Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: St Mary's Lake July 13th - 16th  (Read 2129 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
St Mary's Lake July 13th - 16th
« on: July 16, 2006, 10:24:13 PM »

Nina and I just returned from Salt Spring Island this evening after fishing St Mary's Lake for four days. Fishersak and his wife are still on the island and will return tomorrow. Our stay at Lakeside Gardens was fantastic as usual. Mark has changed a few things on the cabanas and the floating dock had some TLC since last summer. The fishing was incredible, we were catching fish until we did not want to catch fish. Since Day Three, Nina has complained about her extremely sore arm after fighting so many fish.

The first day we did very well right in front of the resort, it was basically fish from the minute when we did the first cast. The water was rather warm, so we were fishing in fairly deep water, up to 40 feet deep. After a few hours, we had easily caught about 30 to 40 smallmouth bass and decided to come in for a break. In the evening I went out again and surprisingly caught two cutthroat trout right away on my bass gear. The rest of the evening Nina and I were still pulling bass out from the same spot in front of the resort. It was amazing how many fish were sitting in that one single spot. The evening finished off with a 18 incher, which was the biggest of the day.

On the second day, we again fished the same spot in front of the resort! The fishing result was the same, if not better! After lunch, I went out to the middle of the lake and fished beside the island. The fishing was even better. Not only every cast produced a fish, the average size of the fish was also much bigger. In the afternoon, Fishersak and his wife arrived and we fished the island briefly but failed to produce much. The island can be unpredictable at times but it produces well when the fishing is on. We then took them to the front of the resort once again, and pulled out fish after fish. ::) ;D

On Day Three, Fishersak slept in so he showed up on the water around 11am, two hours after we started fishing. ;D Nina and I had already been catching bass, but also witnessing cutthroat trout chasing our bass rubber tubes to the boat everytime we brought them in! I managed to land another trout that was around 18 inches that morning. We finished the morning fishing session by pulling out more big fish from the island. ;D After spending an hour at the Saturday art market, I went back to the island while Nina stayed at the resort. The fishing around the island that afternoon was the best so far. The fish would literally hook themselves before the rubber tubebait even sank to the bottom. In the evening time we moved to this new spot where we had done well in the past. It did not disappoint us. The fish were not as eager to bite, but the fish were huge! Fishersak and his wife both caught their biggest at this particular spot.

On Day Four, today, the fishing was rather slow in the morning. It appeared the fish at the same spots were rather educated, finally. :P We finished the last day's fishing on the island, and still managed to bring out quite a few big fish.

In total, we must have caught around 150 smallmouth bass. We basically stopped counting after the first twenty fish on the first day. ;D Most fish were between 12 and 16 inches in length. About 5% of the fish were up to 18 or 19 inches. Olive or black tubebaits worked extremely well. :) Both of us used 2-6lb test spinning rods, with small Shimano reels spooled with 6lb test.

We did not take as many photos during this trip. Nina and I spent most of our non-fishing time filming each other fishing. ;D :P Lots of bass video coming up, some pretty exciting footages. ;D Fishersak took some great photos with his SLR camera, they'll be available when he gets back. Below are some of the photos that Nina and I took during the last few days. Enjoy. :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: St Mary's Lake July 13th - 16th
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 10:33:19 PM »

Wow, sounds like a great holiday. :)

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 10:54:39 PM »

Awsome report rod, thanks for the pics
I like ROE

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 10:56:31 PM »

wow what a holiday, sweet pics
weeeeeeeeeow!

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 03:05:31 PM »

Good fishing and good company  ;D

Salt Spring Island and St. Mary’s Lake never fail to deliver. It is a nice and peaceful place to spend a few days recuperating. The fish fought way harder this year compared to previous years (the pain in my left arm confirms this  ::) ) and they were also skinnier. I wonder if the aggressiveness of the fish is due to starvation during the winter months. This would at least explain the leaner fish this year. Although we probably caught around 150 fish, we only kept and ate one  ::)

Overall a very good trip (as always) and we are definitely coming back next year  ;D  :)

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 04:42:30 PM »

Hey rod, whats the situation with the boats...I see on LM's web site they have boats l...are they included or do you rent them.  Are there boats that would be suitable for a 3 and 4 yr old (ie enuff room to move around and are stable)?

Thanks

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 05:09:33 PM »

The boats at Lakeside Gardens are for rental only. I don't know exactly what are available as we have been bringing our own boat each time. If I remember correctly, they have two aluminum boats with electric motors that can accommodate up to 4 people (one family). IMO however, the boats at Lakeside Gardens mostly cater casual boaters, not fishermen, so they are not equipped with all the necessary gadgets. It is best to bring your own if you have access to one. For more information, phone Mark and ask him about what are available. They are quite booked up right now, for the next couple of weeks anyways.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 10:52:10 PM »

NIce fish!!!

A week then im off to party at Christina lake and hopefully land a sh!tload of smallies like every year. This year i think i'm gonna focus on fly fishin them. Hopefully i can beat 19inches which was the largest of last year.

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 11:17:19 PM »

Just got in...had a GREAT time, and my wife is already asking me when the trip will be next year.  (she has been avoiding fishing for the last couple of years thinking all fishermen were of the obnoxious Vedder type...)  This is a great fishery for those less talented fisher people like myself and my wife.  (you just can't help but catch those guys...)   We also managed to hook countless numbers in all sizes and some really large ones late one evening.  Pictures to follow tomorrow.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention...the company was pretty good also....thanks Rod and Nina!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 04:50:46 PM »

Fishersak's photos