Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recent Chehalis River conflicts  (Read 8922 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Recent Chehalis River conflicts
« on: August 16, 2019, 08:02:39 PM »

FYI. C&P from my FB page.

As many of you already know, aside from the website and videos, I invest fair amount of my time on attending meetings that may concern the angling community in the Lower Fraser. Seeking solutions to sustainable fishing practices and resolutions to conflicts between user groups have always been an interest of mine. Primarily, as a business that depends on the well being of the natural resources, I feel obligated to invest on this as a way to give back. Secondly, I do it so my kids will hopefully have the same opportunities as I have had.

In the Lower Fraser River, the interests between recreational fisheries and First Nations' FSC fisheries often overlap. The issues can be complex and you really have to spend a good chunk of time to understand and appreciate the concerns being brought forward by both sides. My recent projects with Dennis at Respect for Fish and Marilyn at Murphy Sportfishing have given me a better understanding and ideas on how to approach these issues.

Today I was invited by Sts'ailes, or Chehalis First Nations, to a meeting, discussing recent conflicts on the Chehalis River. Fishing opportunities have been reduced drastically for recreational fishermen this year. With only two river salmon fisheries remaining in the Fraser Valley during the summer months (Chilliwack and Chehalis River), we are now seeing a spike of angling pressure on these systems when the fisheries peak. For the Chehalis River, it is a relatively smaller system in comparison to the Chilliwack/Vedder River so the infrastructures and resources are not necessarily ready for the high demand.

Here are several issues that have developed this summer:

1) Permitted parking areas are limited so anglers have chosen to ignore the no parking signs and private properties.

2) Trespassing on Chehalis First Nations' land has become a common occurrence.

3) Jet boating in the lower river has become a safety concern for families who are swimming in the area. Furthermore, anglers have neglected them by proceeding to fish in the same waters, forcing families to leave or creating conflicts between both groups.

Regarding parking and trespassing, I always like to believe that 99% of the people want and choose to follow the rules. There needs to be better signages to inform anglers where public parking and accesses are. This is something that both groups will continue to work on as we go into the fall river salmon season. Chief Ralph Leon Jr. and I had a lengthy and constructive conversation on these issues. He wants anglers to come and enjoy what the river offers, but at the same time he has legitimate concerns for his people's safety when trespassing occurs. I think all of us would have the same concerns if it occurs in our own backyards.

The bottom line really comes down to respect and sharing. If you are planning to fish the area, please be mindful of these concerns. A good day at the river is when everyone enjoys what the river offers in a safe manner.

We also discussed what potential impacts this spike of fishing pressure from both groups in terminal fisheries due to the closures in the Fraser River has on the stocks. This will require more discussions and hopefully lead to long term solutions.

Overall, I was very thankful to be a part of the dialogue, which I believe is the only approach to navigate through the challenges we have in the Lower Mainland fisheries right now. Please share these thoughts with others.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Recent Chehalis River conflicts
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 08:50:09 PM »

The Trespass To Property Act makes it an offence, without lawful authority, to enter onto posted or enclosed lands or other premises without the consent of the owner or another occupier.

contravening the Act could be fined up to $2,000.

Sounds like an issue for the RCMP

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 08:51:57 PM »

Yep. Both RCMP and DFO C&P were present at today's meeting. You have to give credits to Chehalis First Nations for not wanting to go with that approach immediately, but they've approached us instead so we can develop solutions together and make this fishery an enjoyable experience for everyone.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 09:38:40 PM »

Ralph is a good and I applaud him for his efforts. If more
Chiefs were like him the relationships between recreational fishermen and First Nations would be better.

Before the river rerouted it was
A very busy place to fish but there was lots of fishable water on the campground side. The last time I was there I seen people fishing on the other side.

To be honest I do not no where the reserve land is I just park in the day use area by the care taker and walk down the fishing trail. The fishing trail that Ralph was part of creating.

I have not fish there in the summer so I don’t no how busy it has gotten but I find it hard to believe that it’s busier then it was back on the day when there was lots of fish in the system.

I think a map with illustration showing where it’s
Private land and no trespassing would really help

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 10:14:58 PM »

Ralph is a good and I applaud him for his efforts. If more
Chiefs were like him the relationships between recreational fishermen and First Nations would be better.

Before the river rerouted it was
A very busy place to fish but there was lots of fishable water on the campground side. The last time I was there I seen people fishing on the other side.

To be honest I do not no where the reserve land is I just park in the day use area by the care taker and walk down the fishing trail. The fishing trail that Ralph was part of creating.

I have not fish there in the summer so I don’t no how busy it has gotten but I find it hard to believe that it’s busier then it was back on the day when there was lots of fish in the system.

I think a map with illustration showing where it’s
Private land and no trespassing would really help

Google maps has an integrated FN reserve map option now. Itll detail all boundries. Nice and simple.

Danny21

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 12:22:23 AM »

FYI. C&P from my FB page.

As many of you already know, aside from the website and videos, I invest fair amount of my time on attending meetings that may concern the angling community in the Lower Fraser. Seeking solutions to sustainable fishing practices and resolutions to conflicts between user groups have always been an interest of mine. Primarily, as a business that depends on the well being of the natural resources, I feel obligated to invest on this as a way to give back. Secondly, I do it so my kids will hopefully have the same opportunities as I have had.

