Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: intruder recipe  (Read 6494 times)

silver ghost

• Old Timer
intruder recipe
« on: December 03, 2011, 03:57:28 PM »

hey guys,

ive been watching some flytying videos on youtube but theres so many different ones so i dont know what kind of stuff i need for an intruder...

can someone tell me what size hooks and 'tubes' and whatveer else I need to tie up a basic pink intruder? I know what colors to use...is ostrich the go to feathers for these bad boys?

I have a vice and bobbins and all that, just don't know exactly what 'ingredients' to buy

happy tying

glx

• I'm a llama!
Re: intruder recipe
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 05:25:19 PM »

Ostrich, Rhea, Marabou, Spey Hackle, Shlappen, Rubber Sili Legs, flashabou, krystal flash, dubbing, grizzly hackles. to name a few. 

I tie mine with trailer hooks in a size 1 Owner Cutting Point.  Keep the trailer just long enough to change the hook.  I tie my Steelhead flies on regular mustad hooks and then cut off the point.  Use heavy fire line for the trailers

glx

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 05:54:57 PM »

I on the other hand rather tie mine on 25-45mm Waddington shanks but also leave my trailer loop just long enough to swap out hooks. Also run Owner hooks for my trailer.

I have recently gone the way of the Squidro (youtube/google this) type Intruder because it wont lose colour from sun fading and is very durable compared to Ostrish and Rhea and it moves nicely in the water  ;D also WAY faster to tie and WAY cheaper
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 02:49:43 PM »

here is one of my favourites tied with rubber and not alot of other materials. they sink fast and swing awesome. As you can see there is only one material that will soak up water in this pattern and the fact i brushed out ALL the underfur it takes on very little water.

happy tying
Check out our new blog

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 09:18:40 PM »

I have been playing around with an intruder with a marabou blood quill plume as a tail

Ingredients
Tail: Pink marabou blood quill
Butt collar: Black Schlappen Hackle
Butt Feelers: white or pink ostrich herl
Body Portion: Black chaneille, with palmared black schlappen hackle
Front collar: Black kip tail, put in a dubbing loop and twisted. Then dubbed in
Colar: Black ostrich herl
Eyes: Lead eyes or glow in the dark eyes or bead chain what ever your fancy

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 05:47:38 PM »

I have been playing around with an intruder with a marabou blood quill plume as a tail

Ingredients
Tail: Pink marabou blood quill
Butt collar: Black Schlappen Hackle
Butt Feelers: white or pink ostrich herl
Body Portion: Black chaneille, with palmared black schlappen hackle
Front collar: Black kip tail, put in a dubbing loop and twisted. Then dubbed in
Colar: Black ostrich herl
Eyes: Lead eyes or glow in the dark eyes or bead chain what ever your fancy

whoa, that looks awesome! I have much to learn

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 05:48:15 PM »

here is one of my favourites tied with rubber and not alot of other materials. they sink fast and swing awesome. As you can see there is only one material that will soak up water in this pattern and the fact i brushed out ALL the underfur it takes on very little water.

happy tying

Hey hook, what is that book in your picture? It looks helpful

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 08:09:38 PM »

http://www.amatobooks.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AmatobooksCom&Product_Code=1571882324&Category_Code=

That book and many others can be purchased through frank amato publications. I find that there are better books though on more modern style flies. I am not saying that traditional flies dont work its more about what you fancy. good book though

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 08:12:09 PM »

also if your going to order through them try the coupon code
BWDEC11

When you order through them they send you the code for your next order they say to share the code with friends it saves you 20% on your order

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 12:50:59 AM »

that book is helpful if you wanna tye bronze mallard, hackle winged classics and even full dressed (i think) but it will help none at tying the half chicken Intruder style flies. I taught myself all my intruder techniques from trial and error or other tyers. If you can get your butt to Pacific Angler for their upcoming FREE intruder tying night it will help leaps and bounds. Dimitri ties some sick my friend intruder style stuff and he is teaching the class  ;)
Check out our new blog

Carich980

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 12:56:19 AM »

Anyone know of a site or Can tell me how to tie in the Trailer hook I always see on these flies? I assume you tie on the shank of a larger hook and cut that one off then tie in a trailer some how?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 01:00:48 AM »

im pretty sure if you youtube intruder flies or trailer hooks you will find lots

I tie my intruders on Waddington shanks and not cut off giant hooks heated and straightened before being cut off. attaching the trailer hook is done with a stiff braided line, knotable wire or even running line. its just doubled and tied down onto the shank or hook and then folder under so its very secure leaving yourself with a loop hanging off the back. leave the loop just long enough to swap out hooks. just pinch the loop together and slide it through the hook eye and over the back of the hook, up around the point and then pull tight. bang done !! finish tying your fly from there. I myself tie the trailer material on, tie my fly then attach my hook however i know exactly the length i need for hook swapping which takes some practice and finger/hand poking
Check out our new blog

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 08:22:17 PM »

also if your going to order through them try the coupon code
BWDEC11

When you order through them they send you the code for your next order they say to share the code with friends it saves you 20% on your order

cool thanks man