Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salmon Sharks  (Read 5540 times)

wizard

Salmon Sharks
« on: January 08, 2010, 05:05:14 PM »

Has anyone ever fished for Salmon Sharks?  I was checking out some videos on youtube and was very impressed with these fish.  From what I can tell, they put up one hell of a fight.  unfortunately from what I see alot of salmon sharks are killed for trophy or food (don't know how good they would be to eat).  Also you are allowed to keep one per day and two per year.  they are generally between 6.5 to 10 feet in length and are prevalent in Alaska. 
Anyone else have any info on Salmon Sharks?

Dr. Backlash

Re: Salmon Sharks
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 05:56:57 PM »

Personally, I would never want to fish for Salmon Sharks; but I saw a documentary on them a couple of months ago and they're probably the most amazing species I have ever seen!  The crazy thing is that they're warm blooded and they swim in icy cold water, and it allows them to swim faster than their prey - what an awesome fish!!

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 07:24:32 PM »

when i was up fishing on the west coast of the QCI my guide was always going off about how fun it was fishing salmon sharks and how good tasting they were
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 10:15:33 PM »

I've seen them while fishing Haida Gwaii and have had them cut off my line-just rubbing across one is enough.

They aren't just long but are thick through, it would take a focused effort to hook one up and some luck/guts to land one in a small skiff.

For instance they love Salmon-all fine and good-except it's against the law to use sport caught fish as bait

That's not to say people don't do it but Be Careful who you tell about how/what you do.(IIRC Alaskan charters used commercial caught Pinks for the most part)

Some Info Here

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 09:38:05 AM »

3 years back while fishing out of Englfield bay Resort, my Dad got into one while fishing for Hali's. WHAT A FIGHT!!!!! We ended up getting it close to the boat, and then we cut the line as we didn't want to mess with this thing. The teeth are crazy and the acrobatics of these fish are AMAZING!!!

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 11:53:47 AM »

Has anyone ever fished for Salmon Sharks? 

aYup! I have a good Buddy who is completely addicted to chasing salmon sharks. Used to come over to The Rock each and every summer just for that (although he also went after salmon and hali's on the West Side). Went with him a few times, and gotta admit it was damn exciting!

He runs halibut or sturgeon style rods, loaded with 180 pound braid, 250 pound braided stainless wire leader attached to two over-sized single hooks. Bait of choice was fresh whole pink salmon, purchased directly from a commercial fishing boat. We targeted the area on the inside around Malcolm Island, good spot. There is an annual pilgrimage of these sharks that wander in there, chasing the schools of sockeye and pinks that are funneling through.

Like salmon, they like a slow roll to the bait - tricky to do. Drug the offering off the wire (double release clips) at near 3.5 knots, and when the hit comes, there is NO doubt you are hooked up!  :o

And, they fight like a Machine on Steroids often airborne, blistering runs, and sounding like some super-sized spring! average battle was about 3 HOURS! Man, you want to talk ACHING arms!!  ;)
Boatside, they look very much like a smaller version of a Great White, and you'd best not get your fingers anywhere near their business end!

I am uncertain of the regs governing retention. My Buddy always releases them. He does have a tagging stick, much like the one used to tag swordfish in warmer climes, and he does tag each one he battles. I was there when we landed one he had tagged two years previously, simply recorded the number and let it go.

Some VERY serious action! Hardcore to the max! I am hoping he makes the run out again this year, and if he does, you can bet where I'll be when he sets out after them again!

Cheers,
Nog

gman

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 09:06:11 PM »

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 09:17:36 PM »

Pretty cool video but doesn't this look fun?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKjS5irBAG0&NR=1
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 09:30:44 PM by lucky »

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 09:34:26 PM »

Salmon Sharks in QCI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmtnAWA_bAI

Looks like they broke the law twice over-using a sport caught fish for bait and using chum-both strictly against the law in Canada.

My bet is that once I contact Langara Island Lodge that video will disappear.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 11:44:55 PM »

I don't recall which part of the regulation mention it is illegal by using sport caught fish for bait ??  But i do remember 100% by talking to many DFO offices about using sport caught fish as bait and as long its under your legal allowable limit, you most welcome to.  Just like jigging your own herring or anchovy for salmon fishing, as long as it under your 20Kg limit,  it is 100% legal.   Chumming on the hand is not but on the video you can't really tell they are chumming or just bleeding out a fish??

Hookbender

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 10:24:41 AM »

Here are a few pics of one we foul hooked ( in tne tail) off Brooks penisula last summer.Took us an hour to bet him to the boat.

Hookbender

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 10:27:08 AM »

Same family as great whites and makos

Bill

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 05:47:39 PM »

So I'm curious what parts of the shark do you keep? My next question is when did you finally realize you foul  hooked the shark by the tail after the first breach second breach or after you finally got it to the boat good on you  and your Friends.

Hookbender

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 08:55:19 PM »

The fish never showed itself ,three reel spooling runs in a row,we thought it might be a big halibut.Had to chase it backwards in 4 meter seas.
Finally saw it at a top up a wave 2 meters above our boat 50meters back,pretty wacky experience.Hooked right at the end of it's tail,got it to the boat, yarded a board a pic or two and back to whence it came.
Life gets more and more interesting!