Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FWR St Mary Lake Report, July 24 - 26  (Read 7841 times)

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
FWR St Mary Lake Report, July 24 - 26
« on: June 23, 2005, 06:17:05 PM »

I just met Hung and some of the kids down on the beach and can report they have been catching fish.  His daughter caught two today on a bare hook.

Violeta and I arrived this afternoon.  As soon as we got moved in I went to the dock and caught five or six small perch right away but nothing big enough for the frying pan yet.  When the sun gets a little lower I'm going out in a little green row boat that comes with the cottage.  Cool.  I'm gonna take my fly rod.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: St Mary's Lake trip, June 24th - 26th
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 07:44:45 PM »

One thing people who love the place can do is to take their garbage home with them.
Sounds a little strange but think about it-garbage disposal is limited on a small island like Saltspring and we all go their bringing stufff that ends up clogging their system.
Bring it back to the city and dispose of it where there's a well developed system already.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 01:41:53 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion Sam, totally agree.

Trout Slayer, Chrome Mykiss, TtotheE and Fishin Chick are leaving on the 7am ferry. Nina and I are on the 9am ferry from Tsawwassen. Leave some fish for us. ;)

keithr

• Our place in Mexico
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 10:28:51 PM »

I saw Rod and Nina (haven't actually met them yet) rowing back in as I was rowing out this afternoon about 3 o'clock.   Rod said they had done all right.  In the next three hours I caught about 30 bass using a dead minnow simulator on the surface.  Talk about fun. . . .

After supper I went back out with my fly rod and caught another eight.

I started fishing this morning at a quarter to five, and I just a few minutes ago quit with it almost dark.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 10:57:10 PM »

I saw Rod and Nina (haven't actually met them yet) rowing back in as I was rowing out this afternoon about 3 o'clock.   Rod said they had done all right.  In the next three hours I caught about 30 bass using a dead minnow simulator on the surface.  Talk about fun. . . .

After supper I went back out with my fly rod and caught another eight.

I started fishing this morning at a quarter to five, and I just a few minutes ago quit with it almost dark.

LOL!  sounds like a blast! 

Where are you getting your internet connection while over there?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 12:25:17 AM »

Just came back from St Mary's.
Got 16 fishes in two days, between 3 people  :P
But that was our first time bass fishing so we're happy  :D
Largest is a 4 pounder, caught with shrimp  ;D ;D and a 3.5 pounder on popper.

keithr

• Our place in Mexico
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2005, 02:49:31 PM »

Internet connection is wireless and courtesy of Lakeshore Gardens Resort.  Nina caught a very nice bass from the shore in front of the cabins.  Both bass and Nina battled valiantly.  Rodney:  "I'm going for the net!"  Nina:  "No, I don''t need it."  Expect photos.

Met the Fishin Chick and her father.  I believe he caught a twenty inch rainbow.  Everyone who puts a hook in the water (boat, bank, or dock) is catching fish of one kind or another.  Right now it's sunny and things have slowed down (that's why I'm in here).  Maybe I'll have a cool one . . .

keithr

• Our place in Mexico
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 10:12:59 AM »

Things are winding down for us.  Check out time is 11am.  I went out at 5 this morning with the eagle and beaver and the steam rising off the lake and out of the trees.  Mirror calm lake.  Just me and the critters.

Tried all the on top of the water stuff that just wouldn't miss for the last several days.  Nope.  I had orders to bring back a big one for supper, and it was looking like I was going to fail.  Not even a bite.  I looked around in the tacke bax and there was a little container with a half dozen worms from when Violeta was fishing off the dock.

I was close to a grownover beaver house that seemed to always have a big one in it (Hiker will know where I mean).  I put on the biggest single hook I had and baited it with a garden worm.  Right away I caught a smaller one (about 12 inches).  Let him go.  Small things gnawed off my next couple of baits.  Finally I was down to that last worm.  I put it on, plopped it out there just in front of the beaver house entrance, and before I could take the slack out of the line something started doing it from the other end, so I set the hook.  It was very pretty.  Bass came up out of the water like in slow motion, shaking all over and shedding water, and he cleared the water completely.  The whole routine, picture purfect. 

