Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: St Mary's Lake, May 2nd - 4th 2008  (Read 1833 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
St Mary's Lake, May 2nd - 4th 2008
« on: May 05, 2008, 12:38:29 PM »

A group of us made it over to St Mary's Lake on Friday until yesterday. While comparing our gear for the trip, I was surprised that no one else brought their fly gear. "What if the trout fishing was good instead?", I asked.

It never rained on the way there but as soon as we arrived on Salt Spring Island, it started to pour. Friday was a wet one. The waders really came in handy when standing in one big puddle inside the boat.

Friday afternoon was more of a scouting trip, picking out the spots where we might find some fish. I managed to connect with a couple of bass as well as some trout.

After dinner, I proceeded to fish briefly on the floating dock until darkness and managed to hook another bass and lost a big trout.

Saturday morning the alarm clock went off at 6am but no one was very keen to be standing in puddles again that early, so we all didn't get out until 9am. I found Marco and his uncle tucked away just around the corner from the resort, with many risers in front of them. Trout they were, according to Marco, but not so interested in their spinner baits. I proceeded to chuck a leech pattern out and managed to hook and lost a good sized fish on the second cast. Soon after they stopped rising.

We then made our way to the east bay where we had some success yesterday. Marco managed to connect with a good sized cutthroat trout, which did not hesitate to take his oversized spinnerbait.

Soon after, my indicator on the 4wt took a dive and I found myself with a rather big bass at the end of the line.

The sun came out just in time for a great afternoon of fishing.

We made our way back to the resort at 1pm for lunch. Just before I reached my cabana, I noticed a couple of rises in front of it. I anchored, threw the leech pattern out once again and within a couple of quick strips, I was hooked up. The first fish splashed a few times and got off. I proceeded to make another cast, but a peddle boat decided to cruise by in front of me. Not to worry, I made the cast out, and to my surprise a cutthroat trout grabbed the leech pattern seconds later.

Meanwhile, Marco and his uncle had spotted the action on their way back. They anchored beside me, threw a couple of krill out and were also into fish in no time. We managed to hook a couple more good sized rainbow trout as well as some smaller cutthroat trout before lunch.

After lunch, we spent a bit of time fishing on the floating dock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1yh7hvE9bw

The rest of the afternoon was very peaceful on the lake, but fishing was spotty. I managed to find a couple more bass before we settled in for dinner. We were just slightly too early for the bass fishing but one can't really complain if the trout fishing was good as an alternative. We may return for a second trip in early July.

Derp, Gman and Steelhead King will show you some of their photos and reports too. :)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: St Mary's Lake, May 2nd - 4th 2008
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 01:37:37 PM »

Glad you guys hit some fish rod! Im looking forward to making a trip there.
weeeeeeeeeow!

Snapperhead

• Currie Artworks
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 04:26:55 PM »

Great pics Rodney.
Currie Artworks
Whistler B.C.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 06:49:56 PM »

I have no idea what the water temperature is actually, I usually don't (but should) pay attention to it. One guy jumped into the water at the resort and sprinted out two seconds later with explicit language coming out of his mouth, so you can kind of guesstimate the temperature based on that.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 06:51:32 PM »

Awesome, you guys cleaned up - nice rainbow, I had no idea St Mary's had such decent sized fish!

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

gman

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 08:16:01 PM »

Gwoman and I enjoyed the trip too. We spent more time in Ganges and didn't fish quite as much as the others. On the first rainy morning we sat with our coffee  in our cabin and watched the action on the lake. Out one window was Marco and his Uncle, and out the other was Rod's boat. It was like watching a fishing show on TV.   :D

Eventually we got out and caught some trout, both rainbows and cuttthroats.

At times the fishing was slower, other times we couldn't keep them off our hooks.

Fishing off the dock with lots of action and laughs made us feel like little kids again, except the fish were bigger!  ;D Good job on the video Rod!
Steelhead King taught Gwoman to hook and land a big trout on a big long fishing rod without a reel!

