Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: V hull vs. Joh boat  (Read 18810 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
V hull vs. Joh boat
« on: June 17, 2013, 09:23:53 PM »

So the misses and I are looking around for a car top aluminum boat. We are pretty sure we want a 12 footer. I realize it isn't the best season to be looking for such a boat as the quality buys get snapped up quick, but, nonetheless, we are looking around on craig'slist, kijiji, etc. Our budget is around $2000 and from that we are hoping to get a boat, on a trailer, ideally with a gas and/or electric motor on it.

Neither or us have ever been on a jon/flat bottom boat, only V hulls. When we stayed at Roche Lake recently we rented a 12 foot V hull with a 4hp 4 stroke Merc on it. We liked it! The motor was quiet and trolled nicely. It had enough power to get off the lake at a reasonable pace when the weather started to turn foul. However when trying to anchor and fly fish it was a bit tippy (especially if trying to stand up).

I am aware that V hulls are better at cutting water and in rough water at crusing speed, while flat bottom boats are more stable, but not as good when cruising especially in rough water. But, like I said, neither of us has actually been on one.

We do not plan to be using the boat on any massive lakes and having to crusie for a long time. Most of the lakes we like to fish are on the small size (Roche-ish). We do a fair bit of trolling (flys and gear). I am more into fly casting and want to be able to take the boat out by myself, anchor, and fly cast.

I wonder...do I really NEED to be able to stand and cast? Guys seem to make out perfectly fine sitting in thier pontoons, float tubes, etc. I imagine I would be fine with my rump parked on a nice comfy swivel seat casting away.

Here is one boat we found a while back that we quite like. However we can't get ahold of the seller! In the unlikely event this is your add, or you happen to know the person who is selling it, please tell them to update their add as the phone number does not work and no response from the email address.

http://kelowna.en.craigslist.ca/boa/3837727014.html

This appears to be pretty much exactly what we want. The 3.3 might be a bit wussy, but likley enough to get us where we need to go before we switch over to the electric, or anchor and cast. Anything bigger than a 12 footer on a tralier would likely not fit in our garage (unless on a shorter utility trailer).

I am curious in anyone thinks we would be better off with a joh style boat instead of a V hull. Neither of us has ever owned a boat, so if anyone has any tips on buying such as used boat + motor(s) + trailer that would also be much appreciated!!  :)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: V hull vs. Joh boat
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 10:06:16 PM »

if you troll more that sit and anchor to fish then go with a V-hull. Jon boats are better suited for getting to your spot and then anchoring. this is why guys stand and cast so they can see into the water when fishing shallows so having a stable flat boat is ideal. Jons also feel like they have more floor space. If you have a V-hull you could get a larger motor and go up the Harrison, Fraser more confidently then you would in a jon

I just had borrowed a larger jon from a buddy and it didn't NOT move well through the water when I had to row into the wind or with the electric. If I had a gas it would have been a different story though.

do you want to listen to slap, slap, slap as you troll ? you will get that with a jon also

myself personally I will be buying a jon because I don't troll at all so a jon is suited to what I want perfectly
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 09:17:02 AM »

Good luck finding one used.  But the best solution is a 'modified V' Jon boat.

Flat bottom like a Jon for stability with an angled bow to help slice through water.

I have looking at one of these 1440 Lowe Modified Vs.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 10:24:11 AM »

I think you will appreciate the ability to stand and move around with ease in a flat bottom jon. I would suggest a Modified V as Damien did.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 04:13:08 PM »

Awesome tips guys, thanks a lot. As you pointed out Damien, good luck finding many modified V jons. Most of what has been coming up on my searches, at least in the 12 foot size, are V hulls. Considering this is probably not the type of boat we'd keep for years and years (would like something bigger) down the road, we are not looking to buy new.

On a semi related note...is there anywhere one can test out different boats they are looking to buy? When we were at Roche recently we were really hoping to try out a rental that was flat bottom or modified V joh, but all they had were V hulls. I would hate to buy a flat bottom or modified V jon and find out I don't like it when I get it on the water.

Considering V hulls are by far the most common ones for sale, and they seem to be the most affordable, and one would suit our needs well although maybe not overly well for anchor fishing, this is likely what we'll end up buying.

