Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Effective fishing techniques for Coho  (Read 3049 times)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
Effective fishing techniques for Coho
« on: October 02, 2007, 09:35:25 AM »

In the spirit of sharing and helping newer fishermen like Allwaysfishin did with curing single eggs, I like to share some points about effective coho fishing techniques. While steelheading is my first love, coho hunting is just as exciting and satisfying if you can learn to adapt your techniques by the ever changing river conditions during coho season. Non of the techniques require more than 2 ft leader and they are for biting fish. Here are some effective techniques:

1. Short floating with roe - this is the most well known technique and the one of choice during the early season when water is low and clear, and nothing beats it during first light at some lower river runs when coho are actively inhaling the roe in early morning.

2. Spinning, spooning or jigging the runs and pools - when the sun comes out or much brighter in the day, short floating may not produce, then you can try this to get a coho to strike your lure out of aggression instead of feeding. The large buck coho tend to attack due to their territorial instint.

3. Riffling in pocket water - this is when fish are on the move, particularly when water rises but still have some visibility in some riffle water. The rapids offer some good pocket water where fish will rest during travel. Use leader not more than 12" as longer leaders can not keep down the wool. Drop and lift gently without jerking your rod to avoid non-mouth hooking fish. Fish will bite well in highly oxgenated water like the rapids. Use a float to prevent snagging up, and use smaller hooks so that you can let the hook pop open to break free any fish that is not mouth caught.

4. Short floating small pocket run with scented wool - these are small runs or larger pocket waters among fast waters which can allow you to drift but the flow is slow enough for roe or scented wool to work its magic. If the flow is really slow, use really small float with one split shot or 1" pencil lead to help drifting in such slow water. You may have to pre-strip out line to help casting because small weight may be a problem during casting.

5. Spinning small pools or slow deep side channels - these are spots off the main flow which can be too fast or murky but the slower side channels or pools have better visbility due to slower flow. Coho like to park and rest in some of these spots during travel. Use small spinners from size 1 to 3 and try to stay back without spooking the fish with your body or your presentation.

6. Stealth coho technique - this is a deadly technique and I will not discuss how it is done in detail in an internet forum to protect from over harvesting of coho. Suffice to say that it requires a small rod (trout size), light line, a few small split shots, small hooks (size 2 or smaller), totally stealthily dressed or hide from coho's view so that the coho is totally unspooked.  This technque requires you to do under hand accurate cast without ever raising your rod so you do not spook the coho during your presentation, something like those bass pro who can land their lure in a small spot among branches or lily pads. Unspooked coho bite well out of instinct when momentarily flashed with a colour which resembles a feed during its life cycle, and that is the essense of this deadly technique.

I always believe that one needs to adapt your fishing approaches due to ever changing conditions of the river. It also adds more challenges or fun to your fishing when you have more ways to effectively take a fish without just sticking to or enshrining just one technique. If any one can contribute some more techniques besides flossing or snagging coho, you may add to this thread.  ;D

Good luck and tight lines.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 10:07:52 AM by Steelhawk »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Effective fishing techniques for Coho
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 10:17:44 AM »

Floating spinner blades can be a very effective technique

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 10:41:13 AM »

I bonked a coho on the cap this AM by back trolling a blade.  I was up on a rock with a trough below it and I simply cast into the head of the trough and slowly let my center pin spin out.  I would vary the tension and the blade would rise and fall thru the water column and then on one of thew drops...WHAP...a 4-5lb chromer mashed my blade.  Very arreal fish jumping 7 or 8 times...musta been really fresh as its lower intestine was full of stuff.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 01:22:15 PM »

If we include the Cap for this thread, then flyfishing is quite effective for coho, both in Cable Pool or lower river run. Cap coho are quite aggressive to bite flies. Have not tried flyfishing for coho in the Vedder or the Chehalis, so I am not sure if those coho bite well for flies.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 01:47:11 PM »

fly fishing on the chekamus can be very effective as well for coho..
always a student

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 03:36:14 PM »

Don't forget also bar-fishing the Fraser with roe. Will be open soon. I will also include short floating the Cap pools with quills. They like to eat that stuff in the ocean.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 03:58:15 PM »

You mean krills ?

SnaggedADuck

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 05:03:16 PM »

SteelHawk, could you email me at my user email.  I would like to talk to you about some of the techniques.

SAD

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 09:31:01 PM »

SAD, the purpose of my thread is to help newer fishers at large to know that there are different coho techniques available to them besides doing it with the betty and a 10 ft leader. So you can ask me or other top coho rods in the forum about various techniques in the forum for the benefits of other newer fishermen. If your question is on the one technique I already indicated that I will not give the detail of it, please just take the essence of it to explore it on your own. It is not a technique for newer fishermen to start with, and it takes years to master it and it requires good skill in casting, reading water and understanding the moods of the river, and how coho prefer to travel under those different conditions.  If you see an old timer dressed stealthily fishing with a small rod baited with a piece of sponge, he is one of those practising the technique. The last time I fished with him he was using a 5 wt Loomis custom flyrod for his rod. If your question is on other listed techniques (by the way they are no secrets and there are many good rods in the forum know what they are), please do so and I will try my best to answer. Thanks.