Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buying gear off the net  (Read 2372 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Buying gear off the net
« on: August 02, 2012, 10:28:26 PM »

So I thought it might be alright to buy my next fly reel for some discounted crappy fly line off the net. Get on ebay and start looking for the "deals".The long and short of it is, a picture tells a story. A picture of what they said was a fly reel for a 5/6 weight fly reel ends up looking like my beer can in diameter. :-\ I don't even think I'll get more than 50 feet of line on the reel. :-\

Started rubbing my head about wtf I'm going to fish with the set up. Decided if I can get a tiny rod to match the tiny reel the grand kids got a great first set up. So not  bad deal in the end. Just remember when you look at the pictures of gear on the net it might not be to your scale.

another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

speycaster

Re: Buying gear off the net
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 10:41:22 PM »

That is funny writing on the box,I wonder if they know anything about flyfishing ? ;D

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 11:39:01 PM »

What did that set ya back, $8....lol
Take the T out of Morton.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 12:16:05 AM »

"Comfortable jumbo knob".

Can't go wrong.

scuntor

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 07:26:59 AM »

You win some, you lose some when you buy online sometimes. I'm more concerned with the beer choice.  :'(

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 07:54:12 AM »

I feel like the jumbo knob  :) It was 10 bucks and for the price it's not too bad, just small. The beer is cheep and helps to smooth out any rough edges from bad internet deals. Worse yet I've got more stuff coming so I better get some more beer. :P

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 07:58:03 AM »

There are some good deals to be had out there as well. I just bought a brand new (tags on it) Shimano Convergence 10.5 MH baitcaster rod for $60.   :)

Beer goes well with those kind of deals as well....  ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 08:12:57 AM »

I did get some great deals on swivels and split rings to use in making some lures. Just got carried away as I really don't need any more reels. :) Bought this goofy little hand held sewing machine that made my other half say I was losing it. Beer.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 08:29:17 AM »

I like to get my photo gear  from ebay alot of good deals. What puzzles me is the same package from the states is 24 bucks shipping but from china its free??
Take the T out of Morton.

ziggypal

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 09:34:49 AM »

You win some, you lose some when you buy online sometimes. I'm more concerned with the beer choice.  :'(

Lol. Thats funny.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 06:13:12 PM »

I like to get my photo gear  from ebay alot of good deals. What puzzles me is the same package from the states is 24 bucks shipping but from china its free??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postal_Regulatory_Commission

"consult with the Department of State on international postal policies, prevent cross-subsidization or other anticompetitive postal practices,"

Amazingly I couldn't find the smoking gun but from what I remember the USPS was taken to court by UPS, FedX and other companies for unfair anti competitive monopoply business practices. So that the USPS had to charge higher rates so that the compition could make a big profit. I definetly could be wrong because it has been awhile since it happened. But i did do a fair amount of shipping.