Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aluminum boat repainting  (Read 1175 times)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Aluminum boat repainting
« on: August 03, 2012, 10:33:20 AM »

I've decided it's time to refurbish and paint my old 12' Lund. There is the original layer of paint plus one more terrible spray bomb job on top. After doing a little searching around on the net I've read about using strippers maybe harmful on aluminum. Has anyone heard of or used aircraft stripper before? should I just take the grinder to it with a wire wheel? Also any suggestions on primer / paint brands for this application and prep after stripping aluminum would be much appreciated, thanks.

sg6804

Re: Aluminum boat repainting
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 12:20:36 PM »

Aircraft stripper is fine on aluminium  you can get it at lordco  . But be very careful not to get it on your skin and wear proper safety gear . And once you are done  make sure you rinse it with water and soap after you are done  .  Then sand it with 240 grit and re wash the boat ,also note you are going to have to use a high quality epoxy etch primer made for aluminium . Then top coat with a good quality paint .

The other option once it is stripped is to get the hull powder coated as it sticks very well to aluminium 

using the stripper can be very messy i would lay down plastic and tarps to catch the waste , also note it will stain your concrete

hope this helps

Pete

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
Re: Aluminum boat repainting
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 01:25:09 PM »

Give it a good wash. let it dry and spray/brush with tremclad, your done, good to go.

Never mind all that other stuff. Unnecessary cost and labor IMO.