasnt come out from behind the rock and before I knew what was happeneing, a very large fish had peeled 20 or so feet of line, did a 2 foot cart-wheel jump and spat my hook.

I stood there astonished. Not even enough time for a hook-set and the place I hooked it was not a very likely spot. 2 feet of water (approx) about 2 feet out from the edge in crystal clear conditions. This is the spot I hooked it in (literally right behind the rock) :

I work my way down to the bottom of the run. At the tailout my float goes down... I set the hook only to see another float come up out of the water and my gear come flying back at me. My clear drift float shatters and I have to rig up.

I go back up to the head of the run with a prawn. About 20 feet up from where I hooked the fish the float acts kind of weird, but I leave it alone. Next drift, same spot it goes under and strips the prawn off. Now I knew it was a fish. Went through another 20 or so times through the same spot but to no avail. Getting dark now and I decide to call it a day.

Next report to follow......  ;D

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Chilliwack River, March 12th 2009
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »

Wow thats float abuse lol Everyday so did you hit a rock?

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 05:16:05 PM »

Hes learned his 5 dollar lesson, back to dink floats.
good report.

The Bigger The Better!

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 05:44:44 PM »

There not 5 dollars?

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 07:20:34 PM »

nice report everyday
did you go with ryan ?
hardware == fish

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 08:37:45 PM »

Cleardrift - yes it hit a rock on the way back.
Dieter - I just stick a tooth pick in the top of all my floats  ;)
Testo - yes, but he wasn't there when I hooked it  ;D

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 10:10:30 PM »

I thought so. everyday how are you liking the cleardrifts?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 10:12:31 PM by Cleardrift »

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 10:11:26 PM »

dieter no need for the bottom just the top

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 11:04:31 PM »

Actually I love the floats.....
They balance out nice and allow me to use more weight.
When I broke that one I put on a drennan and realized that the cleardrifts are also alot easier to see  ;D

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 11:21:39 PM »

Glad your happy  ;D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 11:23:18 PM by Cleardrift »

drh

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 12:13:51 AM »

Bummer about not getting a good set. those thumb burning cartwheeling fish are the most exciting to land,but thats fishing I guess. I usually get one or two of those a season walking along watching  my footing instead of my float when all hell breaks loose and I get a self hooking steelhead on the end of my line.I had a small one like that a week ago Friday  behind the one the way area.I fared a little better today managing two to the beach up river.I started down in the canal in the a.m.[ boring,] I walked and fished a km or so down from the bridge and and back ,never seen a fish so up river I went.There was a dozen or so guys practicing search and rescue swimming the Allison canyon and that must of put some fish on the move cause shortly after I arrived above them I caught two fish working runs above them in fairly quick succession ,first a 12 pound wild doe then about a half hour later a 9 pound hatch doe that wanted to come home with me.I haven't yet tried my cleardrift but it's shape is the same as the DNE so I'm sure I'll like it.Stealth man laid a couple of his on me after the derby,I've been catching fish with them on so I can't change yet.