Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hand bombing your fraser anchor...tips?  (Read 16499 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Hand bombing your fraser anchor...tips?
« on: September 10, 2015, 10:12:20 AM »

If money was not an issue I'd love to get a windlass winch system for my anchor, but it's just too much $ right now. Instead will have to have "hand bomb" (I believe this is the proper jargon) the anchor off/on the bow roller.

I'm just wondering...what do ya'll do with all you chain and rope? Just leave it on the floor of the bow? Put it in a milk crate or something?

Also, does anyone have any tips for properly dropping anchor? I've just been pointing the nose upstream and tossing it over, then letting the boat drift back until the anchor bites, then tie the rope off on the cleat. Not sure if you are supposed to reverse a bit to get it to bite more, etc....

We don't have a bow roller yet, just been heaving the anchor overboard by hand and pulling it up and in the boat and leaving it in the bow when not in use. Currently the boat only has a rope guide on the bow. Planning to get the bow roller installed sooner than later.

Damien

• Old Timer
Re: Hand bombing your fraser anchor...tips?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 11:03:31 AM »

Here is a link to great anchoring resource.  Hope you are enjoying your new rig.

Be safe...

http://www.fraserriversturgeon.com/

gman

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 11:17:52 AM »

We have a bow roller and put the chain in a milk type crate.
With the Fraser current we don't usually reverse to get it to bite.
A winch would be nice, but we just hand bomb it. Works fine if you have on guy on the motor and one guy with a bit of muscle hauling up.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 11:27:47 AM »

Sounds like you are doing the same thing as we do.
I thought about using a milk crate but it is a little higher that the depth of the bow area so it sticks up.
(cover doesn't sit right)

We have a roller on the front of the boat - helps a bit but it is still noisy and awkward.
Pull the boat forward so that the rope is straight up and down before you start pulling.
You may need to use the boat power to free the anchor sometimes (go upstream).

One extra thing that you might want to consider is a "break-away" heavy duty zip tie on your anchor.
Attach the chain to the anchor near the "heel" of the anchor and use a zip tie to connect the chain to the "tip" of the anchor.

Most of the time, you can pull the anchor up from the tip connection.
If you are stuck, you can break off the zip tie (by pulling) and pull up the anchor from the end that is stuck.

riptide

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 06:17:39 PM »

When we anchor on the Fraser we always use a buoy system as mentioned in the Fraser River Sturgeon article . As well as a marker we mainly use it for safety to separate ourselves from the anchor should an emergency arise . Obviously  the buoy is in the water attached ( tied or clipped)  to your main rope anchor line with your slack , then cleat off to your boat. If a massive deadhead suddenly pops up , a boom breaks upriver ,you are about to get spooled or your friendly local Tug Boats just want you out of their way pronto . Simply untie off your cleats , throw the rope, power up and takeoff . Good Luck
Fishing is not a matter of life or death ...it's more important than that

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 11:23:21 PM »

Thanks guys. I feel more educated already after reading the feedback and watching the video.

Our anchor is the "break away" type. Got two zap straps on the eye nearest the rear of the anchor. As I understand it if the anchor gets hung up the zap straps snap and the anchor will release it's angle/bite. Makes sense.

Also makes sense to drive forward close to over the anchor before pulling it up. Yesterday I was heaving on the anchor without much luck and actually pulled our BOAT over the anchor myself, then the anchor released once the angle was right. A lot easier on the back to drive the boat forward, then pull :o

I really like the design of the Anchor Caddie. Basically what I want. Was looking at pre-fab one in Cascade and they only carry the type (for hand bombing) where the anchor drops into a recess. This seems fine for transport but I've heard they are a pain to deploy as you need to lift it up and out to get it to drop. I like how with the anchor caddie type you can release it from back near the wheel. I don't plan to order an anchor caddie as with the exchange rate I think I could do better local.

Gonna check out Balmer Fabrication (Abby) and Primus Metalworks (Chilliwack) tomorrow. Both advertise that they make/install bow rollers. Will also check out AJ Ventures as I've heard good things about them. I'll pick who I have the most confidence will make the roller the way I want and if the price seems fair I'll go there.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 02:44:35 PM »

You might have your break away connected wrong.

I use a Danforth type anchor - I have a Fraser anchor but it is a monster and I only really need it during freshet.

Here's a typical Danforth anchor:

What you want to do is attach your chain in a hole in the plate on top near where the straight round rod is and zip tie your chain at the end of the long, flat arm where the hole is.

Under normal conditions, you don't break the zip tie and pull the anchor up from the long end.
If it is stuck, you break the zip tie and the chain pulls the anchor out "backwards".