Anyhone have any tips on buying a used boat + trailer + motor? Ideally I'd want to take the boat for a spin in a lake, but I realize for some sellers this is not a realistic option. Personally I'd want to see the motor start and run in a garbage can full of water. The last thing I need is some lemon outboard! Aside from inspecting a boat and trailer for obvious signs that it has had a rough life (dents, worn rivets, etc) I don't know a lot about boats and trailers.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 04:44:25 PM »

make sure all the rivets in boat are tight, perhaps ask the seller to fill the bottom with water and see if it leaks. for the motor I would want to see it running in a bucket and if it didn't start by the 3rd pull I would walk away. Who wants to yank over and over and over........you want to see if the motor stalls at trolling speed (slowest it will go) ideally you also want to see it at full throttle but in a bucket this wont work

my dad has a 1970's motor that goes by the third pull every time, downside is that its a 9.9 that runs like a 4-5hp at the moment

I know several anchor guys that still fish out of Vhull boats because they have put floor boards in to make the floor flat inside and the V will get you where you want to go faster anyways

I would love a mod V but they are expensive !!
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 06:51:12 PM »

Starting on X pulls is irrelevant.  All the owner has to do is have it all warmed up ahead of time.  Bingo, starts first pull!

Your best best is to find the best boat/motor/trailer you can on your own and feel good about.  Then have  a local shop do a once over on the motor.  They are for the most part bullet proof, but they will be able to tell you what it needs to get it purring.  Usually just a change of all fluids, carb clean/adjust and a new plug.  You can do this yourself if you are relatively handy.  I just can't be bothered and pay $100 every couple of years for this service.

As far as the boat is concerned, you will be fine and will be able to find V hulls all over place.  I would wait til the dead of winter, but if you want to be on the water, you gotta pay the piper.  But you mentioned that you are aware of this.  Also, owners are for the most part honest people, if you ask 'how much does it leak/weap after a day on the water?", they will tell you.  If they seem weirded out well...go with your gut.  If the guys yard and garage is a total dumpster fire, chances are he didn't take care of his gear.  Ask when the last time was that he changed the tires on the trailer (tires are like $70 each!) and repacked/replaced the bearings.  Test the lights.

One more thing, not all Vhulls are created equal.  Some 12 foots are quite narrow with very short free board.  The one you posted looks like it wouldn't leave much free board once loaded with motor(s), battery(s), gear and people.

This set up is on another planet compared to the one you posted;
http://classifieds.castanet.net/details/boat_trailer_motor_for_sale/1647743/

See how much more freeboard there is?  Way better boat and tons more motor.  Good looking newer trailer.  This is a solid deal on a rig you can use for a few years and get most (if not all) of your money back if you choose to upsize.

Some other choices for you locally;
http://classifieds.castanet.net/cat/boats/fishing_boats/?p=4

http://classifieds.castanet.net/details/14_ft._harber_kraft/1660349/

Let us know how it goes.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:20:31 AM by Damien »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 09:35:56 PM »

Hook and Damian, wow excellent tips thanks guys! Can't write much as I need to get ready for work as I work a 16hr shift tmrw...groan!

Damian, first FWR link does not work. No big deal just thought I'd let you know. As for the other two links, thanks for that but the first is just not what we're looking for, and the 2nd, a 14footer, will likley not fit in our garage. Or maybe it would, but we have used 12 footer in the past and find the size is just right for the 2 of us.

I found this add today that was posted a few days ago:
http://bc.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-other-12-foot-aluminium-flat-bottom-boat-motor-trailer-W0QQAdIdZ495407050

I messaged the seller and asked for more info on the trailer, boat, and motor. It appears to be a Lund. However unless I get a fair bit more info I'm not driving all the way to Kamloops (I'm in Chilliwack) just to look at it and find out it's to my liking. It only has an electric, but that would be fine for this season as most of the lakes we're going to are small, and several are electric only.

Thanks again guys a big help as always!

