Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CO shoots dog Province front page  (Read 7630 times)

nosey

CO shoots dog Province front page
« on: February 08, 2013, 01:22:34 PM »

As much as I've always had respect for our Conservation Officers I couldn't help but be appalled by the story of that guys dog being shot for barking at the CO on the front page of todays Province newspaper. I've always been a dog person and some of my dogs have always barked at people approaching me, dogs bark for crying out loud, that's what they do best, it shouldn't be a death sentence for barking at someone that's approaching their master. Anybody that irresponsible or that afraid of a dog barking  shouldn't be allowed to pack a gun, does this mean if you armed the postmen there'd be no dogs left in the city. Give me a break, fire that idiot.

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: CO shoots dog Province front page
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 01:50:42 PM »

There is usually two sides to every story; let's hope so in this case.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 01:58:33 PM »

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Burnaby+watches+horror+conservation+officer+shoots+death/7934846/story.html

Tough call on this one. Probably be more information about why they seized their fishing gear as well.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

noobfisher

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 02:57:19 PM »

Two sides to every story and the province is always looking to sell papers with these headlines.  The guy himself said the dog left his side so how can he say what happened, he didn't see what happened.  It's unfortunate but he should have had control of his dog.  I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt to the co out there by himself, it's not part if his job to get bit by a loose dog.  The owner needs to accept some responsibility here and stop blaming someone else for something he could have prevented.  Funny how the province doesn't report on the violations this guy was committing.  Sounds like he was breaking the law, I for one appreciate the co out there conserving our resources from guys like this.

Fillibert

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 03:19:32 PM »

Good point in the article about the pepper spray the officer should have used though. Using a gun is very dangerous, who knows where the bullet would have gone...
About the violations and gear seizing, I realize the picture is from some other time but there is more than his limit of fish on that stick. I've heard east European guys brag about as many as 19 trout they've caught and kept at a time. Some of them are under the impression that the lakes are not owned by the province hence their conscience is clean (as long as they don't get caught).

I really hope the guy is genuinely sad about the dog and not faking to get a payday, it's happened before (I would know, I'm Russian and know my culture). Why else would someone go to the papers... it's not like the CO is denying it.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 04:19:10 PM »

Obviously these guys were fishing illegaly and their gear was seized.
Also you are supposed to keep your dog on a leash in public places unless marked as an off leash park.
Conservation Officers have to deal with a whole bunch of "characters" all the time.
We don't know if the guy sent the dog on the officer and we know nothing about him.
Some people find it "amusing" and exciting when their dog charges someone. I've seen a lot of idiots like that.
Before we lynch the CO, let's hear his side of the story.
I have two dogs and know what a well trained dog is and every time I let my dogs off leash (and that's all the time) I know I'm risking scaring someone.
But my dogs are clearly friendly and would lick everyone to death I am not as worried that someone would shoot them.
If a dog charged me in the middle of nowhere I wouldn't hesitate to put it down.
But because I am a dog owner and can read dog body language I would probably make double sure that the dog is really aggressive.
This is something that you can't train people. They either know it, or they don't.
Some people simply fear dogs and will always overreact.
Unfortunate? Yes.
But I wouldn't lynch the CO just yet.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 04:22:52 PM by adriaticum »

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 04:31:01 PM »

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/dog-shot-and-killed-by-conservation-officer/Content?oid=2450171

Here is another article.
Looks like these guys were known poachers and the dog may have been a tool for indimidation.
I'm thinking this office should be rewarded.
Who knows.

I love the Facebook crowd mouthing off instantly without knowing anything about it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 04:33:00 PM by adriaticum »

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 04:58:27 PM »

As a person who is a dog owner, and who also knows farmers and people who own acreages and who own dogs to protect their property I really have to question the officer's actions. I think the violation that is being explored is being over their allowable limit, but I think that will come out in court. But as far as the officer shooting the dog, give me a break. You have pepper  spray, a baton to protect yourself, and a sidearm. Either the pepper spray or a well aimed whack on the nose of the dog would have sent it scampering. Failing that a warning shot will normally stop any dog in its tracks. To me this reeks of of a person not using a firearm in a responsible manner and overreacting to the situation. If he has to be fired, it is unfortunate but his actions are pretty hard to defend in my opinion.

TacoChris

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 05:39:41 PM »

I would hope this will go to the new independent commissioner. It certainly raises concerns. However you can not make judgment based on what you read in a story. I am not sure where it says they are known poachers or if has any relevance. The action of shooting a dog is at issue not their conduct. All Law enforcement has my support and I know their job can be brutal. That does not mean there are a few that act badly.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 05:47:25 PM »

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/dog-shot-and-killed-by-conservation-officer/Content?oid=2450171

Here is another article.
Looks like these guys were known poachers and the dog may have been a tool for indimidation.
I'm thinking this office should be rewarded.
Who knows.

I love the Facebook crowd mouthing off instantly without knowing anything about it.

Nowhere in the article does it say they are known poachers. It just states that they under investigation for fishing violations.

noobfisher

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 06:07:12 PM »

Looks like the co caught a poacher.  He should be commended for doing his job.  I hope we get both sides of the story.  I'm sure the last thing the co wanted to do was kill a dog.  I doubt the province will report that the guy was poaching what's the news story in that?  Kudos to our conservation officers, most of the public support the work you do.  It's easy to criticize, who else is going to deal with  poachers and the dangers associated.  Most of these comments in this thread seem support the co.  This guys story is fishy, no pun intended.

I would think a co would be the best judge of an animals behaviour.  They deal with bears, cougars, wolves coyotes etc.  they don't shoot animals willy nillly unless they have to, I don't see this as being any different.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 06:21:27 PM by noobfisher »

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 09:13:18 PM »

All I can say is I am glad this C.O. does not patrol the Chillwack/Vedder River Valley. He would run out of bullets.

scheng53

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 11:50:19 PM »

All I can say is I am glad this C.O. does not patrol the Chillwack/Vedder River Valley. He would run out of bullets.

lol... so far the best comment!!

jimmywits

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 07:59:30 AM »

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Burnaby+watches+horror+conservation+officer+shoots+death/7934846/story.html

Tough call on this one. Probably be more information about why they seized their fishing gear as well.
x2 First reactions are usually predominantly emotional, I'll wait for all the facts then judge.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 01:08:46 PM by jimmywits »

c-pin

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 08:58:46 AM »

If we are relying on the Province newspaper to report a story in an unbiased fashion, we will be waiting a long time. "Let's not let the facts get in the way of a good story".

The fact that a CO shot a dog is sad. Sad for the dog owner. Sad for the dog. Sad for the CO.

Sure the CO has other less lethal alternatives. We don't know his perception at the time, or what really happened until that information becaomes public; or why he chose lethal force over less lethal force.

Unfortunately, the dog owner gets to put his very opionated story out to the public and have a public outcry about how inappropriate it was (based on a one sided story). The CO on the other hand, gets to say nothing to the public (per Policy & Procedure), so he gets lynched before the facts are laid out before the public.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 08:52:26 AM by c-pin »
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty