Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question on Vedder!  (Read 3355 times)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Question on Vedder!
« on: February 17, 2005, 08:08:44 PM »

Is there enough water flow for new fish to move in? or would it be better to wait till after some rain?
also is it true that salmon stay in the river for 3 weeks and steelhead for 8 months? thanks Ryan.
The Bigger The Better!

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
Re: Question on Vedder!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 08:29:18 PM »

Not sure about the water level bit. But Steelies do remain in the river for quite a long time before either dying, or returning to the ocean. This is why I reckon that you find coloured steelies in with clean ones. The winters will be silver now, but there still may be some coloured summer run fish. Being a trout, they're more suited to fresh water I think, so they don't colour up as fast. Salmon on the other hand are suited to the salt water, and colour up a lot faster in water they are unfamiliar with.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 08:40:30 PM »

Is there enough water flow for new fish to move in? or would it be better to wait till after some rain?
also is it true that salmon stay in the river for 3 weeks and steelhead for 8 months? thanks Ryan.
Lots of water and the tidal effect from the ocean effects the water level in the canal part of the Vedder around 5 hours later. This is a good time to fish in the canal as the fish will move with the incoming tide.

A lot of people do not know of the tidal effect this far up the Vedder and the Fraser River and some anglers have had their boats drift away from them especially overnight in the Bowman's part of the Fraser as they did not secure them properly. Actual it has been suggested there is some tidal effect as far up as Hope but I can not prove that.

Re your question how long fish stay in the river after arriving. I imagine you are asking how long they stay and ripen until they spawn. I would suggest you do a search on the internet as you will get the correct info on the species you are interested in.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 09:19:44 PM »

Yeah, spent a couple minutes looking doubt ill find it anyways.Thanks for the ups.
The Bigger The Better!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 09:57:50 PM »

Yeah, spent a couple minutes looking doubt ill find it anyways.Thanks for the ups.
Some interesting info for you to read  http://www.naparcd.org/steelheadtrout.htm
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 10:02:57 PM by chris gadsden »

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 06:55:10 AM »

Drove over on the Hwy yesterday.  There should be enough water.