Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tossing spinners/spoons for steelhead?  (Read 31414 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Tossing spinners/spoons for steelhead?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 09:39:32 AM »

Well...spent the day on the Vedder yesterday with both rods. On the one hand it was a nice change of pace to put down the float rod here and there and swing a spoon through a run. I like the feel of the "thump thump thump" as the spoon wobbles through the water. On the other hand it is a real pain carrying around 2 rods! I like to toss 15-20 casts or so then move a bit down the run. Having to repeatedly pick up the 2nd rod and place it carefully on shore grew tiring in a hurry! I think in the future if I felft like spoon/spinner fishing I would just grab that rod and go to a run with good water for that type of gear. That way I could travel light and just bring the one rod and a selection of different spoons/spinners. Trying to lug around the 2 rods while being on the move for steelhead sucks!

Thanks again for all the tips on fishing spoons/spinners! Definitley a method I'd contine with and work on improving at.

soliak

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 09:56:37 AM »

Well...spent the day on the Vedder yesterday with both rods. On the one hand it was a nice change of pace to put down the float rod here and there and swing a spoon through a run. I like the feel of the "thump thump thump" as the spoon wobbles through the water. On the other hand it is a real pain carrying around 2 rods! I like to toss 15-20 casts or so then move a bit down the run. Having to repeatedly pick up the 2nd rod and place it carefully on shore grew tiring in a hurry! I think in the future if I felft like spoon/spinner fishing I would just grab that rod and go to a run with good water for that type of gear. That way I could travel light and just bring the one rod and a selection of different spoons/spinners. Trying to lug around the 2 rods while being on the move for steelhead sucks!

Thanks again for all the tips on fishing spoons/spinners! Definitley a method I'd contine with and work on improving at.

Awesome mate!

I recently moved over here from Australia (arrived late in the winter), got my rods and gear sent over and started researching the best methods for catching all the different species in the area. One thing that really surprised we was how under-developed the spinning w/ spoons/SP's situation is here in BC. I've been to multiple tackle shops, spoke to other fishermen etc and in most instances they simply scoff when I bring up spinning with lures. For me the sense of satisfaction when bringing in a lure slowly with the revolutions of a spin reel is unbeatable. One of the coolest aspects is how you can change up the retrieval speed and technique to get different results, physically altering the swim pattern of the lure/SP right before your eyes, that's where the fun really starts!

I use a 2500 sized higher end Shimano reel w/ 10lb braid and it is unbeatable for most situations. It has more than adequate stopping power to holt big fish in their tracks, yet still small enough to have a great time.

Keep us updated with your trips mate - you aren't the only one out there who gets funny looks when you rock up w/ no floats haha!

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 10:26:59 AM »

--I don't really know the reason but it seem the majority of fishers here when they think of spin gear think of it in the context of the cheapest gear available. I do not often see higher end spin rods and reels in stores.
--Part of the reason is Shimano and probably others... wholesale price in Canada is more than retail for same reel in USA. 
--When WFN first came on the scene in Canada...several shows were from Australia where it seems the old egg beater is king among reels... with many different manufacturers of high end salt and fresh water reels. I often go to Australian on line sites to view the gear being used.
--Please if you are using higher end spin gear let us know what the most popular and favourites are... plus don't be afraid to use methods you are familiar with here... they will likely work.

soliak

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 10:52:27 AM »

--I don't really know the reason but it seem the majority of fishers here when they think of spin gear think of it in the context of the cheapest gear available. I do not often see higher end spin rods and reels in stores.
--Part of the reason is Shimano and probably others... wholesale price in Canada is more than retail for same reel in USA. 
--When WFN first came on the scene in Canada...several shows were from Australia where it seems the old egg beater is king among reels... with many different manufacturers of high end salt and fresh water reels. I often go to Australian on line sites to view the gear being used.
--Please if you are using higher end spin gear let us know what the most popular and favourites are... plus don't be afraid to use methods you are familiar with here... they will likely work.

G'day mate.

I use a combination of Shimano Stradic FJ reels (IMO, the best bang for your buck you can get in fishing), as well as the Stella range for large SW applications. The new big thing on the block at the moment is the Okuma Salina III. Don't confuse this reel with the Okuma's made over in the US, it's a completely different thing. The Salina II was a game changer when it was released back in Australia. Previously for all BIG saltwater applications you needed a Stella, Daiwa Saltiga or something similar...all ~$1000 when you get into the bigger models. Okuma released the Salina at $200-250 which is insanely cheap considering the performance of the reel, then went on to release the latest version last year - check out some stats:

Model   Max Drag   Bearings   Gear Ratio   Line Capacity mm/M               
SA3-4000   14kg   8+1 HPBB   5.0:1   0.25/270 0.30/190 0.32/170
SA3-5000   15kg   8+1 HPBB   4.5:1   0.30/380 0.32/340 0.37/240
SA3-10000   24kg   8+1 HPBB   4.8:1   0.32/430 0.37/310 0.42/260
SA3-16000   24kg   8+1 HPBB   4.8:1   0.37/420 0.42/350 0.48/260
HIGH SPEED                  
SAS3-5000   15kg   8+1 HPBB   5.7:1   0.30/380 0.32/340 0.37/240
SAS3-10000   24kg   8+1 HPBB   5.7:1   0.32/430 0.37/310 0.42/260
SAS3-16000   24kg   8+1 HPBB   5.7:1   0.37/420 0.42/350 0.48/260

24kg drag on a $250 eggbeater is pretty insane. You can buy 4 of these reels for the same price as a Stella and they come with lifetime warranty.

