Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Idiot almost loses hand  (Read 7292 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Idiot almost loses hand
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 09:26:02 AM »

Ban mono, ban braid, ban bouncing bettys, ban hooks bigger than2/0, ban roe, ban all bait - easy to get rid of all this stuff is to ban fishing.  ;D

As far loosing a hand or a finger - that could happen with any line. I'd say the biggest danger there would have been loosing a hand due to asphyxiation. My own near Darwin award experience was setting the hook on a salmon with loose fly line off the reel it slipped out of my finger and as the rod went up a loop of line went around my neck - I was within 20 seconds of a nomination but the fish stayed still and didn't run.

Braids can cut by simply touching the line while a large fish is running out line. Coated braids like Powerpro or Tufline Xp are far less likely to do that kind of damage.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bald_seagull

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 10:12:35 AM »

Ban mono, ban braid, ban bouncing bettys, ban hooks bigger than2/0, ban roe, ban all bait - easy to get rid of all this stuff is to ban fishing.  ;D

love the sarcasm

GordJ

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 05:10:00 PM »

As far loosing a hand or a finger - that could happen with any line. I'd say the biggest danger there would have been loosing a hand due to asphyxiation. My own near Darwin award experience was setting the hook on a salmon with loose fly line off the reel it slipped out of my finger and as the rod went up a loop of line went around my neck - I was within 20 seconds of a nomination but the fish stayed still and didn't run.

Braids can cut by simply touching the line while a large fish is running out line. Coated braids like Powerpro or Tufline Xp are far less likely to do that kind of damage.
Similar story today, hooked a chum and when I reeled in to get the fish on the reel I put a hitch on my finger. Had a b@&$h of a time getting slack and an extra hand to unhook finger and hold rod. Ban fly lines.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 11:48:17 AM »

That and spiderwire type lines, saw a guy nearly lose a finger on the saltchuck, he tried a straight pull on his snagged line with the line wrapped around his hand.....this was from a boat in a good swell, the boat moved upwards and this thinner ultra strong line almost pulled him over the side.

It also sliced his pinkie and ring fingers to the bone :o

So because some dummy cut himself doing something stupid, we should ban braid?

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 02:02:30 PM »

Me.

While fishing today, my retrieve brought in a length of braid...at least 60 pound. Thick stuff.

I was pulling it out of the water and saw a DNE float along it's length. Cool! Maybe I get get it in.

As I hand bombed the line in, a fish started tugging on the other end. Double cool! Maybe I can get a DNE float AND a fish. :)   

So I wrapped the line around my hand for extra purchase...and then I saw the chum...and then the line started to cut into my hand.

Brilliant move Shakepeare. You've got braid wrapped around your hand and you're playing a chum in the current. You didn't want that hand anyways, did you?

Fortunately the hook pulled free before the braid severed my hand. No fish...but I got the float!

On another note, what a spectacular day. Fall colours, low lying cloud clinging to the mountain sides, steady rain, mild temps, abundant birds (eagles, herons, dippers, horned grebes...I think I watched the dippers more than I watched my float) and more coho than I deserve.  Plus, I still have my hand and I'm +1 in the DNE department! :)     

Had a similar (but less injurous) incident on the Stave on Saturday. Fishing colorado blades and the float slowed down in the current. Figured it had hung up on something so started to bring it in. Float started moving upstream as it came in, then I saw that the blade was hooked on a piece of mono. Not an uncommon thing in the Stave but still unusual in deeper water, got it in close enough to shore to grab the garbage line and started pulling it in to get it out of the way...A bit surprised when it started pulling back! Managed to bring in a somewhat coloured chum doe with a nice shiny crocodile in her dorsal fin along with about 100 ft of line. Set her on her way free of the incumberance and added the croc to the tackle box!

Aurora

Wii
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 07:09:36 PM »

Should we all fish with Nintendo Wii?  I would rather risk a possible injury.