Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for advice on buying new baitcaster.  (Read 13481 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Looking for advice on buying new baitcaster.
« on: March 13, 2013, 10:29:04 PM »

So I've decided this year to treat myself to a new baitcasting reel. I already have two: A Shimano Cardiff 401, and an Abu Garcia 6501 C3. I've had both reels for about 4 years and love them both dearly, especially the 6501 C3. I use the 6501 more for steelheading, so my new reel will be to replace the Cardiff for Spings, Chum, etc. I fish mainly on the Vedder and Chehailus. I'm planning to spool the Cardiff up with some braid and devote it to the occasional trip to the Fraser for bottom bouncing.

My Budget is around $300 before tax. At first I was planning to buy the Calcutta B 401. My local tackle shop has it on sale for $259.95, pretty hard to go wrong with that. But...well...aside from having better internal components than my Cardiff 401, it's pretty much the same reel. I've fished with a few buddies Calcutta B's and could notice that yes they are a bit smoother, and the drag was a bit nicer, and they would probably last longer. But if I'm going to go out and drop over $300 on a reel I don't really need in the first place, I want something different.

After checking out a lot of baitcasters in the store, I'm definitely leaning towards a low-profile baitcaster instead of another round baitcaster. I like the way they feel in the hand more, and hell they just look cool. The two I have my choices narrowed down to are the Shimano Curado 301E, and the Abu Garcia Revo Toro. Unlike most low-pro baitcasters, these two have decent line capacity. Most others have way less capacity and would never work for me.

I'm leaning more towards the Curado as it has a very good reputation and has been around for a while. The Revo Toro feels pretty sweet, but it is new and has few reviews, so I'm a bit hesitant.

One thing that puzzles me a bit is the choice of gear ratios. I understand what the gear ratio is. For example, my Cardiff is 5.2:1, and my 6501 C3 is 5.3:1. The Curado 301E is 6.2:1. The Revo Toro comes in 5.4:1, or 6.4:1 (the HS model). You can also get the Revo Toro "Winch" model which is 4.6:1.

Does any one have any advice on the "best" gear ratio? I realize that the higher gear ratio will retrieve line faster, and the lower ratio will have a bit more cranking power. If I get the Curado I only have the one choice (6.2:1), but if I get the Revo I can get 4.6:1, 5.4:1, or 6.4:1. I'm tempted to get the 5.4:1 as it's closest to the reels I already have and like.

Any other advice would be appreciated. Although I'm sure there are other good brands of baitcasting reels (Diawa, Penn, etc) I am only considering reels made by Shimano and Abu Garcia as they are what I know and like.

kalex60

Re: Looking for advice on buying new baitcaster.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 10:47:10 PM »

Shimano curado I think has more reputation behind it and I haven't heard a bad thing about it. I also don't trust the Abu as I think they are all made in china where as some Shimano are still made in Japan. You may also want to look at first light fishing tackle and riverside fly and tackle they have a few alternet brands which are worth looking into mostly ryobi. Gorge the reel tech at riverside use to work for Shimano fixing them and he swears by ryobi reels.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 12:13:57 AM »

Can't comment on either reels but if you're just using it for float fishing I'd personally get the higher ratio to pick up your line after a drift. + more casts = more fish.   :)

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 01:45:48 AM »

One thing to consider is that the low profile baitcasters have very small drag washers.
I use the Curado 200E7 for steelhead, coho and chum in slack water with braid. It is extremely nice to fish and I haven't come close to needing more line capacity. The faster gear ratio certainly allows me to make a lot more drifts than a 5:1 reel. You can't reel under load without destroying the gears so the lower ratio doesn't allow you to 'winch' in fish faster.

For large fish in fast water I use an Abu C3 which has upgraded bearings and drag. I think the Curado 300E will be no match for an Upper Vedder spring.
Can't comment on BBing. 

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 08:41:08 AM »

In my opinion if the reel is for Springs and Chum go with the 400 the Currado is nice but the drag "I" find is not really strong enough for the Big guys.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 09:51:42 AM »

For steelhead and coho, I use a Curado 201E7 and it works beautifully.
However, my Curado is the old E series, not the new G series.
For bigger springs, where you are looking for stronger drag, Curado 301 would be the ticket.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 09:56:02 AM »

Im putting a new ABU revo toro low profile reel through the paces this winter steelhead season.So far so good. It is so silky smooth! Love it!  ;D

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 11:01:56 AM »

Thanks a lot for the helpful replies guys. Glad to hear you like the Revo Toro Dennis T. Do you have the regular (5.4:1) or the HS (6.4:1)? What LB test are you spooling it up with? Any issues with line capacity?

From my experience and from guys I've talked to, the new Abu's are not what they used to be. Aparentlly the lower end (6500s, etc) see a lot of returns. However this reel definitley appears to be higher end and I'm considering buying one.

It's about the same price as the Curado 301E, but the Toro has more line capacity. Toro has more drag (20lbs) compared to the Curados 15lbs.

Place where I get my reels serviced says Curado/Shimano all the way! However he also says Dodge all the way and his truck is in the shop every couple months for a warranty repair. Makes me wonder...

