Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: can a fly rod be used with center pin reel.  (Read 6981 times)

Murmillo

can a fly rod be used with center pin reel.
« on: October 20, 2014, 03:44:31 PM »

I have a 9 wt fly fishing setup which I never use. I am new into center pin fishing. I have a reel which I am using with a spin casting rod. I am wondering can the 9 wt rod be used with the center pin reel? Any cons? Thanks.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
Re: can a fly rod be used with center pin reel.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 04:07:19 PM »

I have a 9 wt fly fishing setup which I never use. I am new into center pin fishing. I have a reel which I am using with a spin casting rod. I am wondering can the 9 wt rod be used with the center pin reel? Any cons? Thanks.

You can use anything if you want .  But use the right tools for the right job !!!!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 04:28:59 PM »

I've used my 8 weight switch with my CP and it works as well as my Loomis CP rod. I know other people use flyrods - it should have a fighting butt of some sort. In his very early shows Gary Cooper did this on occasion.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 04:38:29 PM »

Thanks - now I feel like getting a pin again and just using my 7wt switch with it. Sounds like it'd be fun  :D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

rustybee

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 04:39:12 PM »

As long as your 9wt is long enough (like in a spey rod).

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 05:52:48 PM »

I think Cooper used a 9.5 foot but I'd bet a 9 foot would work but don't expect to make long casts
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Murmillo

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 09:17:39 PM »

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. I was mainly worried about the fact that, does the mono line damages the rod guides? I will give it a try.
Cheers.

Dryfly22

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 10:15:09 PM »

It's funny. I actually called a local tackle shop about this and he said that over time the mono could damage the guides. But if you were just going to use it once in awhile. It should be fine. I never ended up trying it. Just took the fly rod and ended up hooking seven fish in a short period of time. I say leave the pin at home. So much fun on the fly. Plus you look cooler😉