In the Lower Fraser River, the interests between recreational fisheries and First Nations' FSC fisheries often overlap. The issues can be complex and you really have to spend a good chunk of time to understand and appreciate the concerns being brought forward by both sides. My recent projects with Dennis at Respect for Fish and Marilyn at Murphy Sportfishing have given me a better understanding and ideas on how to approach these issues.

Today I was invited by Sts'ailes, or Chehalis First Nations, to a meeting, discussing recent conflicts on the Chehalis River. Fishing opportunities have been reduced drastically for recreational fishermen this year. With only two river salmon fisheries remaining in the Fraser Valley during the summer months (Chilliwack and Chehalis River), we are now seeing a spike of angling pressure on these systems when the fisheries peak. For the Chehalis River, it is a relatively smaller system in comparison to the Chilliwack/Vedder River so the infrastructures and resources are not necessarily ready for the high demand.

Here are several issues that have developed this summer:

1) Permitted parking areas are limited so anglers have chosen to ignore the no parking signs and private properties.

2) Trespassing on Chehalis First Nations' land has become a common occurrence.

3) Jet boating in the lower river has become a safety concern for families who are swimming in the area. Furthermore, anglers have neglected them by proceeding to fish in the same waters, forcing families to leave or creating conflicts between both groups.

Regarding parking and trespassing, I always like to believe that 99% of the people want and choose to follow the rules. There needs to be better signages to inform anglers where public parking and accesses are. This is something that both groups will continue to work on as we go into the fall river salmon season. Chief Ralph Leon Jr. and I had a lengthy and constructive conversation on these issues. He wants anglers to come and enjoy what the river offers, but at the same time he has legitimate concerns for his people's safety when trespassing occurs. I think all of us would have the same concerns if it occurs in our own backyards.

The bottom line really comes down to respect and sharing. If you are planning to fish the area, please be mindful of these concerns. A good day at the river is when everyone enjoys what the river offers in a safe manner.

We also discussed what potential impacts this spike of fishing pressure from both groups in terminal fisheries due to the closures in the Fraser River has on the stocks. This will require more discussions and hopefully lead to long term solutions.

Overall, I was very thankful to be a part of the dialogue, which I believe is the only approach to navigate through the challenges we have in the Lower Mainland fisheries right now. Please share these thoughts with others.

Just imagine if there was no social media bragging and certain tackle shop employees could keep quiet once and awhile... tough to imagine this nowadays with a lot of new comers looking for that hero status.. What ever happened to hiding your fish?? http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/Smileys/default/cheesy.gif
A sad state for a river that not too long ago was *relatively quiet and productive in many areas. It's been sad to watch its decline.
I've fished it for many years and never had any issues on that side. However, I fully support them not wanting anyone going down there, especially nowadays. We as fisherman need to do better.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 01:46:55 AM »

Google maps has an integrated FN reserve map option now. Itll detail all boundries. Nice and simple.
I don't see an easy way to view it, but I did notice that when you view the river in "map" view, the map shows the old channel, and the river never touches the reserve boundary, but when you switch to "satellite" view, you can see the new channel that goes right through the reserve.  It's curious because if the reserve boundary had been defined on that side as following the river, the change in the river course would have substantially shrunk their territory, but because the river never passed through it before, the river becomes a part of their territory. 

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 05:09:50 AM »

What are the recent conflicts ? What's happened here ?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 10:14:58 AM »

What are the recent conflicts ? What's happened here ?

I listed them out in my original post already.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 10:37:44 AM »

I listed them out in my original post already.

Sorry I just didnt really think that morons took jet boats into the Chehalis. That just seems outrageous to me I overlooked  it. At first I assumed you were talking about the Harrison area near the Chehalis.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 02:05:44 PM »

Yep. I think we can all agree that jet boating in narrow pieces of water where swimmers are present is a safety concern.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 03:03:19 PM »

Yep. I think we can all agree that jet boating in narrow pieces of water where swimmers are present is a safety concern.
Reminds me of the jet boats coming up the Vedder in the summer.  Do we know if the reported jet boats are fishers or just crazy recreational boaters like we saw on the Vedder?

Also, not to defend the jet boaters, but one reason people fish from them is to access rivers when there is no legal shore access . . .

cdjk123

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2019, 06:38:27 PM »

Just imagine if there was no social media bragging and certain tackle shop employees could keep quiet once and awhile... tough to imagine this nowadays with a lot of new comers looking for that hero status.. What ever happened to hiding your fish?? http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/Smileys/default/cheesy.gif
A sad state for a river that not too long ago was *relatively quiet and productive in many areas. It's been sad to watch its decline.
I've fished it for many years and never had any issues on that side. However, I fully support them not wanting anyone going down there, especially nowadays. We as fisherman need to do better.

*cough* fred's *cough*

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2019, 06:51:46 PM »

Reminds me of the jet boats coming up the Vedder in the summer.  Do we know if the reported jet boats are fishers or just crazy recreational boaters like we saw on the Vedder?

Also, not to defend the jet boaters, but one reason people fish from them is to access rivers when there is no legal shore access . . .

Some of them dont even fish. I can recall last Chum season on the Harrison. We saw three mini jets fly thru the Harrison estuary. ZERO regard for spawning Chum AND rec anglers in the main stem. They came inches from shore. I even saw one guy hop an island with his mini jet.

dave c

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2019, 08:33:46 AM »

Is it acceptable to the band to park on other side if bridge and walk down to lower river using the dyke?  Ive seen other cars parked in the lot just off the road but i don't do that. Just wondering.  Thanks