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 11:25:26 AM »

I have the ABU Revo Toro winch model, and its spooled with 12 pd Maxima ultra green line. Maxima Ultra green is all i ever use for mainline.Lots of spool capacity,more then enough for a Vedder steelhead. I fish 10pd or 8pd leader depending on water conditions.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 11:27:19 AM by Dennis.t »

jump14

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 01:48:07 PM »

Another alternative route is to make your 6501 C3 a multi-purpose reel. Just upgrade it by throwing in a  dual ball bearing worm gear, ceramic pawl, carbontex drag, ball bearing idler gear, etc. You can also buy spare gear in various speeds from Abu. I have a TGC 6000 with the above upgrades and use it for everything. I also have the 6.3:1, 5.3:1, and 3.8:1 gears that are easily swapped within minutes. The reel has caught everything from 30+lb Chinook no problems as well as down to smaller trout. With the upgrades and different viscosity oils, you can throw the smallest gear out no problems. Just another route to consider….

Ive yet to have problems with the 6.3 gears although I don’t use those gears as often as the 5.3. I’ve heard from some friends who use the higher speed gears that with braided line and high drag setting the teeth in the gears can be ground down a little quicker depending how often you fish and what you’re targeting. Faster ratio=more teeth in gears= weaker strength compared to slower gears with larger teeth. I like the 5.3 gears the best, just a solid stand by; its not sluggish and its fast
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 01:51:58 PM by jump14 »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 07:34:49 PM »

Thanks a lot guys! Dennis.t, I'm curious why you went with the Revo Winch over the standard Revo or the Revo HS? How do you find the lower gear ratio? It seems to me that it would be a lot more work when throwing hundreds of casts in a day on the river, but I've never used a reel with a gear ratio that low so I'm more or less talking out my a**.

I was in Whole Sale Sports today looking at the Revo Toro, Currado 301E, and Calcutta 401B. All beauty reels, tough choice which to buy!

Between the Currado and Calcutta the two staff working the fishing counter agreed that the Calcutta is the better choice for my purposes as is holds more line and is more designed for float fishing on rivers. However they also agreed that the Curado E is equivelent in quality to the Calcutta, and is also a great choice.

They said the Revo Toro is also a beauty reel and lots of guys like it, but they would be very surprised if over the long haul it holds up as well as the Calcutta or Curado.

Who really knows. I'm more of a Shimano guy so I think it'l be down to the Curado or Calcuttta. Calcutta is $40 less too.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 07:41:56 PM »

I just had another thought: With the Revo Toro, it only lists up to 14LB test with the line capacity ratings. Does this mean that 14LB is the thickest line one should spool the reel with? In other words, could you spool it up with 20LB?

I like to run 20LB Maxima as my mainline for springs, chum, etc. I fish a lot of fast water for big salmon and often anything less than 15LB leader is likely to snap. For slower water I'll fish one of my lighter rods and reels with lighter line. My new baitcaster is to replace my Cardiff 401 which I use for big salmon.

The Curado and Calcutta are both rated up to 20LB test in the line capacity stats. I'm curious why Abu Garcia only gave #'s up to 14LB test for the spool capacity. These are the kind of questions that keep me awake at nihgt, haha!

Tommybuckles

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 07:46:50 PM »

I have a Daiwa Luna 300 that I've fished for just over a year now. It's a solid reel and feels very smooth compared to The Abu Garcia 6501C that I fished before it. Something to consider anyhow.  Good luck with the search

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 09:32:48 PM »

When i bought the ABU revo toro winch reel,it was on sale at a great price from Cabelas. I didnt do my research i guess. Wasnt aware it has a lower gear ratio? I dont find the retrieve any different then my other levewlwinds ( Abus and shimanos) The jury is still out wether it will last the punishment i put it through in a season. So far,so good.I still do think however the Gold Calcutta is still the best levelwind ever made. Just wanted to try sometning different this yr!

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 10:47:18 PM »

Yes the Revo Toro comes in the lowest gear ratio (the Winch) which you have, then one up from that, then the "HS" which has the highest gear ratio.

Although I quite like the Toro, I've decided to stick with what I know, which is Shimano. It's either going to be the Calcutta 401B, or the Curado 301E. The Calcutta is currently going for $259, and the Curado $279.

I'll mainly be using this my new reel on the Vedder for Springs, Chum, etc. I'll be putting it on a Shimano Technium 11"6 med/heavy rod. I love this rod for muscling strong fish out of strong water.

The specs for the two reels side by side are:

Calcutta: 5.0:1 gears, 11.7 oz, 160 yards of 20lb on the spool, 17.5lb max drag.

Curado: 6.2:1 gears, 10.6 oz, 120 yards of 20lb on the spool, 15lb max drag.
It seems that everyone and their dog has the Calcutta 400B, and it is such a proven river reel I'm tempted to get it as a no brainer. However I really like the feel of the Curado in the hand, and although it's not nearly as popular on the river, I know a few guys that own one and love it. The spool capacity is less, but should still be sufficent for the Vedder, Chehailus. My new reel will NOT be bottom bouncing on the Fraser!

And opinions on CalcuttaB vs. Curado300E for my purposes?