As far as techniques go, the big difference for me is the use of soft plastics. People love 'pink worms' here it seems, but the market is extremely underdeveloped. Over the years people have become more and more comfortable using SP's, so I am definitely keen to try out a few of the techniques local people have told me "don't work". I have been directed to floss for all fish when fishing in the tidal Fraser as it is "the only technique that works". I have also been told that plastic/spinner presentation is irrelevant here and amounts to nothing when it comes to attracting the fish (seems redundant, eh?).

Out of all the North American brands I have gone through so far, the one SP most interesting to me is the Z-Man Eggz:

http://zmanfishing.com/store/categories/elaztech/ezeggz

This brand in Australia are the #1 in soft plastics at the moment, even surpassing the 'big hitters' like Berkley Gulp's.

It's nice just being able to have a discussion about fishing without people assuming you are a retard because you use spin gear (and pass over the quality of spin gear you are using...probably not knowing high end spin stuff actually exists).

Cheers

buzzbomb

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 12:57:44 PM »

A few little spinners and spoons go into every tackle box I have, just in case, and the pike and walleye box has a lot.  One thing I've noticed that's missing in what I do is fluorocarbon.   The post about the pond test has about convinced me I should learn how to use this stuff and try it out - in the other types of fishing I do I've bypassed fluoro by using heavier mono or braid leaders or rigs, but I suppose the time for change has come.  :D
5% Alc./Vol.

soliak

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 04:49:02 PM »

A few little spinners and spoons go into every tackle box I have, just in case, and the pike and walleye box has a lot.  One thing I've noticed that's missing in what I do is fluorocarbon.   The post about the pond test has about convinced me I should learn how to use this stuff and try it out - in the other types of fishing I do I've bypassed fluoro by using heavier mono or braid leaders or rigs, but I suppose the time for change has come.  :D

Give it a go mate. Once you turn to flurocarbon and your hit rate doubles, you never turn back :).

standalone

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2013, 05:17:30 PM »

How do you guys change spoon when fishing,retie it at the end of main line,or use some kind of swivel/snap?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2013, 05:38:23 PM »

Snap swivel

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2013, 08:31:49 PM »

Dou locks are pretty sweet... I never liked snap swivels for some reason.
I have to admit though, I very rarely change a spoon up, and if I do it's a re-tie.

Spoons are about covering water, and I'v never had better luck with a diff spoon after I'v already run one through. I find it's a 1st/2nd/3rd cast hit or they ain't gonna touch it and move on. Stick to one spoon and just keep moving.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 08:33:51 AM »

I agree the "all in one" snap swivel will open up on you. The duo-lock set up it better. The way I was show to set up your spoons this way is as follows:

1- Take the split rings out of the tops of your spoons.

2- Tie a good quality barrel swivel to your mailline.

3- Buy some good quality duo-lock swivels that match the size of the barrel swivel.

4- Open up both ends of the duo lock. The small end goes through the barrel swivel then locks. The big end goes through the eye of your spoon then locks.

5- Make sure the big end of the duo lock is big enough to allow free movement of the spoon (if it catches up you need a bigger duo-lock).

6- Done! To change spoons just unclip the big end of the due lock, insert new spoon.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2013, 08:56:06 AM »

Dou locks are pretty sweet... I never liked snap swivels for some reason.
I have to admit though, I very rarely change a spoon up, and if I do it's a re-tie.

Spoons are about covering water, and I'v never had better luck with a diff spoon after I'v already run one through. I find it's a 1st/2nd/3rd cast hit or they ain't gonna touch it and move on. Stick to one spoon and just keep moving.

I'm new to the spoon fishing scene, but I think the autor of the book I'm reading on the topic would disagree with this statement.

A 1/2 Ko Wobbler, for example, will ride high in the water. A 1/2 Crocodile, will sink much lower even though it is the same weight. The reason is the shape/profile.

If you are fishing a shape of spoon that matches the water conditions, then switching to a variety of different colors of a same or similarly shaped spoon is probably a waste of time.

