Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soda water to stop bleeding?  (Read 2736 times)

Tylsie

Soda water to stop bleeding?
« on: January 05, 2016, 05:53:41 PM »

As so often happens online, one thing lead to another and I was reading about using coke to stop the bleeding from a fish's gills after it has been hooked too deep. After some research it is apparently the Carbon Dioxide causing the gills to constrict and stop the bleeding. A small bottle of soda water is apparently ideal because it is just purified water and CO2.

Has anyone tried this, and did it work? I may start to carry a small bottle with me just in case. It certainly can't hurt a fish that is bleeding badly and will probably not make it.   

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
Re: Soda water to stop bleeding?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 07:04:57 PM »

If you had McGiver with you and a medivac team...
How long would you have to keep the fish out of water to administer the soda?
Should one use diet?
Or caffeine free?
Then what?
Carbon dioxide poisoning?

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 07:55:14 PM »

Explain to the Conservation Officer exactly what you are trying to do when he sees you pouring soda water into the gills of a bleeding wild Steelhead.

Maybe it works but how much do you pour in until the bleeding stops or the fish expires?

I think it would be best not to pour anything into the gills of fish until the procedure is approved.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 07:40:55 AM »

this has been going around the net for several years. Hoaxes often get passed around so freely they become adopted as fact. I did some research on carbonated water and CO2 a few years ago and there is little or evidence there is any effect one way or the other on any bleeding wounds. Soda water has long been touted as a simple cleaning solution and stain remover. It is clean and slightly acidic. It may wash away clotted blood but it won't staunch bleeding. You can discount this as a likely 'urban fishing myth'.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Tylsie

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 10:41:29 AM »

After some more research I am not so quick to dismiss it. This article from Outdoor Canada says it might have some validity.

http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/Coke_-_its_the_real_thing_to_stop_fish_bleeding

While I certainly won't be trying on a wild steelhead, I do have a couple of ice fishing trips coming. If one of the trout takes a hook to deep I will probably try it. Worst case scenario I have something to drink with my shore lunch.