Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Idiot almost loses hand  (Read 7291 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Idiot almost loses hand
« on: October 17, 2014, 09:38:55 PM »

Me.

While fishing today, my retrieve brought in a length of braid...at least 60 pound. Thick stuff.

I was pulling it out of the water and saw a DNE float along it's length. Cool! Maybe I get get it in.

As I hand bombed the line in, a fish started tugging on the other end. Double cool! Maybe I can get a DNE float AND a fish. :)   

So I wrapped the line around my hand for extra purchase...and then I saw the chum...and then the line started to cut into my hand.

Brilliant move Shakepeare. You've got braid wrapped around your hand and you're playing a chum in the current. You didn't want that hand anyways, did you?

Fortunately the hook pulled free before the braid severed my hand. No fish...but I got the float!

On another note, what a spectacular day. Fall colours, low lying cloud clinging to the mountain sides, steady rain, mild temps, abundant birds (eagles, herons, dippers, horned grebes...I think I watched the dippers more than I watched my float) and more coho than I deserve.  Plus, I still have my hand and I'm +1 in the DNE department! :)       

Shawn6o4

Re: Idiot almost loses hand
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 10:12:27 PM »

Ouch! I've cut into my fingers a few times tying knots with braid doesn't feel too good can't imagine with a fish on the other end lol

4TheKids

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 10:29:24 PM »

Nice post. Love honest stories where it is 'how the h3ll did things go so wrong". Thanks.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 06:54:26 AM »

My braid slices through my fingers so easy. Even trying to pull a minor nest cuts me. I'm glad you're ok!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 08:29:53 AM »

On another note, what a spectacular day. Fall colours, low lying cloud clinging to the mountain sides, steady rain, mild temps, abundant birds (eagles, herons, dippers, horned grebes...I think I watched the dippers more than I watched my float) and more coho than I deserve.  Plus, I still have my hand and I'm +1 in the DNE department! :)     
Some years it seems there are more dippers than other years. Back '02 I fished the upper river and had one dipper that was so conditioned to fishermen she would swim on the surface within a couple of feet of me, sculling along with her wings and looking up at me while going by. I could have sworn she winked!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Stewie

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 12:49:13 PM »

That is a great story. Thanks for the entertainment.

KarateKick

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 01:48:59 PM »

I guess that means I shouldn't put braid on the kids' reels? Are all braid lines sharp?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 11:40:30 PM by KarateKick »

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 06:44:37 PM »

Im thinking its time that braid line is banned in rivers.
That stuff is nasty.

TheFishingLad

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 06:54:08 PM »

That stuff is nasty.

I think it's great stuff, certainly has it's purpose. I just feel it and the rod needs to be properly maintained to avoid breakage on the mainline. Most importantly use a swivel and proper leader so you only use 1-3ft of mono.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 06:58:37 PM »

Can someone explain how a chum broke off on 60lb braid?

Only thing I'd think of is the line was abraded/deteriorated when it broke suddenly.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 07:34:02 PM »

Can someone explain how a chum broke off on 60lb braid?

Only thing I'd think of is the line was abraded/deteriorated when it broke suddenly.
Earlier this season I lost half of a ceramic ring from one of my guides.  I didn't notice until I broke my braid off 50 yards of braid when I was hung up on bottom.  I've had the same thing happen with my rod tip and mono. 

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 07:57:53 PM »

I could have sworn she winked!

I don't doubt it. Rumour is you are quite a handsome devil.

Speyhead

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 02:31:41 AM »

That stuff is nasty.

That and spiderwire type lines, saw a guy nearly lose a finger on the saltchuck, he tried a straight pull on his snagged line with the line wrapped around his hand.....this was from a boat in a good swell, the boat moved upwards and this thinner ultra strong line almost pulled him over the side.

It also sliced his pinkie and ring fingers to the bone :o

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 07:25:42 AM »

That and spiderwire type lines, saw a guy nearly lose a finger on the saltchuck, he tried a straight pull on his snagged line with the line wrapped around his hand.....this was from a boat in a good swell, the boat moved upwards and this thinner ultra strong line almost pulled him over the side.

It also sliced his pinkie and ring fingers to the bone :o

You can't fix stupid.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 07:48:41 AM »

I have fished braid for years on my float rod and have never lost a foot of it.
You have to do something stupid to lose any significant amount of braid - get spooled by a fish, use mono backing and have it break at the knot, use really old braid.

If you want to clean up the river ban mono. There is way more of it lying around than braid and it is much easier to lose a lot of line.