Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, April 6th 2009  (Read 727 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, April 6th 2009
« on: April 07, 2009, 07:39:23 PM »

Well it was a hot and sunny day. Great day to be fishing, but not so great a day to be catching.  ::)

Me and Ryan decide we will head out at around 4...
Of course this never happens because one of us shows up late (Ryan for once this time).  ;D
Just as Ryan pulls up we see Matt and talk for another half hour till 5 when we decide to leave.

We think that a change of scenery may be nice, so we pull over at a spot we have never fished before.
We walk down and the first run looks great, but it is still in the sun and there is nothing there for us  :-\
Not sure what do do we keep walking downriver and come across a pair of geese. We get within 2 or 3 feet of them and they are not afraid of us at all, even hissing at us. We get the brilliant idea to see if we could get a picture with one  ;D Ryan runs up to the geese and gets dive-bombed 3 times before they finally waddle away, but not too far. They must have had a nest around  ???

The mean goose  :o

After we had some fun Ryan takes the first cast into the hole behind us... His float comes flying back and he tells me he was pretty sure it was a hit, on the prawn again  ::)  I am using a glo bug looking thing and try going through 3 times before he gets a new prawn on, to no avail. His next cast fish on!... or could you even call it a fish  :D A little hatchery rainbow around 16 inches comes to hand, the 3rd one in the last 2 days.

We head down to the next run which is also now shaded. Its around 6:30 now and we are slowly working the water. I have been eyeing up a single large rock in the tailout. Just as Im reeling in Ryan says "I bet there is a fish behind that rock" as he casts into the run just up from it. His float slowly drifts down and boom another fish is on the hook. First fish I have ever seen him call and he was pretty happy about it. Scrappy fight and ANOTHER res 'bow comes to hand, this time a slightly smaller wild.

We head down to the next run. Once of the nicest pieces of water I have seen all year. The run is anywhere from 3-6 feet deep in places with large rocks visible just under neat the surface all throughout the run and a chop spread out all along the run. We get mid way down, me working one side and Ryan the other side. All of a sudden Ryan yells, another scrappy rainbow jumping a solid 2 feet out of the water before he loses it. This one was much bigger at around a guessed 5 pounds. His very next cast he hooks another one and lands it. I yell over at him to hold it up and I snap a quick pic and away it goes.

Ryan ends up landing one more in that run along with missing 2 more hits. We keep working down but it is now getting quite late at around 7:45 with a 20 or so min walk out so it's best we leave. We head out in a good mood, after exploring a new piece of water and NOT getting skunked (yes Ryan they ARE considered a fish and a legit save from a skunking). The last 2 days we have landed 6 of these little resident bows and hooked a few more. Most are averaging 1-2 pounds with a few bigger and the one around 5 pounds. All of them have been taken on a prawn/wool combo.

Went again today and stopped at Fred's. No steel weighed in the last 2 days with 4 on sunday and 6 on saturday (if I remember right). Seems the resident bows are the only action we will get till the rain comes again, although Im not complaining. Me and 2 friends ended up fishing the same area, but ended up getting skunked. Was a good day however, as any day out on the water with friends is a great one  ;)

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
Re: Chilliwack River, April 6th 2009
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 03:58:01 AM »

RYAN !
hardware == fish