I got him in the boat eventually.  My reputation as bringer-home-of-the-fish intact, I was pulling up the anchor when a beaver came up out of his house, did a double take and tail smack!  It was like a punctuation point my fishing here at St Mary's Lake.  It started to rain a little.

(that bass turned out to be 18".  That was the second biggest for me.)

We're all packed, there is light mit, looks like maybe it will be clearing, wish I could go back out.  Nina and Rod are down on the dock fishing with bait and catching them like there was nothing to itl.  It's a very pretty scene. . .

TtotheE

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 12:11:49 PM »

We arrived at St Mary lake just before 11am on Friday.  We had called ahead and arranged with Mark to check in early.  The office was empty when we got there but there was a map showing the way to our cottage (in case we arrived prior to their return).  We were very impressed.  While parking the car,  we met Hung,  who came out to greet us.  As we started to unload/pack,  Hung told us a few good spots to try near our side of the lake,  which proved to be excellent advice.

Fishing Day 1:

The first day was awesome.  The fish were active and plenty.  My sister and father were trolling flies and spinners with the electric motor,  while I parked myself here and there and cast/retrieved a few flies.  Armed with a full sinking line,  I was catching on dragonfly nymphs,  leeches,  muddler minnows and wooly buggers.  It was frustrating at first to time the strikes,  as it seemed the fish were biting the fly but not fully committing.  An hour after we launched our boats,  I noticed Rodney and Nina fishing from the dock.  A quick chat and some advice on the strike and I was back out to call my sister,  who had our room key(was getting very thirsty).  I decided to row extra slow back to the dock,  and allow my mohair leech to troll nice and deep.  At first I thought I had dragged bottom,  as I had just recently lost my productive dragon pattern to the bottom.  I grab my 4 weight rod from the holder and begin to reel in,  as a monster bass jumps out of the water!  I feel the pressure of onlookers from the dock,  my sister catching the moment on video with her digital camera while my dad circles their boat around mine,  and the knowledge of a 4 pound tippet (not recently checked for knicks).  The wind is pushing my boat towards the dock,  and in fear of losing the big one to a post,  I drop anchor with my free hand.  The bass dives deep and fights harder than any trout of similar size.  I finally get the bass to the net and receive a cheer from the crowd at the dock.  This one will look good on the dinner table.  My prize motivates the others to get their boats ready.

For the remainder of the afternoon,  I try different flies I had tied for the trip.  I try a few deer hair poppers,  and find that the bass really like my imitation frog the best. A fish litterally tore the frog right off my tippet on my first cast with it.  Luckily,  the frog resurfaced after the bass spat out the hook.

The lake turned very calm during the evening.  I tie up a size 10 goddard sedge and chased the risers for some fast action on my 3 weight Stryker I got from his recent clearance.  Friday evening turns out to be the better of the 2 evenings for dry fly fishing for us.  Although most of the fish rising were on the smaller side,  they put up quite the fight on the 3 weight and was very enjoyable.  A 10 incher was the largest I caught on a dry.  I lost count after about 20 while chasing the riseforms that night.

After the nights fishing,  we play some poker before driving out to the ferry terminal to pick up fishin_chick's husband.

Fishing day 2:

The married couple decided to stay in for the morning hatch.  We left the cottage at around 7am,  and see Keith already rowing out there,  the only guy on the lake(consistently at that hour).  I got to sit back and relax this morning(no rowing) with my dad on the boat with the electric motor.  The trolling had given dad consistent action with my sister the day before,  many times not having time to reset a rod before the other rod starts to bend.  We check out a few different areas and release a few small bass.  We crossed over an area that was rising quite heavily,  and were surprised to hook a 20 inch trout(mentioned earlier by keithr).  This thing was so clean and silver it was beautiful.  Caught on a "dead minnow" that my sister went out to buy after speaking with keithr.  We head back to the cottage for an excellent breakfast whipped up by my sister,  tie a couple flies,  then head out again.

