Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: over lining fly rod  (Read 6009 times)

awurban@msn.com

over lining fly rod
« on: August 03, 2011, 09:17:06 PM »

I am wondering if there are any people here that run a skagit type line setup where they use shorter line but heavier grain. Even though the grain is higher then what the rod is rated for. Just wondering what your opinions are on it.

adecadelost

Re: over lining fly rod
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 10:43:36 AM »

I don't know if I would overline a single handed rod too much when it comes to a skagit style head unless you are planning to spey cast only with it.
However I do have an 8wt single handed that I run a skagit short on that is at the top end of the grain window.
With the shorter line I find you really need to up the weight on it.
It works nice for spey casting as well as overhead, but not the prettiest of casts when you go with this short heavier style of line.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 11:49:10 AM »

Depends entirely on the rod.  Some rods work well overlined, some do not.  I've got a sage vps 4wt that does not like to be overlined, I have an 8 wt Fli that casts like a 2x4 and likes the extra weight for loading.  All depends on the action of the rod, also what you're chucking.  If you are using heavy or bulky flies then overlining can sometimes help too... but ya, not really what you'd call finesse casting.  Ends up looking more like you're literally tossing flies.

I definitely like the "feel" of a matched line but it doesn't always do the job if you have a whole chicken on the end of your line.

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 01:12:10 PM »

thanks for the replys I am thinking about doing it on a fenwick 9 foot 8 weight. I have also thought about using a sage bass line for bigger salmon flies, I believe sage sells it in 300grain and 320 do you think that would help for throwing bigger flies?

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 01:41:28 PM »

How big of flies are you throwing for salmon??  I catch them on size 4 and sometimes 6 stainless saltwater hooks... can never remember the hook name... anyways the total length of the fly is only about an inch and a half in length.  Come to think of it I don't have a salmon fly in my box over 2 inches, and most are not weighted (though the clousers have dumbell eyes).

I don't know much about the fenwick but if you plan on fishing the salt, IMO I'd try out an SA saltwater line... I love the one I have, i think it's a bonefish line from a few years back, pale blue.  Casts very well on my "heavy" 8wt.  Can't comment on the bass lines, never tried.

adecadelost

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 03:14:01 PM »

You may want to look at the Rio Outbound short series of lines.  I've casted them and they are great for those one shot casts.  Packs a bit of punch all up front and turns over a decent sized fly.

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 03:59:23 PM »

I was just reading reviews on the rio outbound there is a few review videos of people casting 100feet sounds pretty good I think I am going to check it out

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 08:16:46 AM »

the Airflo 40+ lines are also good for distance chucking. The Outbound lies were designed to compete with these.

For a Short skagit on your fenwick - you are likely working in the dark. These days the major line makers have matching charts for almost every spey or switch rod made in the last 25 years but not for singled handed. A good dealer may help you. Are you looking to skagit cast with such a rig? If you are with the cost of some good switch rods being only a few hundred $ you are better getting such a rod.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:20:02 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 09:04:53 AM »

I would stop by a fly shop that stocks spey lines and talk  it over with them.  If you are thinking of doing single hand spey casting,  they will give you an idea of what will work for your fly rod. The other thing to remember is that you are going to have to learn some basic spey casts if you choose to go this way.

adecadelost

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 09:46:19 AM »

I would stop by a fly shop that stocks spey lines and talk  it over with them.  If you are thinking of doing single hand spey casting,  they will give you an idea of what will work for your fly rod. The other thing to remember is that you are going to have to learn some basic spey casts if you choose to go this way.

I guess that's the big question? are you going to be spey casting it or overhead casting?
I have a singlehanded 9' 8wt that I lined with a skagit short and had to go up to a 575grain just to get the rod to load properly with that short amount of line.  Now this is for skagit style spey casting only and I would not be chucking that kind of weight on an overhead cast.  So it all depends on what style of casting you want to do.

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 03:55:44 PM »

Right now I can do some basic spey style casting like the snap T but I would really like to be able to change spools on my reel for when I am river fishing and only skagit cast. I am trying to do it with out buying another rod. I have the feeling the wife would not take kindly to be buying a spey rod right now lol

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 05:25:13 PM »

A snap T can be used for skagit casting. Just make sure you have a good anchor, and you will be good to go.

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 08:34:09 PM »

so I went for a 330 grain bass taper, I will let you guys now how it works for casting single spey style

grease line

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 02:21:56 AM »

Should be good, the bass taper will suit speycastin with a singlehander well. Add some hauls on the back and forward stroke and it could fly!

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 06:46:06 PM »

hey guys, just an update so I went with the 330 grain bass taper, it has a fairly large head on it and a smaller running line. I love it so far, I can c spey and snap t with it on my single hand rod and it throws salmon flies way further then my previous line. When I over hand cast with it, it easily casts over 60 feet with very little effort. I am pretty happy with it.