Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Camping and fishing  (Read 8477 times)

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
Camping and fishing
« on: February 14, 2005, 10:27:54 PM »

I posted a related thread a while ago, but that was concerning a different time of year.

Other than a trip to the Island, I would like to do a fishing/camping trip with some buddies for a few days, also over Spring break. We have all of the required camping gear (tents, sleepign bags, stoves, etc). I have a varity of fishing rods, both telescopic and multi-piece, fly, drift and spinning models.

The only thing I'm yet to decide is a location, I was thinking more in the direction of Garibaldi lake and fishing the lake for trout and char by fly and spinning gear.

What about the rivers ? Drifting for steel in an isolated hike-in river.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one making a trip of this sort...
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
Re: Camping and fishing
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 11:18:51 PM »

Hi Spudcote.

Garibaldi could be still early around spring brake. Try contacting bc parks if they would know if ice still covers the lake.

I do not know your level  of experience, but going so high to Garibaldi at that time of the year you should be completely equiped for winter camping/hiking/very bad weather (including snow shoes). Weather up there changes vey quickly, so before you head out be sure to visit weather page, and Canadian Avalanche Association site.

One I would never go before checking it is:

http://wlapwww.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/garibald/trail_updates.pdf

Good Luck and good fishing

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 09:09:16 AM »

Too early for the lakes.  Go for one of the rivers for steely's or cutties.  Your choice.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 07:43:19 PM »

might be cold still at night,but I would think about either the Lilloet or Tulameen rivers,I havn't checked the regs though, been several years since I fished them.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 08:06:14 PM »

Yeh, I am starting to think that Garibaldi lake would be a little TOO cold... :-\

I hadn't considered the Lilloette yet, I'll look into it, we're not looking into killing anything (we're camping, and killing anything would leave a smell we don't want around camp). Do you know if there are many camping "locations" in the way ? and how "isolated" it is up that way ?

Come to think of it, I've only ever really fished lakes while camping, a river could be some fun. Hopefully not TOO much snow.

We'll have to see how the weather for that time plays out for us.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

Spudcote

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 08:32:48 PM »

There's always Buck Mountain Campground up on the Squamish.1 604 893-5894
Lots of places to hike up 'n down the river looking for Steelies/Dollies.
There is a certain amount of quicksand though and I wonder if the local yokels-a sometimes drunken/violent bunch of miscreants-won't be 'in residence'.

EDIT-http://www.clubtread.com/ for Hiking info of all kinds

Hung

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 11:50:56 PM »

Spudcote - I've been looking for a location for SpringBreak also.  That resort on Salt Spring Island is not open in March.  At this point I'm thinking Egmont Marina Resort on the north end of Sunshine Coast.  Hope to C&R lots of rock fish there with my kids.  They say you can catch them off shore or of the dock or rent a boat.  They say the water is calm enough even for my inflatable with electric motor, but I have to see it first.  Also hope to get into some oysters.  I'll be sure to stock up on those buzz-bomb you told me about.  Any other rock fishing tips anyone can give, I'd appreciate it.

I heard many of the lakes up there are beginning to get stocked up, so Sunshine Coast may be a good option for you.

Website of Egmont Marina: http://www.egmont-marina.com/

We're looking at staying in their small cabins.  They also have a camp ground.  Check it out.

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 04:23:11 AM »

lilloett lake has some nice b.c.forest service campsites on the north side
fishing isn't great due to visibility but they are there

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 12:21:27 PM »

I've camped @ Twin Creek 11 on Lilloet Lake I agree it's a beautiful spot but fishing is tough-bad place on a windy day too.

As to St Mary Lake there are a half dozen places to stay at least-great camping in the Park on the south end of the Island can't remember the name now.

An inflatable @ Egmont?
I dunno-Be Careful and don't take your kids out.
Also check the regs very carefully much on the Inside is closed to any Rockfish retention and of course there is no C&R-a caught Rockfish is a dead one.  :'(

Steeler2000

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2005, 01:02:39 PM »

Hey Spud , if your looking for a spot to camp and try for some Steelhead why not the Vedder ?
Thurston has campsites right on the Vedder . Some nice water up and down river . 8)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2005, 03:53:46 PM »

What about the Chehalis? There's a FRS site on the river and on the lake. If your feeling adventurous you could even do a hike in all the way up to Statlu Lake. There's alot of river to explore that most people never get to and by spring break the steelies should be in in good numbers.
Actions speak louder than words.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2005, 04:24:40 PM »

All of those other loactions are great fshing spots, but we were looking more towards "wilderness" types of stuff. I guess if you hike far enough up the Chehalis you would get into the "wilderness."

I had considered the Chehalis, but wouldn't there still be snow up there ? I hadn't really thought about the snow until recently.

Another location I've been thinking about is a place called Carmanah Park on Vancouver Island. The river gets some steelies, but it's meant to be a really beautiful area. Anyone been there ? I've heard from someone I know that it's a nice area.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

Spudcote

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2005, 10:03:21 PM »

Been to Carmanah too!
It's creek though not a river and the fish I saw were very small.

What about Port Renfrew?
Stay in the Indian Campground right on the beach.
Then you could hit the San Juan and any other small stream in the 'hood.
Lotsa Cutts in that river.

Hung

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2005, 12:16:39 AM »

Hmm ... thanks for the warning re. rockfish near Egmont.  The guy I talked to on the phone didn't say anything about closure when I asked about fishing for rockfish.  Have to check it out.  As for the boat, I have a high quality inflatable with a good electric motor, and we wouldn't go further than 100 ft from shore.  But will have to see that water first.  Thanks again.

reach

• Yard work can wait.
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2005, 12:33:54 AM »

I grew up in Egmont.  I would think you would be fine with a sturdy inflatable.  Unless it's blowing a southeast gale, it's flat calm.  There's not much in between.  As others have pointed out, there's plenty of current and you don't want to get close to the rapids, but my father and his father and many others made a living years ago by fishing lingcod out of a rowboat in that area.  You'll be fine.

Rockfish C&R works fine at shallow depths (less than 30 feet).  I did it plenty as a kid.  As long as the swim bladder doesn't pop out, they can submerge themselves just fine.  At those depths it's sight fishing too, so it's fun for kids.  Not sure about the legality of targeting rockfish but if it's strictly C&R you're probably OK.  The water is very clear in March - probably 100' visibility.  I would also recommend scuba diving if you are so inclined.  It's world class around there and unbeatable visibility in the winter.  Drysuit only of course.   ;D

I was up there in the fall and tried Klein Lake with a tube for a couple of hours.  Caught one small (9") cutthroat.  Not fast action by any means, but then again, I don't really know what I'm doing fly fishing.    :)

If you go, I would recommend a couple of things - one, the hike to the rapids if you can time it on a big ebb, and two, go on a charter up to Princess Louisa Inlet.  It's truly spectacular.