I get to share the row boat with my sister's husband.  He's armed with a 6 weight full float,  and I with a 4 weight full sink.  We alternate bringing in the fish,  to keep the fish count even  ;) The bass were consistently hitting the minnow pattern I had tied when at Courtney lake.  We end up trolling almost 2/3 of this huge lake.  The fishing was not as good as Friday,  but was still good.  Cutting across the part of the lake where my dad caught the rainbow the day before,  we hook into what turns out to be a 1.5 pound rainbow on a dragon nymph.  My brother in law doesn't eat fish,  so he gently releases the beauty back into the water.  After numerous missed hits way I rig up my 3 weight with a 19 foot leader(floating line) and a bead headed olive wooly bugger.  We couldn't keep them off!  Sometimes we'd have a fish on before we could get a chance to let out the usual amount of line after releasing a fish.  We come back to the dock to find my dad casting from the dock,  the battery needs recharging.  So we head back in to stretch out our backs.

We decide to opt for a later dinner and not miss out on the evening surface action.  Size 14 emergers and tomb thumbs were irresistable.  Fishin_chick heads in before the bats come out to prepare for dinner.  ;D Dropping and pulling anchor is starting to do a number on my hands,  so I move around without anchoring down and sample various areas.  I'll have to look into setting my boat up similar to CMK with a pully system(he was so fast!).  Great dinner as always,  the bass tasted like filet of sole,  and dad's trout tasted like salmon!  No poker tonight,  everyone gets to sleep while I tie a couple flies that seemed to work well for us.

Fishing day 3:

Check out day.  We all get up at 6:30am,  and see that keithr is out doing his thing again.  Battery charged,  fishin_chick and dad head out to troll once again on the electric motor.  I decide to row us today,  armed once again with a dragonfly nymph.  We head for the little underwater island,  as I had seen quite a few risers there a few nights back.  We head to the side opposite the dock and tag a few fish consistently in one spot,  so we anchor ourselves in casting distance and do our thing.  I get the proper stripping speed today and catch a couple keepers before we decide to try a different spot.  My sister has abandoned casting in favor of trolling,  it is her best new technique.  We decide to join them along the trees and reeds.  Last day to fish,  with a time limit,  and we find the honey hole!  Every pass we'd have a fish on,  so I row some figure 8's until its time to leave.  Mental note on the location so I can anchor myself in next time I visit the lake.

The ride home was uneventful,  mostly because I was snoring in the back seat  ;D  We decided not to wait for the direct ferry and possibly get left behind,  and took the long route.  We get home in good time,  earlier than we would have,  had we waited for the direct ferry to Tsawassen.

All in all,  the trip was awesome.  The weather held out,  fishing was great,  nobody got skunked,  and we learned how effective trolling can be for bass.  I learned from Rodney that I was casting too short,  and that I should have been casting right INTO the reeds,  not right infront of them.  I had too many flies get tangled in the reeds,  so I stayed clear of them.  Perhaps next time  ;)  Hoping to send some pictures to Rodney when he gets back (if he comes back).

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 06:07:21 PM »

Nice reports all. ;D ;D

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 08:21:23 PM »

Heres one of the hundreds I landed this weekend. Just a teaser, full report to come later.

This baby took a stripped green wooly bugger.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 11:21:29 PM »

Hey TS - How'd you get a rule on your float tube that measures in cm?  :o

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2005, 11:25:30 PM »

Hey those are inches! :P Report coming soon.

Hung

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2005, 06:45:35 PM »

Well we were camping there since Sunday and the kids had a lot of fun catching fish on worm while I was busy unhooking fish, replacing hooks and untangling lines.  I couldn't tell the difference between the perch and the bass until Keith pointed it out to me, so needless to say I don't have many fishing stories to report.  Except for one ... after being coached by just about everyone in the FWR crowd, my son and I were finally catching bass non stop on the last day.  We got so carried away with it that we came back a few minutes late and missed the ferry deadline.  Long story short, we had to take an alternate route and arrived home 5 hours late.  My son said it's all worth it, and I'm thankful for a very forgiving wife  ;D

A side note:  I'm amazed at the fishing skills of the people in this group.  One evening my son and I was so overtaken at the sight of people fly-casting on a dead calm lake we forgot to do our own fishing.  It was an incredible sight.  Thanks  everyone for the coaching, the lures and the flies and especially for a great time!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2005, 07:44:34 PM »

Nina and I just returned this afternoon, pretty tired so the stories will come later. Here's a teaser photo though. ;)

If you have photos from the trip that you wish to be posted, send them to info@fishingwithrod.com I'll be putting together a gallery.