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 08:22:26 AM »

Link updated;

This set up is on another planet compared to the one you posted;

http://classifieds.castanet.net/details/boat_trailer_motor_for_sale/1647743/

See how much more freeboard there is?  Way better boat and tons more motor.  Good looking newer trailer.  This is a solid deal on a rig you can use for a few years and get most (if not all) of your money back if you choose to upsize.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 01:24:21 AM by Damien »

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 07:14:56 PM »

I'm on my 3rd flat bottom boat.  Started with a 10-32, then a 14-36, now 18 footer.  Super awesome boat for lake fishing.  When you get out on bigger water, you will take an absolute pounding!  Maybe not so much the driver of the boat, but your passenger up front will be very unhappy with every smash of every wave that sends a shock wave thru his/her brain.  Excellent boat for trout fishing.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

TacoChris

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 08:44:18 PM »

Your budget is tight. With the trailer most problems you can see. Check if the lights work and look for excesive rust. Inspect the spring and bolts to make sure nothing looks out of place. If you can jack up a wheeel and check bearing play by moving the tire side to side. It is OK if it moves a tiny bit but not too much it may need new bearings and races. Look at the tires to make sure the ware is even across the tread.

Motors are a bit of a crap shoot. I would take the cowling off and look for too much dirt or oil. inspect the plug if you can it should not be damaged a very bad sign. Some wear is OK and it will be oil soaked if it is a 2 stroke.  The prop should be free of dents or twists. If it looks bad there could be leg damage as well. Make sure the fuel lines are not shot they do not last forever. The pump ball and the line get quite soft with age. if you see it runnig check that it has a good flow of water comming out from the back from the water pump. Ask when it was last sericed, was it winterized and has the impeller been changed recently.If it has been used a lot in salt water I would avoid it. Check the motor to see if it locks in positon properly and that the bolts that secure are good.

With your budget the V botoms will be older which usally means less beam which wil make it diificult to stand. I would consider paying more for a wider boat and buying the gas motor or other gear later.  I think the boat is the most important piece.

I love my  12 ft Jon. I have fished in my buddies 14ft modified Jon and find it less stable when I am up in the bow. Everthing about noise or poor handling with Jons in rough water is true however. But I fish lakes like Sheridan and take it in the Fraser river.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 08:38:00 AM »

So we bought a 12 footer on a trailer the other day, can't wait to try it out! I'm just wondering if someone can help me out with a couple small things:

1- Tire pressure on the trailer tires. Now if I were a bit more observant before I bought the outfit I would have noticed that one tire is load range C which reads on the side wall "Max load 760lbs at 90 psi cold" and the other is load range B which reads on the side wall "max load 590LBS at 60 psi cold." There is a spare tire/wheel but I didn't look at the specs on it.

I'm not really sure what the exact tire size is(!) It says 4.80-8 on both tires. The tire has about a 16 inch diameter and the wheel is about 9.5 inches in diameter (pizza cutters! lol!)

Does anyone know what I should inflate the tires to? I'm not sure what the boat+trailer+ a bit of gear in it weighs. It's not very heavy. The trailer is a U-built. Good condition but pretty dinky. I can pick up the back of the boat when it is strapped to the trailer and walk side to side with it not problem if that helps (haha).

Before I towed the outfit home I hazzarded a guess and inflated both tires to 30psi.

The other thing is I just noticed yesterday when I took the boat of the trailer and put it in my driveway to give the inside a good scrub/hose down that there is a small gouge/hold on one side :o It is small, about the size of a grain of rice, but it is right through the aluminum (hole not visible on inside of the boat, it is through one of the fin things that stick out from the boat). I think one of the tie down straps was covering it when it was on the trailer as we gave it a good once over and neither of us saw it (accident I'm sure...mmmhmmm...).

Anyway, it needs to be patched. If done some reasearch on line and it seems a lot of people use Cabela's Aluminum boat patch or JB weld. anyone ahve any opinions on this? Thanks in advance :)

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 09:02:47 AM »

All I know about those little tires is keep them close to max pressure  or they heat up and blow up ! no fun changing on the side of the highway !

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 03:25:50 PM »

Alright...but one tire says max 90psi cold, and the other is max 60psi cold. I think I'm best off consulting a tire shop. I know, say, with my vehicle tires although the max psi is 50 or so, the reccomended psi is 32.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 08:33:36 PM »

I'm runnung a mix matched set right now like u have till either crappy tire or princess auto puts them on sale as Im not paying close to $100 for each tire !

just keep them inflated close to max ! like I said before I learned from experience and only filled them to 30 lb and 1 heated up and blew up ! the other was really hot ! shoulda read the side wall !

Seems like I buy a new pair ever three years as the cheap chinese rubber doesn't last !

de-flate tires a bit thin squish it down to see how much cracking on the side walls there is ! if theres lots there probably more than a few years old and u would want to replace them any way

I really want to upgrade to bigger tires but just haven't got around to it