Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Camping and fishing  (Read 8475 times)

Hung

• I'm a llama!
Re: Camping and fishing
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2005, 12:52:40 AM »

Thanks Reach for the info.  I plan to hike to the rapids one day and now will look into Princess Louisa Inlet.  Sounds great.  Will probably go to one of the lakes for trout fishing too.

I looked up the regulation but couldn't find any closure info in that area yet.  Will have to call and ask specifically.  IF they're open, what did you use for rockfish?  Bait, lure or buzzbomb?  Thanks for any tip you can give me.  Come to think of it, I will probably fish from shore or dock rather than from the boat.  Don't want to bring those spiky creatures onto my inflatable, sturdy as it is  ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2005, 12:59:06 AM »

Casting buzz bombs from shore will catch rock cods.

reach

• Yard work can wait.
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2005, 11:09:37 AM »

Yep, buzz bombs work great, as do any other wounded baitfish type jig or lure.  Live or dead bait works great too - herring or shiner perch.  Of course there won't be any shiners around until later in the season.

They are spiky little critters ... but if you lift them by the line and grab them firmly by the head (squeeze hard on the gill plates), they won't puncture you.  I would think if your inflatable has a hard bottom then you'd be fine.  But you should be able to hook plenty from shore or dock too.

You'll probably run into a variety of bottom fish with the buzz bomb - kelp greenling, cabezon, Irish lords, ling cod - all fun to C&R.  I just checked the regs and you are allowed to keep 1 rockfish and 3 greenling per day if you want something to eat.  (Rockfish are in decline though - use your own judgement.)  The only Rockfish Conservation Areas (no fishing) in that area are on the gulf side of Nelson Island and south of Pender Harbour, so you're good to go.

Have fun.  (pray for good weather...)

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2005, 04:31:20 PM »

No doubt, it's fun fishing for bottom fish from a small boat. Just watch out, I got spike by a ling cod a couple of years back, this is NO FUN, 3 cuts in one hand, and 2 on the other, all puffed up, wear a glove when handling these.

Other than that, I think I sent you some info a while ago about this, but a buzz bomb would be perfect, pr a zzinger, but i've always had better luck with the buzzer for some reason.

Have fun, and post back when you're done.

What rod/reel were you thinking of using for this type of fishing ?
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote