Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Braid line or mono for Centre pin reel  (Read 9329 times)

Kenwee

Braid line or mono for Centre pin reel
« on: January 09, 2011, 06:16:44 PM »

I am going to get a centre pin reel. I need advice:

1. Should I get backing line on the reel?
2. Braided line versus mono , pros and cons?
3. What length and rod rating best suitable for a centre pin setup?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

4TheKids

Re: Braid line or mono for Centre pin reel
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 06:30:14 PM »

I am also considering a CP setup. I would also be appreciative of any advice, especialy first hand experience.Thanks.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 07:46:46 PM »

-in order to get a more meaningful answer I think you should ad more information on what fish you will usually target and the size of water you will be fishing.
-do you want a specialty set up for a specific area, size and  species of fish or do you want a multi purpose set up.
-are you going to fish once per year for a few days or are you thinking you might want to fish with pin as your first choice and seek areas to use it
--If you intend to fish the same water you fish now what rig do you use now.

--this will help give more specific answers than just what our favourite set up or brand is which may not give you the best ideas for what you want.
--I don't have a pin but am thinking of getting one myself... to start I,m trying to figure out if I would use it to fish different water than I do now or if it would give me a different presentation for the same areas I fish now.

--The real truth... I just want one however trying to come up with a scientific approach to justify it.  So hopefully some good advise will come from this.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 07:53:54 PM by skaha »

Kenwee

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 09:29:55 PM »

Thanks , Skaha for your input. I am retired and will fish many days of the week, i.e.,frequently. I am now using a bait casting setup. Reading about the CP setup I realize it takes more skill and can be frustrating in the beginning but the sensation when you get a fish on can be very exciting and rewarding.

I will like to use it for steelheading and fishing Coho when the time comes. I read recommendations on braid lines for CP but I see most fishers use mono that is why I need advice on this.I am thinking of a Milner Kingfisher 4.3/8 for a reel and a Sage 3113CP for rod ( I know this rod is hard to come by but I have one available for me right now). Will use it for the Vedder and Chehalis mostly. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Kenwee

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 09:32:02 PM »

Just read Fishforever and Riverbum's comments and thank you guys!!

Brian

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 10:59:30 PM »

start with 20# chameleon on top of the backing of your choice.

the stiffer line is MUCH easier to cast and manage.  Once you get the hang of it, you might want to re-spool with a lighter line, but  alot of people don't bother until the line is a couple years old.

Cheers.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 01:57:14 AM »

The faces on the old hardy's will blow off if spooled up tight with mono. Reason being a thin diameter in the aluminum, and brittle aluminum.
Fish killer 101

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 05:52:32 AM »

Like yg said spool/mono problems pertain to the older(high capacity) pins with thin aluma faces or spools that are riveted (avon) screwed together.Dont think you could pop apart a spool cnc-ed from bar stock.Not all pins require backing.There are some shallow spool ones out there  that don't need it.
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart