Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WTB Fly reel suitable for 2/3 weight fly rod  (Read 805 times)

robbo1970

WTB Fly reel suitable for 2/3 weight fly rod
« on: December 10, 2015, 09:06:50 PM »

I am looking for a fairly inexpensive fly reel for my boys 2/3wt fly rod. He is only four and really want Santa to bring him one. I ordered one from eBay but the seller let us down and we never received it.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

ajransom

Re: WTB Fly reel suitable for 2/3 weight fly rod
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 07:30:06 AM »

Have you checked out the Okuma Sierra reels? Less than $50 from memory new

robbo1970

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 08:14:45 AM »

I haven't, I will take a look. Also looked at the echo solo but smallest size is 4/5

Daguru

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 08:27:46 AM »

Orvis battenkill.

ajransom

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 10:35:42 AM »

I haven't, I will take a look. Also looked at the echo solo but smallest size is 4/5

Actually, just checked and the smallest size is also 4/5, so might be too big.

I have an orvis battenkill for my 4 weight, and you can get them smaller. Around $100 from memory and a great little traditional trout reel. Im sure you can find something cheaper, might just take more looking.

Another option is to buy a cheap 4 weight set up and get used gear. Far more 4 weight rods and reels on the buy and sell, than 2 and 3 weights. Plus, anything that will put a bend in a 2 or 3 is going to put a bend in a 4 weight.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 01:30:51 PM »

Take a look at:
Second vote for the Orvis Battenkill, I have the I.  Awesome Little Reels, about $100 US, super light, classic click pawl.  Wholesale might have them but I know for a fact Robinson's in Victoria should be able to get one for you. 
http://www.orvis.com/p/battenkill-fly-reels/7h9p

Redington Zero 2.3.  Never used one, but seem pretty sweet. about $80 US.  Super light (same weight as the Orvis at 2.7 oz.)  Not sure about the drag style, more modern take on the lightweight non disc drag reel.
http://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-reels/zero/

Redington Drift 2/3.  Tried one, went with the Orvis instead of the Drift as I preferred the spool release due to finger size.  Heavier reel, around 3.4 oz.  can be found on discount atm as they are discountinued but you have to look around.  should be $70 or so? (retail was $100)/

Hope you can find something in time!  I have no idea what your budget is, so I went with what I consider good inexpensive reels.

robbo1970

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 01:34:30 PM »

He got the rod for his birthday earlier this year and I gave him one of my old fly reels, but he lost the handle while on the Harrison. He loves the rod, at 6' it doesn't seem overlong for him either. It's a nice little rod, a snowbee from the uk.

Update on the reel situation, after complaining to the eBay seller that I never got the reel I purchased it showed up in the mail today! Search over, thanks every one for their help

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 03:57:29 PM »

He got the rod for his birthday earlier this year and I gave him one of my old fly reels, but he lost the handle while on the Harrison. He loves the rod, at 6' it doesn't seem overlong for him either. It's a nice little rod, a snowbee from the uk.

Update on the reel situation, after complaining to the eBay seller that I never got the reel I purchased it showed up in the mail today! Search over, thanks every one for their help

Thats Great!

What reel did you get?

robbo1970

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 06:57:17 PM »

It was just an cheap one, I guess that he is just practising/playing at the moment. When he gets a little older and a little more proficient I am going to upgrade it for him.