Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hand bombing your fraser anchor...tips?  (Read 16500 times)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Hand bombing your fraser anchor...tips?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 08:33:38 AM »

Now that is a river anchor! No screwing around with popping zap straps when you snag up to release just power up and pick it up.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 09:44:48 AM »

Haha yeah thanks ;D The anchor we were using before this was also a 30lb, but was the break-away design using zap straps. We were actually planning to use this anchor with the new bow roller, but it is the style with the round body. Was told the same thing by a few shops: that anchor will not sit very well in the roller and if you lose it in the river you will have a hard time finding a new anchor of the same dimensions/fit. So we just went with the new anchor. Plus I like the design of this better with no zap straps etc.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »

When we anchor on the Fraser we always use a buoy system as mentioned in the Fraser River Sturgeon article . As well as a marker we mainly use it for safety to separate ourselves from the anchor should an emergency arise . Obviously  the buoy is in the water attached ( tied or clipped)  to your main rope anchor line with your slack , then cleat off to your boat. If a massive deadhead suddenly pops up , a boom breaks upriver ,you are about to get spooled or your friendly local Tug Boats just want you out of their way pronto . Simply untie off your cleats , throw the rope, power up and takeoff . Good Luck

Quick question: how do you rig your buoy so that it does not slip past the end of your anchor rope if you had to toss the whole shabang in the river and take off?

I have a big carabiner attached to the bouy. As I understand it after you let out your anchor line your clip the buoy to the rope and it will ride down the line and stop at the point where the rope goes under the water. Pretty common sense so far.

However, the way it is rigged up right now, if I were to toss my anchor line overboard while anchored up the carabiner would slip past the end of the rope and the anchor, chain, rope, and buoy would be bye bye!!!

My idea, not sure if a good one or not, is to rig up a "stopper" at the end of my anchor rope. I was thinking buy one of those football shaped plastic floats, like the ones used on a buoyant heaving line (about mango size). Feed that onto the rope, tie a knot before and after it so it can not ride up or slip off the end, maybe even add a big washer between the float and knot to make SURE the float/stopper can not slide past the knot (esp the one at the end of the rope!).

The way I see it if the buoy made to the end of my anchor rope this would prevent it from coming off. The float/stopper would just sit in my rope box and not be in the way.

Anyone have a different or better idea?

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 08:50:37 AM »

Well, here is what I did. Have not tried it out yet but I don't see why it would not work. Basically just have a small plastic buoy trapped between two knots. I put a large washer between the buoy and knots on either side to make SURE the buoy can not slip over the knots. Was having trouble getting the anchor rope to burn on the cut end so I just wrapped it tightly with a bit of duct tape. The large carabineer that the big buoy is attached to will not slip over the stopper buoy. So, if I have to throw my anchor line overboard and take off, it seems to me that I will loose everything.
None of my buddies can fish tomorrow so I think it's a good idea instead of trying to dinker with this on the river esp alone, I'm going to take the boat to the lake, practice dropping and retrieving the anchor, throw the whole shebang over board and see what happens, etc. Better to sort any issues out on the lake than the river! Plan to hit the Fraser at least once later in the week :)

Canyon

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2015, 09:03:07 AM »

This maybe a dumb question but why not just tie off to your big buoy ?

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2015, 03:09:22 PM »

When I used to braid loops for the dolphins to tie a skow off, we always just used electricians tape to wrap the tag ends. It won't peel off in the water like the duct tape will.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2015, 04:53:25 PM »

This maybe a dumb question but why not just tie off to your big buoy ?

Haha this is probably a dumb response, but I don't really get how I would do this. I new to jet boat fishing only been at it for a couple months and only got this anchor set up in the last week. :o

The way it was explained to me by the guy I fish with is you have two options:

1- The way he does it. He carries a buoy but typically does not use it. He typically anchors up in the Vedder canal and slow water like that so he's not worried about someone driving into his anchor line. He runs 40 feet of chain and just a bit of rope on the end, like 6-8 feet, and this rope has a loop on the end. He's usually only 20-30 feet into his chain max. He says if he was getting spooled by a big spring or whatever he would grab is buoy, clip it to the loop on the rope with the carabineer attached to the buoy, throw his chain and the rest overboard, and take off.