Take a look at this or Google "breakaway anchor":
http://reelboating.com/forums/index.php/topic/430-rigging-a-breakaway-anchor/
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 03:01:42 PM by Easywater »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 09:41:42 AM »

Sorry maybe my description sucked. But I'm almost positive I have it hooked up right. Looks like this (assuming link works from Google images).

https://ca.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrSbl_XUvRVJwYAgYDrFAx.;_ylu=X3oDMTE0ZnFpb210BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjAzMDlfMQRzZWMDcGl2cw--?p=river+anchor+break+away+system&fr=yfp-t-715&fr2=piv-web#id=0&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fi465.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Frr18%2FBudMilloorsSuck%2FRiver_Anchor.jpg&action=click

The (2) zap straps will break if the anchor got hung up and like you said it should come out backwards.

Our boat came with a 12lb Digger Anchor. It worked okay but our boat started to drift a couple times so I don't think it's sufficient for the Fraser. Maybe if I added more chain. Meh, currently for sale on Craig's List (actually I should put it on here too!) The 30lb Fraser anchor holds our boat no prob but is a big pain to haul in and out of the water. Need to get proper bow roller soon.

Went to place in Chilliwack yesterday knows for making this kind of thing. Nice enough guy buy basically made me feel like my boat was a POS. More or less told me that Harbercraft's are built cheap and in order to properly install HIS bow roller he would have to do a bunch of extra reinforcing of the checker plate, stiffen this up and that up, and blah blah blah so the bow would handle the weight/torque of the anchor. Guy from AJ Ventures in Chwk didn't mention any of that and they build boats and I'm sure are familiar with Harbercraft. Will Probably go there. Going to check out Balmer Fabrication in Abby soon maybe even today.

salmonlander

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 09:28:15 PM »

The guy you went to seems to know more about your boat than the others do. I would go to him, in fact I probably already did. No b s just a job done properly.

sg6804

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 08:36:40 AM »

check out Keith at primus metal fab in Chilliwack also does really nice work

salmonlander

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 08:55:13 AM »

Primus all the way!!

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 06:33:18 PM »

Decided to go with Balmer Fabrication. Got a much better vibe from the guy than others. Younger gung-ho guy. Was more than willing to do the extra mods I wanted and not charge me an arm and a leg for it.

Going to abandon the anchor we were given and buy a new one. One we are using is all round tubing and seems it just does not work with the roller these shops crank out. Was going to cost as much or more to have a roller customized to work with the round body anchor. New anchor not that expensive just going to get one that works with the rollers this guy makes.

Luckily guy said I can use the rope that came with my boat (150 feet I think). Need to buy a new/longer length of chain I think there is only 5 feet currently attached to rope.

Going to bring the boat soon. Can't wait! Lifting the current 30lb anchor in and out of the bow with no roller sucks!!!

On a somewhat related note...

What do ya'll use to put your chain and rope in? Right now I'm using a black milk craft. Looks a bit ghetto but it works. How about those rope bags? Also want to put a rubber mat under the crate as it slides around a bit.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 10:11:50 AM »

Got bow roller done yesterday. Looks great! If I can remember how to post pics on this site Ill put a few up.

So just for a quick recap....dropping anchor I think Im fine with. Not sure if there is a guideline of how much rope/chain to let out for X feet of water. I probably let out about double(?). Eg for 20 feet of water 40 feet of line. Typicially just what seems about right and if it holds then I tie the rope off at the cleat.

For puling anchor I find this a bit more stressful. What we have been doing is starting the boat and driving upstream pretty much straight over the anchor. Not driving upstream and using boat power to pull anchor free. It's me pulling it out of the muck but I dont find it that big of a deal.

Sounds like if you wanna save your back, or if the anchor is hung up you drive upstream a bit and use boat power to dislodge anchor.

Any other tips? So far ive been anchoring in pretty slack water like mouth of the Vedder etc. Will have to have my system dialed in when we start sturgeon fishing in the main flow :o

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 08:41:30 PM »

Alright hopefully this picture attaches properly...

This was the system that came with the boat. Just a welded on rope guide. Was a pain as the anchor would have to be lowered over the side of the boat, then once past the chain I could put the rope through the guide, let out enough length, and tie off to the cleat. Same logistical issue with retrieving the anchor...once into the chain I would have to pull the chain and anchor (30lb) over the side of the boat into the bow. We did make it work but am glad it's now gone.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 08:43:10 PM by Spawn Sack »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 08:50:12 PM »

And the new set up!

Angled piece of metal separate from the roller is a chain stop. Can let the anchor out of the roller a bit if you are close to where you want to drop it, "catch" the chain with this device, then when you are ready to drop you just tug on your rope/chain and the chain will release and the anchor falls out. Guy who did the job suggested this and I think it's a good idea esp if you are in the boat alone you can drop the anchor from the driver's seat.

This was my idea. I like better than a milk crate or whatever. Chain and rope dump into this void. I could have paid extra to go tight to the contour of the bow but I was okay with a bit of a gap on wither side. Only needs to hold rope/chain not like it's a live well and needs to be water tight.

A shot inside the box.

Overall really happy with the work. Looking forward to getting back on the river soon!