Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weight setup for drift fishing  (Read 9178 times)

brandooner

Weight setup for drift fishing
« on: January 06, 2016, 11:26:24 AM »

I usually use a few sliding egg weights before my swivel but I have heard and read about using split shot staggered from your float down to your swivel in the past and want to try it out. I'm sure its been discussed here before but I'm too lazy to search for the answers.

Anyone out there prefer this method? Just wondering what size shot and positioning and spacing of the shot on the line. Thanks!

To make this thread more interesting what are your guys' preferred methods of rigging your weight and why. Cheers!
The Fishin' Musician!

wizard

Re: Weight setup for drift fishing
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 12:09:50 PM »

I usually use a sliding egg sinker or sliding piece of pencil lead on main line with or without a split shot couple inches above it depending on what size float I am using at the time.  No right or wrong, better or worse way about it, imo.  I sometimes use a few split shots slightly spread apart as well, depends what I have on hand.
I do prefer one of those rubber buzz bomb stoppers between sliding weight and swivel to protect knot from sliding weight, but use mini plastic beads as stopper as well however they can break over time and have had fish hit the bead stopper and weight ignoring my presentation :-\ so if I use a bead I try to use small, non colored ones.

Walleye76

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 01:35:29 PM »

The size and amount of split shot you use is dependant on the size of float your using, ie:20g float use 20g of weight, 25g float = 25g of weight (just like using egg, or pencil lead) you want your float to be balanced and only the indicator tip above the water line.Too much weight your presentation will be dragged down stream, too little and your float will too high in water and get dragged down stream(either way it will not allow for a "natural" presentation)  In my opinion it really comes down to personal preference what type of weight you use, I will say tho,  if going with split shot the ones without ears tend not to snag up as often as the ones that have ears.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 02:07:17 PM »

I'm an egg sinker - bead - swivel - leader - lure type of Guy.  I particularly like how it casts (I only use levelwinds) and the control I feel with knowing exactly where the weight is relative the structure and depth that I am fishing.  I never have to worry about line damage from crimping shot, the shot sliding around or fussing with them when my hands are cold.

That being said, I have used staggered split shot many times.  There's nothing 'wrong' with shot, and I stilll use them in a pinch.  Pun intended.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 02:36:40 PM »

Apparently Split shot provides a more natural presentation in slower water. They use it a lot back east for Great Lakes "steelhead".
For rivers like the Vedder where the majority of the water is turbulent I want my weight to get down and stay down - hence egg or pencil lead is best.

Shinny

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 09:15:12 PM »

I used to use pencil lead but found it hard to get the weight right and didn't cast as nicely as staggered split shot. In fast moving water I will put all the split shot right at the swivel to get it down quick in the water. If the water is moving slower I will stagger the shot tapering from heaviest at the swivel to smaller going up the line. I don't have any evidence that it makes for a nicer drag but I envision under the water the heaviest shot is lowest and the line has a nice curve too it.

all my shot has those wings to open them. I was told that these act as rudders under the water and spin your line. I have been meaning to try the non wing ones.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 09:32:20 PM »

I like pencil lead sliding on the mainline and sitting against the swivel.

Use a nail trimmer for dogs to trim your pencil lead. Really easy to trim off a tiny bit to fine tune your weight if you care to do so but best of all it provides a clean cut with a clean center hole.

Best tool ever for cutting your pencil lead.

Canucks win in regulation - finally. Horvat gets 2 goals.

bobby b

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 11:07:52 PM »

I use pencil lead , but have been trying different shot setups too. I am now trying to stick to round shots with no ears

I found this article helpful to understand how to setup shots depending on water conditions....

http://www.fishinglakesimcoe.ca/articles/open-water/float-fishing-shotting-patterns.html

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 12:44:29 AM »

I used to use pencil lead but found it hard to get the weight right and didn't cast as nicely as staggered split shot. In fast moving water I will put all the split shot right at the swivel to get it down quick in the water. If the water is moving slower I will stagger the shot tapering from heaviest at the swivel to smaller going up the line. I don't have any evidence that it makes for a nicer drag but I envision under the water the heaviest shot is lowest and the line has a nice curve too it.

all my shot has those wings to open them. I was told that these act as rudders under the water and spin your line. I have been meaning to try the non wing ones.

Youve got it backwards with the split shot. You want the bigger shot at the float staggering smaller to the swivel. The concept of staggered split shot is to get the nice bend in the mainline from float to swivel giving the fish a better look at the offering first.
I screw around with split shot almost always float fishing, I like how easy it is to adjust weight for example if I feel like tying on a jig. Sometimes I stack the weight up in pocket water, slower water spread it out.
I've also never had a problem damaging line crimping split shot, not sure how hard some of you are crimping it? I have had line chafe from hollow core lead sliding on main line even with some sort of buffer on the knot.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 01:34:46 AM »

I use split shot almost exclusively. Only time I will switch to pencil lead is when I am targeting chum and float fishing with jigs and bigger floats, or if I'm bouncing or drifting pencil lead or slinky's with roe/prawns through deep holes for summer run reds.
Good points have been made, but I like the versatility (clumping them together when the water is faster or spacing them out in slow or clear water as mentioned, or even if I want to swing or retrieve a blade). I have confidence in their small presentation, especially in spooky conditions with fussy fish. Split shot for me are a stealthier presentation then a hunk of pencil lead, I really doubt it makes a difference but it is just something I am confident in (guys have been using pencil lead for many years). But my style of fishing is just using whatever catches me fish and gives me confidence to fish with, it's no fun fishing with something you're not confident in. And as for crimping, if you're using any decent mainline, you shouldn't have a problem with any damage. And also about placing beads between lead and swivel, most of the time the bead will break fairly quickly from what I have noticed. I find split shot to not makes as much of a noise/splash when casting if they are spread out and you're sight fishing for summers or something like that. Plus adding and taking off weight with ease is a nice bonus too.
I remember fishing some really skinny water last March and hooking 6 steelhead running two small split shot and a small float with my buddy not touching a fish with pencil lead. I just believe it presents your bait a little nicer to the fish in some conditions.
But as I said earlier, fish with what gives you confidence. Its all about how you present your offering to the fish, after all, the fish is biting your hook and not your weight. Pencil lead and egg weights have been used for decades and certainly works, its just personal preference most of the time. Every type of weight works, but different types of weights can certainly be utilized under different conditions to suit the type of presentation you want to offer to a fish.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:36:58 AM by BCfisherman97 »

brandooner

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 10:23:47 AM »

Awesome! Thanks for the insight everyone!
The Fishin' Musician!