Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What are you doing to clear the air?  (Read 5442 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
What are you doing to clear the air?
« on: February 17, 2005, 12:58:55 PM »

The Kyoto Protocol came into effect yesterday, hoping to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Website reference...

What are you doing, as a Canadian individual, to help the country meeting the target reduction?

What is your opinion on the protocol? Are these objectives realistic?

Do you think Canadians, or North Americans, in general, can make adjustment in our lives to reduce our gaseous waste, or will we still rank our wants higher than the significance of greenhouse gas reduction?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: What are you doing to clear the air?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 01:03:21 PM »

Eating less beans  ;D

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 01:34:04 PM »

I just passed AirCare 45 minutes ago. Does that help :D. I think so, I'm good ;D.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 01:55:03 PM »

Passed Aircare Monday.
Truck broke down Tuesday :'( and haven't driven since so there's that much less pollution.
Also cycling quite a bit with this good weather.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 02:55:21 PM »

The Kyoto Protocol came into effect yesterday, hoping to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Website reference...

What are you doing, as a Canadian individual, to help the country meeting the target reduction?

1) Encouraging my Cubs to plant gardens
2) Trying to kill more CO2 producing fish :D

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 03:26:20 PM »

Added more attic insultation last fall.  Now an R-60 house.  Alway recycling.  However, put 400K on the G. Caravan today.   ::)

As for beans...

Beans, beans, the musical fruit
the more you eat
the more you toot
the more you toot
the better you feel
so eat more beans with every meal   ;D

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 03:39:07 PM »

Showing you age Malcolm :-*

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2005, 04:54:46 PM »

I'm sitting here reading this with my 3yr old son on my lap and he rips one on me and laughs.  It's a guy thing.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2005, 10:22:19 PM »

I'm sitting here reading this with my 3yr old son on my lap and he rips one on me and laughs.  It's a guy thing.

Hmm, not really just a guy thing, really..... ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005, 10:48:04 PM »

So can we North Americans reduce our dependency of automobile to reduce emission? I honestly say I can't. Most of my work involves driving from one place to another, fast. How is the government going to drive us away from this luxury?

In Europe, an efficient public transportation system seems to be the answer. My stay in Denmark usually doesn't accompany by a car. It sure would be nice to drive around, especially during the harsh winter, but the need isn't there really. You can get around with ease on trains and buses. When arriving in the city center, city bikes that you can pick up will take you around really fast. While in Berlin last December, all I saw were Smart cars or similar small sized cars. With gasoline price at CDN$1.50 per liter, I guess bigger isn't better.

What's the general feeling about the US not being part of the protocol? The protocol itself may not be the best solution for the problem, but would it be wise to alien itself especially when it is the one of the major greenhouse gas producers in the world?

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2005, 01:15:11 AM »

There is a major difference between North America and some European countries when it comes to environment. Green Party even doesn't have a single seat in our parliament. This is not to say that I am an "environmental angel"  ::)

I try to do my share through recycling and river clean ups (sorry couldn't attend it last time because of familly emergency). Though I should get a "cleaner" car, once I have more money. Feeling bad not being able to do more, but hope the government will stick to the promise, but I think it will be very difficult to follow the promises. I think that it takes a lot of investments which will pay off economically and environmentally in long run but governments have short term planning only (up to next election). Hope somebody will have enough of guts to risk his/hers political carrer for a long term benefit. I know I would support it by my vote, if it would make sense in a long run. It will cost us a lot to clean up the mess in the future and to switch to cleaner energy source later because countries which start using renewable energy sources today will get faster to the point when they actually get economical benefits from it (using solar/wind/ ... or any other unspendable energy source). Their products should be cheaper if they used energy that doesn't cost much, if their medical system is not burned by sick people because of pollution, if their animals, and plants are healthier because they are not polluted, ...

Said all this I think we just have to wait and see, and try to do our part through our actions and raising our opinion even when we are not asked for it.

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2005, 07:16:58 AM »

;D i will cut down my garlic intake and eat less beans. ;Dand get them big trucks to go to aircare that will help. :o

Jimmy

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2005, 10:52:17 AM »

1) I have started ar pooling, I drive 2 guys to and from work.
2) Van passed air care Last friday.
3) looking for work in my home town so I don't need to put 100 km on my car each day.
4) I am looking to buy a new truck but will only look at a 4cyl.

What is the deal you can find 1000 6 or 8 cyl trucks or suvs but nothing in a 4? have we not noticed the gas prices in the last 2 years?

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2005, 11:07:38 AM »

What is the deal you can find 1000 6 or 8 cyl trucks or suvs but nothing in a 4? have we not noticed the gas prices in the last 2 years?

Look for early 90's Toyota's 4Runners, there not to hard to find in 4.

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2005, 09:27:34 PM »

im sellin my truck as it hurts my back too much. sorry 8 cylinder 305 but not a gas pig