Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Setting the drag for steelhead.  (Read 6265 times)

Bingbamboom

Setting the drag for steelhead.
« on: February 08, 2012, 02:55:07 PM »

I am using a Curado 300 e low profile reel. I have now lost 4 Steelhead. The main line snaps. I don!t think I really know how to set the appropriate amount of drag. Do you guys now a way to determine the right amount of drag.

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: Setting the drag for steelhead.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 03:06:08 PM »

Playing with it... eventually you'll get it right.

You can set the drag to the right tension by pulling on your line and seeing how hard it is to pull out. I like to set mine to that it is fairly tight while pulling out, but at the same time it doesn't take much effort. I'm using 8 pound braid, over the years I have just found a tension that I like playing fish at though, one that Im confident my line won't snap at.

Another thing you may want to check is your mainline. If it's old, frayed, etc get it replaced. Bush wacking can take a huge toll on the line. I switched to braid to stop line twist, better connection, farther casting, and it doesn't seem to get frayed when Im bush wacking, that and you can leave it on your reel forever as it doesn't really degrade much. 8 pound has about 12 breaking strength...

cohoaaron

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 03:09:49 PM »

That is strange.... What pound leader and mainline are you using? Your mainline must be damaged if its breaking before your leader. Unless you are using a heavier leader than your mainline.?
Or just use a centerpin, no drag to worry about  ;D ;D :D just kiddin ;)
Edit: everyday i like braided line on my levelwind too.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 03:18:53 PM by cohoaaron »

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 03:34:07 PM »

I usually set the drag at the slightly more than medium, and use my thumb to add more pressure if it need to while playing with the fish.

coby

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 04:39:07 PM »

EVERYDAY.... what #test are you using for your leader? And do you miss not having some stretch when playing a steely?
Cheers

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 04:42:51 PM »

It's important to figure out where your line broke or otherwise came free.

I am certain that there is a "flaw" in DNE hooks in that the end of the hook in the eye is very sharp.
A couple of years ago I found that I was breaking off Springs like crazy when I switched to DNE hooks.

I really like the DNE hooks because of the little "bump" that they put in them but I've stopped using them because I am convinced the eye is cutting through the line when an egg loop is tied.

I also agree that you can set the drag fairly light and use your thumb to control the fish.
Make sure that you have sufficient bend in your rod - if you point your rod at the fish, it will probably break off.

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 04:57:49 PM »

Winter runs 10-12lb mono line or 15lb flouro leaders.
Summer runs 8-10lb mono

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 05:11:04 PM »

The main line snaps.

???

The mainline should NEVER snap.

Either your main line is damaged, or it came from an old or defective batch and it is brittle, or you are mistakenly using a lighter pound test than your leader.

As for the drag, you should set it so that you can pull the fish in with your rod against the current when the fish is holding without the reel allowing line out, but the reel should let line out promptly when the fish goes on a run.

Remember, never, ever winch the fish with the reel. Pull the fish with the rod and quickly reel in any line gain.

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 06:22:36 PM »

Set your drag fairly loose and use your thumb, you'll know when you need to ease up and let the fish run. Looser is always better than tighter  ;D.

I use 30 pound hi vis yellow Power Pro barided line on my Steelhead baitcast set ups, super tough, durable, cast great and floats, which is important for line control and avoiding line bellying in the current.

Use a quality 12 pound leader and you should see no break offs, unless your knots are the issue, if thats the case study up on line on some different knots.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 06:28:56 PM »

Drag loose, and use your thumb.  You shouldn't need it tight, because you're not gonna be winching them in.  "Pump" the fish in by pulling then reeling up as you drop the rod.   

naka21

• Arie Nakagawa
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 07:58:05 PM »

another suggestion might be checking the guides on your rod for any cracks or damage, which can lead to mainline snapping

penn

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 08:54:18 PM »

It's better to err on the side of having to light than to heavy a drag . Like others have said , use thumb with light drag put don't ever clamp down hard when a fish is running , surest way to lose a fish .

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 09:23:58 PM »

It's important to figure out where your line broke or otherwise came free.

I am certain that there is a "flaw" in DNE hooks in that the end of the hook in the eye is very sharp.
A couple of years ago I found that I was breaking off Springs like crazy when I switched to DNE hooks.

I really like the DNE hooks because of the little "bump" that they put in them but I've stopped using them because I am convinced the eye is cutting through the line when an egg loop is tied.

I also agree that you can set the drag fairly light and use your thumb to control the fish.
Make sure that you have sufficient bend in your rod - if you point your rod at the fish, it will probably break off.

I have had this same problem! not always with DNE brand, though. I tied probably 20 roe loop leaders, and on Id say 80% of them the line from the hook about 3 inches up is all curly... until I realized that when I was tightening the roe loop up, the line was scraping against the ever so sharp edege of the eye of the hook, causing it to fray  :-\

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 09:27:52 PM »

Edit: everyday i like braided line on my levelwind too.

I'm not talking on a bait caster set up... haven't used my baitcaster more than 3 or 4 times this year, its all been a spin caster with spoons.

EVERYDAY.... what #test are you using for your leader? And do you miss not having some stretch when playing a steely?
Cheers

I'm using 10 pound flouro leader.

I def don't miss stretch at all. Since switching to braided line and sickle hooks I'v been 8 for 9 on landing fish. Before that I was having major problems going something like 7 for 18.

I'm not sure if me using a lighter rod that has a tonne of give is helping, but the less stretch the better IMO. Better hooksets, better connection to the fish, and way better feeling for when your are getting hits and/or bumping off rocks, bottom.

grumpy

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 11:57:44 PM »

you should set about 1/3 of the leader test lbs to start and increase it when you need to.