Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Preventing boat/trailer theft.  (Read 7339 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Preventing boat/trailer theft.
« on: August 03, 2015, 12:12:54 PM »

Looking for some tips here. Currently we have two trailers. One is our quad trailer which we store in our garage with our quad in it. Not terribly worried about someone stealing it in my closed/locked garage but I keep a tongue lock (California Imobilizer I think?) on it just in case someone does break into the garage intending to steal the quad+trailer. Other trailer is for our 12 foot aluminum boat. Sits beside our house behind a locked gate. No theft deterrant on the trailer but I have a lock on the outboard (goes across the transom bolts).

In a week or so we'll be coming home with our new (to us) jet boat. It will not fit in the garage, so it will have to sit in the driveway when not in use. My plan is to leave a tongue lock on it (maybe buy another California Imobilizer? Better brand?), AND have some sort of wheel lock on it. Can any one reccomend a good brand and place to buy? I live in Chilliwack.

Doing some reading on line seems that Klampit is a popular wheel lock and they retail for about $200. I'm not sure if they are sold around here. Tomorrow I'm planning to check out Cottonwood RV and Wholesale Trailers. I figure they must sell this stuff.

If anyone has any tips on such products and general theft deterrance for boats I'm all ears. Several sites I've read say that chains around the wheel(s) are useless unless you fork out for a very expensive hardened chain. Seems that a "boot style" lock is the way to go.

canso

• Old Timer

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Preventing boat/trailer theft.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 06:13:29 PM »

Thanks for that. That brand looks decent. I'm liking the looks of the Brahma brand. They are 250-300 bucks but they look super tough and IMO are a big bulky deterrent most boat thieving scum will stay away from. If local dealer has them I'll likely grab one. I wouldn't buy 10 if I had 10 trailers but it's just going to be the one trailer sitting in our driveway. Sometimes we are away for several weeks with no one home. I want it to stay "don't even think about trying to steal this trailer" and thieves move onto another easier prey trailer/boat.

Carich980

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 10:58:44 PM »

Best Advice I got from an RCMP Officer was to take the Wheels off anything you dont want stolen and put up a camera to see whose coming by when your not around. I havent had anything taken yet and it sure is intresting to see who shows up.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 11:09:41 PM »

see ya on the river

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 07:35:23 AM »

I'd be using lock nuts if I had to use the Trimax.
I like the ones with the big plate going over the hub. (if I had to use one)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 11:35:24 AM »

http://www.brahmalock.com/

I bought one of these. Was $275 or so taxes in but IMO the device is SOLID and pretty slim chance a theif will try and breach on on a trailer parked in town in driveway. Expensive and more than I wanted to spend but I view it as piece of mind and a solid long term investment.

Guys at place where I bought it had good point on tongue locks. Yes some are tough to break and apparently the one on our quad trailer is considered pretty decent (California Immobilizer). However, if a theif really wants your trailer and what is on/in it they will just jimmy-rig something (chains) and tow your trailer away with the lock in place!

Seems the only way to make your trailer a truly undesirable target is with a wheel boot style lock.

Yeah could take the tires off as suggested abouve but this is not really a pragmatic solution if you use the trailer often, and if someone wanted your trailer IMO it would not be too hard to show up with a couple tires with the correct bolt pattern and a jack.

TheFishingLad

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 02:19:19 PM »

Jack of trailer axle, block it, take a wheel off. Won't be going anywhere.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 04:46:33 PM »

Would work. I think most people are looking for anti theft devices for when there trailer is sitting unused for a few days, weeks, or maybe months. Removing wheels and so on is just not realistic after a day on the water and I might use the boat agin next week. I like the idea of a good quility wheel boot to strongly disuade a theif from trying to breach it.

On a related note, anyone have any tips for "locking" the outboard to the transom? On our 12 foot boat I have a locking bar thing that goes across the clamp bolts. It is alright I guess. For our 90/65 Merc on the jet boat I'd like something better. On another site I read about some Harley Davidson cable you can buy that is very hard if not impossible to cut with bolt cutters or a hack saw.

Anyone have any tips on securing an outboard?

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 04:53:06 PM »

On a related note, anyone have any tips for "locking" the outboard to the transom? On our 12 foot boat I have a locking bar thing that goes across the clamp bolts. It is alright I guess. For our 90/65 Merc on the jet boat I'd like something better. On another site I read about some Harley Davidson cable you can buy that is very hard if not impossible to cut with bolt cutters or a hack saw.

I'm interested in this too, as I've already had a Jet motor stolen off the back of my boat.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 10:10:00 PM »

Oh wow, what size of outboard was it? Ours is a 90/65 two-stroke. Not sure how much it weighs but I'm sure 2 or 3 motivated scuzz butt criminals could heave it off. Gonna inquire at some local marine shops. Will report back if I find anything good.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 10:08:52 AM »

40/30 2 stroke jet. I'm sure it was pretty light, easy enough for one or two people. Also lost all my anchors (about 70lbs worth of lead), two electric motors, two deep cycle batteries, and a gas tank.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 10:54:20 AM »

All you need to know in under 10 mins...

http://youtu.be/-G_zz80h_Tc

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 11:09:03 AM »

BRIGHT motion lights and a highly visible surveillance system, both up high and out of reach, have stopped the scum from stealing out of my friends backyard now for a few years.  Previous to that he had many goodies go missing in the still of the night.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 04:51:04 PM »

Flytech, thanks for that youtube link. I can't watch it on work computer but will check it out later on home PC.

Decent article here:

http://www.cottageronline.com/cottage-security/how-to-protect-your-outboard-motor-from-thieves/

Personally the route I think I'll go is get a good hardened chain and a good padlock and chain the outboard to the transom/hull.

In addition I will think of installing a "dummy security camera" that looks real. Apparently some even move and look pretty legit!

Also might think of replacing one or more of the bolts with a "security bolt." Basically same idea as lock nuts on a vehicle. Yes you can still get them off but the idea is to make it  a PITA (Pain In The A**) enough that they say bugger it and move onto to someone else's boat.