He like this set up as the buoy will not float around much as it's on a short rope.

I'm not a huge fan of this setup as if an emergency were to arise (deadhead collides with anchor line or whatever) and there was only time to cut the anchor line, well you can't cut chain with a knife! And he doesn't carry bolt cutters. He says he keeps an eye on what's happening upstream and the odds of having to cut his anchor line are so small, especially in the water he fishes, he doesn't worry about ever having to cut his chain.

2- The way my boat is rigged up. 20 feet of chain (5/16) and about 100 feet of rope. Unlike my friend I WILL use my buoy as an anchor line indicator and clip it onto my rope after I let my anchor out and am tied off on the cleat. I was told to just clip the carabineer to the rope and let the current take it to the point where the line goes under water.

I'm not really sure how well this will work when pulling the anchor up as the carabineer will keep riding down the rope, then the chain, until it stops at the anchor. Might be a bit of a pain to unclip the buoy before the anchor drops into the roller.

My buddy doesn't like my system as he says if I were to throw the whole shabang overboard to chase down a big spring or whatever, the buoy has a lot of rope to ride down before it hits the "stopper" and could bump into another boat, be in the way of another boat, etc.

I argued well it is a pretty BIG/BRIGHHT buoy so I cant see someone driving into/over it, and if it bumps into another anchored boat it's not going to hurt it. And I'm not likely to be gone that long anyway, it's not like I'm coming back the next day to retrieve my anchor.

And as far as "tie off to your big buoy" (Canyon)...I don't really get how I'd do this :( Yeah I guess I could tie some of the loose line in the bow to it and throw it overboard, but if the knot comes undone all is bye-bye, and this would take more time then just clipping on with a carabineer. 

I texted the guy who did my bow roller job and he basically said he has always fished a windlass and doesn't have the luxury of tossing his anchor line and coming back later for the anchor. So in the case of a run away spring he just gets his anchor up as fast as he can.

I replied in our boat this wouldn't work so well with two ppl (usually the case) as bringing the anchor up is kind of a two person job (one on the wheel/throttle, one on the anchor). So if the other person has a FISH on they can't really just put the rod down and start farting around with pulling anchor.

ANYWAY, I'm going to try my set up as is and if I don't like it tweak as I see fit.

If anyone cares to email me pics of their set up pls do so to kcp@alumni.sfu.ca.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2015, 04:54:03 PM »

When I used to braid loops for the dolphins to tie a skow off, we always just used electricians tape to wrap the tag ends. It won't peel off in the water like the duct tape will.

Thanks for that. I'll rip off the duct and put electrician's tape.

Canyon

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2015, 06:17:46 PM »

Being new to river boating myself I was just wondering at the point where the anchor line is thrown over to get picked up later it's still a 100 ft of rope in the water would it be better knowing the end of the rope is at the big bouy for an easier retrieval of the anchor line ?

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2015, 10:04:45 PM »

Keep the Bouy in your boat, you don't need an "indicator" while anchored, your Bouy will be bouncing off your bow.

Your description sounds like a Columbia river setup. Using the Bouy to lift anchor while driving forward.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2015, 09:31:05 AM »

Being new to river boating myself I was just wondering at the point where the anchor line is thrown over to get picked up later it's still a 100 ft of rope in the water would it be better knowing the end of the rope is at the big bouy for an easier retrieval of the anchor line ?

Haha sorry I still don't know what you're asking. My plan was to have the ball clipped to the line as an "indicator" while fishing (so boats can see where my anchor line is). If I throw everything overboard, I guess depending on the current, my big buoy may travel all the way to the end of my anchor line until it hits the "stopper."

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2015, 09:41:35 AM »

Keep the Bouy in your boat, you don't need an "indicator" while anchored, your Bouy will be bouncing off your bow.

Your description sounds like a Columbia river setup. Using the Bouy to lift anchor while driving forward.

Yeah....I guess come to think of it I don't really see anyone else with a buoy being used  as an "indicator." I can see not really needing one, say, anchored up in slow moving water like the mouth of the vedder and so on as the angle of you line will be pretty close to your boat. Very unlikely someone wil be driving THAT close to your bow/anchor line.

But what about out in the main flow? I'm thinking I will have more rope out and more of gradual angle in my anchor line, and in theory an increased possibility of someone driving over and possibly connecting with my anchor rope. No?