However switching to a completely different shaped spoon of the same weight will greatly affect if the spoon is in or out of the strike zone. I noticed this big time the other day. On some runs I was fishing a 1/2oz Ko Wobbler and I could literally see it just under the surface. Realizing it was the wrong spoon for this run, I tried a 1/2 oz Crocodile. It's slim profile was causing it to dive too deep and was bouncing off rocks every few feet. Then I tried a 1/2oz Koho and it swung through the water perfectly and only tapped bottom a few times near the end of the swing.

I guess the morale of the story is your lure needs to be in the strike zone. No different that swinging a steelhead fly through a run that is riding too high or too low in the water.

Author reccomends for trying out spoons on the river and getting the hang of them to strat out with a 1/2 "classic design" like a Blue Fox Pixee. This type and weight of spoon will cover most water reasonably well.

soliak

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2013, 10:25:07 AM »

I'm new to the spoon fishing scene, but I think the autor of the book I'm reading on the topic would disagree with this statement.

A 1/2 Ko Wobbler, for example, will ride high in the water. A 1/2 Crocodile, will sink much lower even though it is the same weight. The reason is the shape/profile.

If you are fishing a shape of spoon that matches the water conditions, then switching to a variety of different colors of a same or similarly shaped spoon is probably a waste of time.

However switching to a completely different shaped spoon of the same weight will greatly affect if the spoon is in or out of the strike zone. I noticed this big time the other day. On some runs I was fishing a 1/2oz Ko Wobbler and I could literally see it just under the surface. Realizing it was the wrong spoon for this run, I tried a 1/2 oz Crocodile. It's slim profile was causing it to dive too deep and was bouncing off rocks every few feet. Then I tried a 1/2oz Koho and it swung through the water perfectly and only tapped bottom a few times near the end of the swing.

I guess the morale of the story is your lure needs to be in the strike zone. No different that swinging a steelhead fly through a run that is riding too high or too low in the water.

Author reccomends for trying out spoons on the river and getting the hang of them to strat out with a 1/2 "classic design" like a Blue Fox Pixee. This type and weight of spoon will cover most water reasonably well.

Absolutely mate.

I run my braided mainline to a micro swivel(dont need ball bearing, the micros spin very easily), then a flurocarbon leader down to a little duolock. I will flip through spoons depending on where I am at during the day. I have found in my experience the change up of a spoon over the same passage of water can change the tide from no bites to hook up mania! Every spoon has a different action, presentation etc and fish can be fickle :).

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2013, 12:14:36 PM »

I definitely respect Brown's opinion. He is probably the leader in spoon fishing steehead, and I would never even come close to knowing as much as he does. The one opinion I gave first applies for me to steelhead solely.

I generally use 1 type of spoon (which is that general "classic design" you are talking about - oval shaped with a pretty decent cup on it). I find R&B or Rvrfshr suit it best. To get down in certain runs I just adjust my method of either casting up-stream higher and letting it sink, or high sticking and jigging it. 2/5 seems to be the perfect size to cover almost everything. Sometimes I will change the spoon at the start of the run if I need to, but I don't run through with a different spoon after.

I'm not saying that this is the be all end all of spoon fishing, or even that I'm the best person to ask, I was simply just giving general information on what works for me. I've picked up nearly 60 fish this year on spoons, and only had 3 picked up all season behind me, where probably 40 of the fish I have hooked have been behind other people tossing either the same or different spoons. I'm convinced it has nothing to do with the size or action as long as you are getting it down in front of the steelhead (if it's a fast run, etc I may switch to a 2/3). It is also a lot about feel and knowing when you are getting down well and getting a proper thump.

If we are talking about coho, chinook, chum or pinks though... that's another story. I could go from a skunk day to a lights out 20+ day by just changing size of a spoon or by changing type all together (colour definitely matters with salmon as well). Steelhead just don't seem to care as much from what I've found. Keep in mind I sight fish a great number of these steelhead, and I never see them move to one spoon more than another unless one isn't getting deep enough. As I also said before earlier in this thread... don't discount jigging spoons through after you've swung them through. Many days sight fishing has seen jigging spoons as the trigger they needed (extra action and getting down deeper I guess).

Cheers,
Dan

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2013, 09:11:18 AM »

I worked at FFSBC fraser valley trout hatchery this past year... and made some interesting observations.

Me and a couple other people ran a mock test on the trout fishing ponds to see if line really made a difference.
We tested braided line (8 pnd braid), 8 pound mono, and 8 pound flouro.

Fished each of the lines for about an hour.
Braid - 0 hook-ups, and not even a look really. Mono did a bit better and got a few fish, and flouro out-fished hands down.

Another interesting thing was that it didn't matter what size flouro we used, but with mono and braid it did seem to matter lots.

ED, very interesting observation.
Were all the tests done using spoons/spinners only?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2013, 03:49:48 PM »

ED, very interesting observation.
Were all the tests done using spoons/spinners only?

I only did it with flies and spoons.
I might give it a go this year with bait and whatever else.
I'm sure results would be the same regardless.