Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, November 2nd 2014  (Read 2768 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Chilliwack River, November 2nd 2014
« on: November 02, 2014, 06:43:03 PM »

Seeing that the river level has dropped back to when we did well a few days ago, Nina and I went out for a couple of hours this afternoon before dark to see if we could find some more coho salmon by casting our spoons.

We found them. Nina's first two casts were not great. First one hooked a leaf, second one had a tangle. On the third cast she hooked one that shook the rod around and it was obviously a coho salmon. The fish stayed on the hook for 5 seconds before it spat the hook when it splashed around on the surface.

I then made my first cast and immediately had a tug but it didn't commit properly. A few more cranks on the reel brought it back and this time it slammed on the spoon. It went for some furious runs before swimming into the net. A nice hatchery-marked doe around 8lb was on the beach. This fish had deep-hooked itself so wasn't getting away.

Soon after dispatching this fish, Nina was again into another fish with a solid hook set. This fish fought like the previous by darting fast all over the place. Unfortunately it came off after 10 seconds.

I finished the day with another good fish that grabbed the spoon when it almost reached my feet. It was a hatchery-marked buck, around the same size as the other one. Since this one looked a bit beaten up with quite a few scratches along its entire body, I decided to sent it back for someone else to enjoy.

The last 30 minutes before dark didn't really produce, but it was a great way to end the weekend.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, November 2nd 2014
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 06:50:41 PM »

When will the little one start fishing??  You are having all the fun!!   

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 07:56:40 PM »

When will the little one start fishing??  You are having all the fun!!

The little one is fishing. See above picture ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 08:30:41 PM »

Come on now, easy with the size. I'm sensitive when it comes to that subject... :o

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 09:54:38 PM »

Come on now, easy with the size. I'm sensitive when it comes to that subject... :o

Why ???  ;D ;D

Pin-nook

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 10:16:08 AM »

Great day out yesterday!

With 2 hatchery fish already on ice, I fished another spot where I was shocked not to find anyone fishing.  On the second drift, the float just rockets under so I set super hard and the rod starts bouncing and I can feel its a coho spinning and sure enough you can see the flashes and when I go to pull the fish in there's blood streaming out from the gills. As I get it to shore I can see the hook lodged in the throat, normally I pass on the bucks but this one was bleeding bad so this one was coming home with me.  2-3 drifts later coho on again but this one fought like a champ and the flashes were brighter and bigger. When it came to the surface I could see it was a big hatch doe and twice the size as the 7-8lbs buck I had just killed. The fish just would give up and kept darting away. I really wanted this fish so I didn't horse it too much but when I finally got it close to shore I can see the hook lodged deep in the roof of it's mouth so then I felt more secure but as I grabbed my leader to steer it in for a tail grab I hear a snap but the fish is upside down and not aware it was loose so with the open hand I try to grab the tail and I can barely get my hand around it so this fish had to be over 10lbs easily. Needless to say, as soon as I gripped the doe she gave one hard kick and off she went!

To shorten the story, I hooked and landed a smaller hatchery doe not long after retying to limit out but kept fishing. In total I landed 8(no wilds) and lost 2 big cohos and no chum.  Personally, I think Vedder is almost done.  Call me picky but other than 1 fish I killed and the monster doe I lost, most of the fish I landed were on the dull side of chrome!  Great day though and not bad for a second outing this year for coho. 

PS. Just a plug from Trophy Tackle, the bullet coho I killed first was off a spinner and the rest was on 3 year old chum roe.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 11:43:09 AM »

definitely not chrome, but a beauty nevertheless!
It ain't the roe bro'