So Canso, assuming I keep my buoy in my boat unless I am clipping it on to power off and retrieve it later, do you think my current set up is alright? If there is a decent flow it seem that my buoy will ride to the end of my rope (90-100 feet) until it hits the stopper and could possibly get in someone's way and piss them off (want to avoid this)?

I guess you could do a quick loop knot in the slack rope and clip the buoy to that, then it will not ride down the length of rope. I just worry about rushing it, somehow the knot comes undone, the buoy separates from the anchor line, and I lose everything! :o With my set up at least once the buoy is clipped on it is not coming off my anchor line.

Hoping for some good tips if I should modify my set up. If I google "how to use an anchor buoy in the river" it is mostly the system where you use the buoy to bring up the anchor. I don't think this would work well in the Fraser and don't plan to try it.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2015, 07:20:04 PM »

Well I took the boat out today on Cultas lake to arse around with the new anchor system - I like it! Gonna take it out in the river tmrw with a buddy.

System I tried to secure the big buoy that seems to work is grab a few feet of rope that is close the rope tied around the cleat. Make an overhand knot/loop. Click the buoy to that loop, undo rope around cleat, and toss over board. I think pretty much impossible for this knot to come undone.

I still like having the small buoy at the very end of my rope as, if somehow all my rope was to go overboard and I was not in more than 110 feet of water (about length of my rope and chain), it would float on the surface and hopefully I could hook onto it.

A few other observations:

-I could drop anchor in the Fraser by myself no problem (the quick release chain catch works awesome!), but driving forward and trying to retrieve the chain and rope would be pretty stressfull I reckon. Seems like more of a two person job. I would go out by myself if I knew I was going to a bar but I don't think I would try to anchor up in the main flow and try to pull anchor and drive the boat at the same time.

-Not that easy to pull up a 30lb anchor plus 20 feet of 5/16 chain! Definitley gonna put a pair of those blue rubber grippy gloves in the boat to make that a bit easier. I mean I can pull it up it's not a big deal, but I don't think the wife would be able to esp the initial yank to get it out of the muck. Perhaps powering a bit up river to break the anchor loose off the bottom where it's dug in BEFORE trying to haul it up might help?

Overall I'm happy with the system but now I can see why people pay for the windlass! Down the road I think I'd like to save up for one it would sure be nice to just flip a switch :o

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2015, 10:36:27 PM »

In the main flow you will still have a steep angle on your rope, no one will ever come close to your anchor rope.  especially  having a heavy anchor and chain with short rope.

My scotchman is always connected about 6' from the bitter end, then a small float like yours on the bitter end to help retrieve the rope.  Don't ever forget to clip your scotchman, the small float will not keep anything afloat in the Fraser.

The only time rope can be a problem is when bar fishing from your boat in shallow water. If you need to save your spot when chasing a spring, use your chain and no rope or have a short rope on board just for this. I don't fish in crowds and always pull anchor when in shallow water <20'. Anything deeper I'm probably sturgeon fishing.

As for pulling anchor, I'm standing next to my steering wheel while pulling anchor so driving forward is no big deal when solo (not possible on all boats). My favourite anchoring device is a cam cleat, http://www.harken.com/productdetail.aspx?id=5478&taxid=390
I never tie off.  Also when trying to release from the muck, pull in all slack and cleat, drive forward using the boat to release.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2015, 08:58:13 PM »

Thanks Canso. Well I am I agree it is probably unnecessary with my set up to have the buoy clipped to my anchor line as an "indicator." Just seems like one more pain in the arse thing to deal with when pulling the anchor up which is a pain enough already.

I get what you're saying about fishing in shallow water and coming back for your spot. Like you I'm unlikely to be fishing amongst crowds in the first place. I'll rig up a short rope down the road for this purpose.

I currently don't have a cam cleat but I'm familiar with them and may install one down the road. Right now I'm happy with my set up and I would not go out in the main flow and anchor up. With my current confidence level I consider it a 2 person job. I mean, I can pull up the anchor and stand at the wheel, it's just too much going on for my current comfort level. I would go out by myself and pull up on a bar or possibly anchor up in the canal where there isn't much current.

Thanks again :)