Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Time of Day and Steelhead  (Read 6583 times)

Apennock

Time of Day and Steelhead
« on: December 29, 2015, 08:28:23 PM »

Most articles I find say that Steelhead strikes are a destructive measure more often than for sustenance which would suggest that times of day doesn't matter.  Have you found that to be true or is there a particular time of day that has been more productive?

Tenz85

Re: Time of Day and Steelhead
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 09:16:46 PM »

First light

Tenz85

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 09:19:02 PM »

Or shortly after it. N to say you won't hook up later in the day. Tons of other factors those like presentation, water condition, angling pressure, returns of that years stock, etc.

Drewhill

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 09:35:48 PM »

I've found later to be better. Maybe it's because the water warms up, not sure.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 10:06:07 PM »

Don't focus on time of day! Focus on spending quality time on the river! Over the years my records indicate it really doesn't matter what time it is morning, noon or evening! Ah steelhead, they bite it or they don't while you fish and step along side working a run!

Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

sbc hris

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 11:07:52 PM »

I haven't found time of day to be particularly important. But I ususlly fish less pressured rivers. On a river like the Vedder, first light probably is a better time to fish, but only because the fish have rested all night, and haven't been pounded all day by the masses, surely becoming more and more spooked as the day goes on.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 06:01:27 AM »

My first 10 fish were all at 10-10:30.
Recently I have been catching more at first light.
Either way I don't need to be first on a run to catch fish.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 02:40:00 PM »

From my limited experience, angler pressure is the overriding factor with these fish rather than time of day.  They are big trout and will hammer almost anything if not already spooked.  On the few occasions I have fished water that has had no angling pressure whatsoever, I have caught fish at any time of the day.  In the absence of angling pressure, many other factors such as, water clarity, temperature, ambient light, etc, etc. will have a greater influence than the time of day (except that the time of day may obviously influence things such as temperature, light etc).

So if you are fishing the Vedder, first light is one of many many variables that will probably help to increase your chances, but if you are in the back of beyond where fish hardly ever see an angler, you can enjoy those extra hours in bed without feeling you are missing out.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 02:42:31 PM by Knnn »

ribolovac02

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 03:56:06 PM »

I fished the vedder for stealhead last 8 years at least , I cought lots of stealhead, I have yet to catch one first light lol.
I guess it has something to do with that I never start fishing before 8:30-9 ...
I cover an average of 3-5 km of river each outing and even tho I have cought them throuout the day, I will say that early season most mine are cought between 9-11 am, just my observation ..

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 04:21:14 PM »

My best times on the vedder and the stamp/sproat is always between 9:30 and 11 am. I would show up at some stack holes on the stamp/sproat and not get anything at first light, and then hit 5 fish in a half hour span starting around 9:30 to 10:00 am.

Last year I found that the Vedder fished best in the last 2 hours of the day. It really does vary year to year, and it's best to talk with lots of buddies and see when they are getting fish and target that time of day.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 09:27:05 AM »

Too many variables.
Water colour, Temperature, pressure, the weather prior and during your outing, being in the zone, presentation, size of presentation....

There is no golden rule only lots of variables that take time to figure out.

You can't compare yourself to others who fish regularly but you will find success if you hunt! (Keep moving).
Keep track of your succeses and your foils.

It's a never ending learning cycle.

When fishing for steelhead:
You ain't in Kansas anymore  ;)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 10:45:29 AM »

First light is usually better because you have first run through that water.
Otherwise there isn't a time better than others .
Maybe when its really cold and a little later in the day the water warms a little.

buck

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 02:15:49 PM »

Having fed steelhead juveniles for 30 years we found that feeding response was poor up to about 10:00 am. with only the occasional fish rising for food. Between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm feeding was great. At first we thought it was a temperature related issue but came to the conclusion that it was related to photo period.
As the light intensity increased so did the feeding response.

Water temperatures ranged between 6 -10 C. Ambient river temperatures would have been in the 4-6 C range. Steelhead were on a mix of river/well water.

As mentioned by others, a lot of other factors come into the equation when trying to get fish to bite.  I have noticed that a lot more fish are taken later in the day compared to first light.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 03:06:06 PM »

Having fed steelhead juveniles for 30 years we found that feeding response was poor up to about 10:00 am. with only the occasional fish rising for food. Between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm feeding was great. At first we thought it was a temperature related issue but came to the conclusion that it was related to photo period.

Water temperatures ranged between 6 -10 C. Ambient river temperatures would have been in the 4-6 C range. Steelhead were on a mix of river/well water.

As mentioned by others, a lot of other factors come into the equation when trying to get fish to bite.  I have noticed that a lot more fish are taken later in the day compared to first light.
I agree and one can sleep these days to noon before heading out. ;D ;D ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 04:44:22 PM »

Great info from a guy who fed them and, is as good as any and far better than most at catching them ;)