Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Setting the drag for steelhead.  (Read 6269 times)

Bingbamboom

Re: Setting the drag for steelhead.
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 12:38:58 AM »

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate all the knowledgeable anglers helping us newbies. My leader is lighter than my main. 15 lb main 12 lb leader. I am using Berkley trilene. I think I will switch it out to Maxima 12 lb main and use 10 lb fluorocarbon leader. I will also check my rod eyes dor damage. Thanks again.

oni_kage

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 02:51:44 AM »

It also depends on the line rating of the rod. If the line rating is too high, the rod won't absorb enough of the fight and it can cause breakage easier.

Bingbamboom

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 08:59:36 PM »

Thanks for all your help. I took all your suggestions and put them into practice today and Brought to hand a big ol' wild buck. From what else I have learned from FWR. I got in the water  with the fish, gently removed the hook, revived it and sent it on it's way. You guys ROCK ! Thanks again. ;D

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 09:49:39 AM »

Thanks for all your help. I took all your suggestions and put them into practice today and Brought to hand a big ol' wild buck. From what else I have learned from FWR. I got in the water  with the fish, gently removed the hook, revived it and sent it on it's way. You guys ROCK ! Thanks again. ;D

Good for you x 2!  Not only did you land a nice fish after getting some nice help from the FWR crew, you also landed the fish properly it sounds like.  Awesome!