Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How Fishing Looked like On The Fraser River, September 2, 1988  (Read 5971 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
How Fishing Looked like On The Fraser River, September 2, 1988
« on: December 30, 2015, 10:40:00 AM »

More from my VHS video vault, note the "Tent City" and the way some dressed. ;D ;D
Was very good times and lots of jacks to catch too. https://youtu.be/Ris9KZAnrPI

blueback

Re: How Fishing Looked like On The Fraser River, September 2, 1988
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 11:26:14 AM »

Awesome Chris; just like I remember it. I used to love to fish beside the old timers and listen to stories of what it used to be like. Sometimes share a snack and umbrella shade. Sadly, lots of those faces are no longer with us. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 11:48:24 AM »

Awesome Chris; just like I remember it. I used to love to fish beside the old timers and listen to stories of what it used to be like. Sometimes share a snack and umbrella shade. Sadly, lots of those faces are no longer with us.
Thanks I have so much of this, need to make a documentary one of this days but for now will just put up clips.

This is one of the first videos I filmed. I made a video for the Fraser Valley Salmon Society from it, will get it up when I find it amoung the hundreds I have.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 11:49:49 AM »

I got a kick out of buddy fishing in his banana hammock at 2:29.

Think maybe I saw the word "Simms" emblazoned across his butt.  ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 11:59:54 AM »

I got a kick out of buddy fishing in his banana hammock at 2:29.

Think maybe I saw the word "Simms" emblazoned across his butt.  ;)
Yes and the way some of the fisher ladies were, "dressed", edited that out for now.lol

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 02:12:21 PM »

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. I got a kick out of the guy in the speedo  ;D ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 02:32:03 PM »

I guess life jackets weren't needed back then and good to see the Mennonite shuffle once again ;D

islanddude

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 05:34:24 PM »

We used to fish Bowman's bar back in the early 70's.
 My partner and I worked the night shift at York Farm's processing plant. Our shift in the summer was from 7pm-3am in the morning.
 We went to Bowman's bar right after work most of the summer. As the summer progressed and the water dropped we got to know just where on the bar would be the best position for our rods.
 Caught lots of limits of jack springs and the odd slab. That bar was awesome for jacks. Coho and steelhead into the fall also.
 Biggest steelhead we landed was over 20 lbs and most likely was a Thompson fish.

Is Bowman's bar even there any more?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 06:10:35 PM »

We used to fish Bowman's bar back in the early 70's.
 My partner and I worked the night shift at York Farm's processing plant. Our shift in the summer was from 7pm-3am in the morning.
 We went to Bowman's bar right after work most of the summer. As the summer progressed and the water dropped we got to know just where on the bar would be the best position for our rods.
 Caught lots of limits of jack springs and the odd slab. That bar was awesome for jacks. Coho and steelhead into the fall also.
 Biggest steelhead we landed was over 20 lbs and most likely was a Thompson fish.

Is Bowman's bar even there any more?
Changed some but people still fished it this year. We found it was best fishing on the incoming tide. Was just the best as everyone had a great time, never saw a confrontation then either, not like it is at times these days, so glad to have a lot of video of those days.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 07:49:18 AM »

Good stuff Chris.
Has been too long since I sat out there in the lawn chair.
Laughed at the guy walking around in the water in his old runners.
Exactly how I used to do it in the summer.
Bowmans was my favorite as well but more late 80,s early nineties.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 03:47:43 PM »

It sure was nice when the boats were small and the guys would pull the bow onto shore so you didn't have such an obstacle course to get your fish thru. Now everyone likes to anchor their boat to give themselves more room and to discourage other boats from coming onto the bar.
There used to be a time when a stranger would get his boat ready for you to hop in if you had a hot Spring on - now not so much.

Nice to look back.

Funny how advancements in technology never helped here.

Robert_G

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 08:55:18 AM »

I noticed you have another one up there from September of 1988. Good stuff. Nice shots of the one arm bandit (Herb) bringing in the Spring. I remember seeing him out there a lot. Is he still alive? I used to be out there bar fishing as far back as 1984. I probably knew most of those old timers. I don't remember the guy in the speedos though. :o

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 09:06:17 AM »

I noticed you have another one up there from September of 1988. Good stuff. Nice shots of the one arm bandit (Herb) bringing in the Spring. I remember seeing him out there a lot. Is he still alive? I used to be out there bar fishing as far back as 1984. I probably knew most of those old timers. I don't remember the guy in the speedos though. :o
Spoke to Herb recently but age has caught up with him so unable to fish now. We and many of us had many good times fishing with him. I am glad I have these videos to relive the good times.

Big Green Machine

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 07:23:59 PM »

Really enjoyed that, thanks for sharing!