Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drag/reel upgrades  (Read 1302 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Drag/reel upgrades
« on: May 19, 2013, 07:21:31 PM »

I have two reels I'm thinking of upgrading. A Shimano Cardiff 401 and an Abu 6501 C3. Both reels are in excellent working condition. I find the drag on both of them to be a bit wussy, possibly worn out. Yes I always back the drag off at the end of the day so it wasn't neglect that wore them out, just a lot of angry fish! I think both are rated to 11lbs max drag but I'm sure they would not be able to handle that much if if they were turned to the max.

Anyway, I have heard that carbon (carbontex?) drags are a definite upgrade. Are they all created equal? Looking on ebay I can get the drag washers for either reel for about 10 bucks each. I forget what the brand was. Likelu not Shimano or Abu OEM parts...

Both reels are about 3 years old and have been professionally serviced once each. I think the only upgraded part on each reel is a ceramic pawl.

If anyone has advice on the best drag upgrades and/or any other budget friendly upgrades that would be much appreciated. I'm not looking to sink a lot of money into either of these reels.

vwguy

Re: Drag/reel upgrades
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 08:36:49 PM »

I think Mikes reel repair has all the upgrades.carbontex drag washers were a great upgrade in my abu's

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 09:30:16 PM »

I had a couple of great vids and pdf's from Aus. for tuning up level winds, try a search on tuning or drag for abu's,penn etc.
I'd post them ,but they got zapped with a hd failure.

I've heard good things from Mikes lately, service has improved greatly.........
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 09:33:49 PM by Sandy »
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 11:32:22 AM »

I have never released the drag on my reels and they are over 5 years old.
So I'm guessing probably wear or just quality.