Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alberni Inlet Fish Kill  (Read 1661 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Alberni Inlet Fish Kill
« on: August 01, 2012, 10:44:20 AM »

http://video.cheknews.ca/services/player/bcpid1011606683001?bckey=AQ~~%2CAAAA4mHNTzE~%2CejlzBnGUUKY1gXVPwEwEepl35Y795rND&bclid=975107450001&bctid=1762611081001

Apologies about the ad, couldn't find a way to post it without...

Rather strange occurrence! Herring and mackerel rolling up on the beaches here  :o

And What's With: "DFO cannot give an answer because their biologist is working on another project."  ::)

Weird!!
Nog

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Alberni Inlet Fish Kill
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 10:56:56 AM »

And What's With: "DFO cannot give an answer because their biologist is working on another project."  ::)

Weird!!
Nog

Probably busy working on a salmon feedlot project.....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

jump14

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 08:05:51 PM »

Wouldnt be the first time. About 5 years ago, I was working down at Clutesi Haven Marina down there and at 5am my co worker yelled at me to "come see this." I looked at the river and it was solid silver. What it was was THOUSANDS of pilchards which has swam up seeking cooler water being let out by the Great Central Lake dam. As one can guess, the salt water pilchards soon began to float on down the river and washed up along shores and the launch ramps where guides and bait fisherman happily scooped them up for bait. I guess its different due to the salt water fish dying in salt water but who really knows. Water is pretty warm there in the ocean I hear but thats just hear-say.

Jump

Shmoke Shaman

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 08:11:08 PM »

geez, they cant even get marine biologist to even determine cause of death. This could be a very serious issue that is being overlooked imo. Say NO to Enbridge pipeline! lol

777fishing

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 08:47:41 PM »

Wow! I really hope they find out the cause.  Big food source for other fish.  I hope this is just a small one time thing!!!

islanddude

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 07:23:56 AM »

Don't they have a pulpmill in Port Alberni? Hmmm.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 07:57:34 AM »

Need Shatner out there to get to the bottom of it. I guess one of the two remaining biologists is on vacation.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?