When's the next trip? :) 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 08:36:17 PM by gman »

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 09:53:51 PM »

This was a very memorable trip for me, my girlfriend Lisa and my other two friends that came along. We got to do some fishing too but not as much as the others because not all my company was keen on spending time on the water.. ::). Anyways this St. Mary's Lake was one of the coolest trips I've made to the island and I'm sure it won't be the last! Early July here we come  :).

Here are some pics of our eventfull trip. I hope you enjoy them.

As soon as we got there on friday at around 12:30pm I took my spinning rod and started casting a spoon into the darkness hoping a fish would trike it by its vibration if not by sight.. ahah ;D
That didn't go for long as I joined the other by the fire.

This was our cabana, #11 and probably the coolest on the entire lake. :D

We woke up friday morning with rain comming down, but that didn't stop me from going out for a quick troll without rain gear or waders. I wish I had packed some as my shoes were wet for the entire trip and I went through all my socks in one day forcing me to wear plastic bags in my shoes.. haha :D

After loosing one that morning this one didn't get away. A nice raimbow that we decided to have for lunch! 8)

Here's another pic of me AND the rambow ;D

This is the soon to be raimbow lunch.

And this is one of the best tasting steelhead trouties I've ever had along side with nachos & dipp! mmhmm good! :)

Me and Lisa went fishing again in the afternoon around the beach where rodney was fishing successfully

And I was soon into another bow that was way bigger but unfortunatley to my surprise it was foul hooked (weeird on the fly..?) Anyways Rodney wasn't surprised as he did the same with one.

I went out again before dark to try my luck and lost a couple of trouties around the dock. Sunday we all had fun into town and gav'er a last 30min shot of flyfishin with no success. This trip was a major success and I'm glad I went. yayy

In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 10:07:22 PM »

That was indeed the nice rainbow. The nicest one out of all of ours I think. :)

It's good to bring a chef along to a fishing trip.

I've emailed Mark to see how booked the place is during the July 4th - 6th weekend. If many cabanas are vacant, perhaps another group trip is possible.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 10:36:56 PM »

That looks deeeeeeelicious. Were you indulging in a few wobby pops when you took the picture Rod ?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 10:43:43 PM »

I had to adjust the angle to fit all the goods in. :P

One of our company definitely had too many wobbly pops that night. ;D

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 10:59:41 PM »

It's good to bring a chef along to a fishing trip.

Yeah, thats true. If we knew Marco was a chef we wouldve been on your doorstep in 2.5 after the catch lol  :D
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

Pat AV

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 09:42:27 PM »

Great looking fish folks, some really nice photo's. Cutty on a spinner bait  ;D Bill Dance would be very proud of you guys.

Thanks for sharing.
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 12:24:32 AM »

I wanted to know the origin of those big rainbow trout that we were catching so I took a look at the stocking history. The lake is literally a trout cocktail.

In 2007, 3,000 rainbow trout yearlings (blackwater AF3N from Dragon) and 4,000 cutthroat trout yearlings (Taylor 3N from VI) were put in the lake.

In 2006, 5,000 rainbow trout yearlings (Tzenzaicut 2N from Tunkwa) and 8,000 cutthroat trout yearlings (Taylor 2N from FV) were put in the lake.

In 2005, 5,000 rainbow trout yearlings (Tzenzaicut 2N from Tunkwa) and 8,000 cutthroat trout yearlings (Taylor 2N from FV) were put in the lake.

In 2004, 5,000 rainbow trout yearlings (Tzenzaicut 2N from Tunkwa), 8,000 cutthroat trout yearlings (Taylor 2N from FV) and 4,641 steelhead fingerlings (2N from Cowichan) were put in the lake.

In 2003, 8,000 cutthroat trout yearlings (Taylor 2N from FV) were put in the lake.

In 2002, 2,000 rainbow trout yearlings (Tzenzaicut 2N from Dragon), 8,000 cutthroat trout yearlings (Taylor 2N from FV) and 9,377 steelhead fry (2N from Cowichan) were put in the lake.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 07:51:49 AM »

Great pics-Thanks for posting. :o

One thing about that lake-if the bite goes off try smaller darker offerings-works well.