Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing suggestions for some holiday visitors?  (Read 4090 times)

NothingToSnagAbout

Fishing suggestions for some holiday visitors?
« on: December 23, 2015, 07:04:24 AM »

Got some friends and family coming from out east to visit me in Vancouver from dec 25 - jan 4, wondering where to take them river/lake fishing from shore? They won't be bringing much gear if any beyond some gum boots and some spinner rods. We know it's a slow time of year but wondering where you guys recommend taking them for some action? Anything would be fine, small trout whatever.

Thanks in advance, oh and Happy Festivus!!!

ajransom

Re: Fishing suggestions for some holiday visitors?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 08:35:31 AM »

Slow, yes, but still options...

Check out the Pacific angler fishing reports, they will give you some options. For rivers, best bet is the Vedder. You can fish in gum boots and may even luck out and catch a steelhead. Squamish is also an option but you may have a harder time getting into a fishable place without waders...

Lakes will be slower but not to be ruled out. Rice lake seems to be the pick for local stocked rainbows.

Just make sure your visitors get a licence and if they are even targeting steelhead, a steelhead tag too. Might cost them a bit though as they will be non-residents.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 10:03:07 AM »

Just another thought.  Hitting some of the local piers or jetties could be fun.  Bring a crab trap and some spinning gear and have at it.  Might luck out with a couple of keepers and have some fun in the meantime catching perch, dogfish, flounder or whatever else is down there. 

If they want a more wilderness experience and its not too cold you could try heading up the Sea to Sky towards Stump, Fawn and Edith Lakes.  Or head out to the Valley and try Mike Lake?  Or get to a creek mouth on Allouette, or along the Pitt?  Lots of options, depending if they are anglers who want to catch a good sporting specimen in a nice environment, or equally going for stocked trout in an urban lake...

As always, check the regs no matter where you end up (ahead of time), get those licesnes and make sure they dress for the weather.

Most of all, have fun.

hrenya

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 01:44:55 PM »

I would recommend Rice Lake for sure as one of the places you must visit if it`s not frozen yet . I haven`t been there over a week now . Highly recommend you shrimps under a float , or powerbait on the bottom (last time I think was luck only with garlic smell).
It`s not too much action right now , I did tried Browning lake , my bud got 1 and a guy on another side got 1 , that was it for 4 hours :D
that`s as far as I know good spot for trout and easy access

Dylb

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 06:07:55 AM »

If you do try a local lake I would suggest bottom fishing with powerbait. Only way I have seen anyone catch anything over the past few weeks

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 10:00:41 AM »

Ended up taking some folks and their kids to Rice Lake last week. The hikers hiked while the anglers fished. It was treading zero degrees and we had to keep punching holes around the dock through one inch of ice. We pulled in a few trout on power bait at around 10am. My seven-year-old daughter came out fishing for the first time, wasn't getting any bites. After half an hour, I asked if she was getting cold/bored and wanted to go home. She said, "No, Daddy, I want to stay, it's very relaxing." So awesome!

A few minutes later, she snags something on the bottom, which I assumed was a branch. She slowly reels in the rod and brings up a four foot kid's rod, absolutely thrilled. Brought it home, cleaned it up and put on some new line and a float to help her practice casting in the house. She briefly closes her eyes, puts one foot back and slowly exhales before every cast, like some fish whisperer.

She got skunked that day but not really. Not at all, in fact.  ;)

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 10:16:49 AM »

Awsome ;)

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 06:50:40 PM »

She briefly closes her eyes, puts one foot back and slowly exhales before every cast, like some fish whisperer. She got skunked that day but not really. Not at all, in fact.  ;)

Pretty damn priceless, thanks for posting, that cheered up my day.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 08:50:15 PM »

priceless memories fishing with your Daughter :)
seems like she hooked the big one of the day ;)