Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: floating the fraser  (Read 2240 times)

KLX

floating the fraser
« on: July 23, 2012, 05:38:56 PM »

Can anyone with personal experience suggest a good two day fish and float somewhere along the fraser between hope and langley?

We have a 13' raft
Camping on river
Need put in and take out info
The emphasis is on salmon fishing

Tia!

dennyman

• Old Timer
Re: floating the fraser
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 07:03:15 PM »

Unless that raft is like a zodiac type for instance, with a stable bottom and where you can put a motor on it, I would think floating the Fraser from Hope down to Langley is not a good idea. The Fraser although it looks calm enough has a strong current so if you get into trouble out  there it can escalate pretty fast. And with the higher water levels this year,  in my opinion it is not a good idea. 

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 10:35:02 AM »

were you the guy talking to me last week about the drift boat? bought the marine ply?

couple of guys were talking to me about using power drifters on the fraser.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

ziggypal

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 11:13:16 AM »

I went for a drive along the Fraser up to the mission bridge last week. The water was still very high and there was a lot of debris and wood floating down the river. It's probably very unsafe to be out there in a raft or even zodiac.

KLX

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 02:33:24 PM »

HI GUYS, my question is a general one and i didnt mean to imply i am planning on floating it tomorrow. i am looking for general put in take out info for floating with a whitewater raft on an ideal summer/fall day.
thanks

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 10:14:04 AM »

Canoing & kayaking the Fraser from Hope to Mission and below is fairly common. Have a look at this article. It's quite a number of years old now but may help give an idea of what's possible:

http://www.bcadventure.com/ianforbes/fraser/fraser.phtml

Canoe and Kyaking websites or groups may be a better source of info. Also look for a book called Fishing Fever which will provide info on where you launch and take out. Be aware at many place you might stop overnight you will be far away from any sort of facilities. You need to take enough water for example. Also check where Native reserves are along your route. Landing there may not be appreciated even if you check with a band office before hand.

http://www.fishingfeverbc.com/
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Dogbreath

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 07:25:45 PM »

There's some info buried in the back pages of this site-as Ralph says it's quite common

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/community/index.php