Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Man falls in fishing Pegleg  (Read 6256 times)

Danny21

Man falls in fishing Pegleg
« on: September 13, 2011, 06:25:19 PM »

http://www.globaltvbc.com/one+man+missing+after+fishing+on+fraser+river/6442480543/story.html     

Hey guys anyone else seen this story?? anyone know if he was found?

newb33

Re: Man falls in fishing Pegleg
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 07:15:05 PM »

There's already a thread with this information called peg leg i was there and no they called off the search last night and resumed this morning

wonder

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 08:40:14 PM »

The man who fell in the water was a close friend of mine and cousin to a few members of this site, we will be out on the river tomorrow with a few boats searching for his body, if everyone boating or on the shore could please keep a lookout it would be greatly appreciated, the family deserves closure. Thank you to everyone.

frozensalmon

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 01:31:53 AM »

I'm so sorry to hear this, i really do

I wish everyone is enjoying fishing season in BC but afterall mother nature power is always deadly

I know everyone is getting excitied once you load up your gears on car, driving happily to get your fish and fight your fish...

damn... this is so bad

I feel so bad for such an incident and young life just lost like that!   it's just too sad and tragic to accept the fact , especially for his family and friends

from now on I will never forget safety is always the No.1 priority no matter how badly i think i love fishing and how "good" a person is  at fishing

** edit: wait a minute, is the man confirmed dead or not?
more coho, more coho... ::)

greese30

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 07:49:50 AM »

so sorry for your loss,

my buddy and i were just arguing over this common calamity last week.  he says it is because the person panics that they cannot recover from water logged waders.  i say it is not panic, but current and i thought i had heard something to do with buoyancy.  i have heard of people wearing waist belts to help reduce some of the danger.  any value?

can anyone clear this up.

wonder

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 08:03:23 AM »

He's not confirmed dead, however he has been in the fraser since 640pm monday. Nothing couldvve helped them, it was a freak accident

ShaunO

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 08:24:46 AM »

I hope you and your family find closure.  This is tragic and hits close to home to all in the fishing community.  I know that the debate of flotation and wader belts will make it's way into this thread, but I think, out of respect for friends of family of the missing angler, we should take that conversation to a new thread and let this one be for condolences and words of comfort. 

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 01:46:11 PM »

My condolences...:(

PLEASE everyone: HIP WADERS are a death wish in current water conditions. If you must wade, wet wade or use chest waders with a well-fastened belt. Never go alone - use the buddy system.

Read the following information in detail, it is priceless! I cabbaged it from another fishing forum. The author is a friend of mine, who I am sure won't mind my C&P-ing the info here, as it is an invaluable safety lesson.

"A number of years ago there was a run on the upper Vedder we called the white fish run. There was a group of guys crossing into a side channel. River was flowing with them for the crossing. Big angle down stream. No problem, except they left a buddy behind. He got out into the current, without a wading staff and it was clear he was in trouble. His buddies weren't paying attention to him so didn't notice. I hadn't crossed yet and hadn't planned to, but I realised this guy was starting to panic. He turned and looked up to me and I gave him the arms crossed over my head signal. He held his position while I went and got a green maple that I turned into a wading staff. Once I got out to him he was shaking like a leaf and balling. I told him it was going to be ok and took the up stream side of him. My downstream arm across his shoulder with a firm grip on his shoulder. We stood there for a while till he calmed down. Then I got him to wash his face in that icy late winter water. Arms locked at the shoulders we took small steps. In the end it wasn't a big deal but he had learned a lesson. i talked to his buddies who were still clued out. Anyways, we caught quite a few steelhead that day between us all (pinning bait and blades) and I took him and his buddies back across, to show them how it was done. Of course the way back was a high angle up stream slog, with rising water. He was confident and ok though, me on the upstream side, and all was just fine.

Rule: strong wader on the up stream side, arms linked across the shoulders firmly grasping shoulders or arms or low on the waist, with the idea that if one guy slips the other can hold him without getting blown over. Two men linked this way can cross really insane water, three or more gets you into some unfished water.

Rule: always try to go with the current, no stopping and turning around. Expect to get wet, make sure you can drop gear from your body or hands from the down stream side. Wading Staff on the up stream side of the up stream wader, down stream of the down stream guy. Wear a tight fitting wading belt. Place the wading staff, take step with up stream leg. Check footing, move downstream leg into the lee of up stream leg. Check footing, Move staff. repeat.

Rule: learn what cold water response is, always wash your face with the water before making a crossing.

Rule; never, cross above log jams or other obstructions like sweepers etc. Pick tail outs in deeper water that is moving slower than the fast riffle water, take high angle routes downstream rather than trying to cross 90 degrees. Choose your route and expected landing point, making sure you have lots of room for a long down stream slog. Make sure you can make a similar high angle crossing back, going with the current rather than against it. beware of landings near cut banks, as the water tends to be deeper against a cut or high bank.

If you go down, dont panic. Its only water. Drop gear, drop vests, packs etc. Try to get your feet pointing down stream and get on your back if you can, or try to swim with the current downstream but try getting to the side as you are moving down stream. If you go under try to relax and breath when you can. Dont panic.

As you can guess I have done my share of crossings, many of them ending up wet while taking calculated risks. Planning and prep is the key here. Though over confidence is dangerous too. I learned that lesson a year and a half ago. Two days after being released from an 8 day hospital stay for hip surgery with a PIC line in my arm still, I was out ''recharging the memory banks''. Half ways into a 3 or 4 minute crossing I have done dozens of times, i was struggling in absolutely wicked pain against a current that was reminding me that I was entering the age of decrepitude. It took me close to 25 minutes to make that crossing. The pain was severe, and very real, but I was happy to be feeling it. Even that kind of pain can be a good thing. The fishing was good too, which made getting chewed out by the nurse changing the dressing on the PIC line a day or so later that much more bearable. Just got a steroid injection into the hip today, on the wating list for hip replacement surgery sometime this winter, and off to the Dean for a camping walk and wade trip in 4 days. I think its called passion....or having a strong affinity for pain."

greese30

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 08:30:39 PM »

great info milo.  maybe it should be a sticky.... or maybe there should be a PROPER WADING sticky on the top of the discussion page.

Oilcruzer

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 08:24:22 AM »

Very sad.
Thankfully, the searching can now stop.
I commend the efforts of all who searched to give the family some closure. 

mzmann

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 08:36:23 AM »

Very sad.
Thankfully, the searching can now stop.
I commend the efforts of all who searched to give the family some closure. 

X2 So incredibly sad but as stated at least there is some closure for the family and friends now.
Wishin I was fishin!! :)

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 11:55:45 AM »

Very sad, alot of my friends were friends with him.  We had a guy attempt to cross some deep fast moving water in the vedder this morning.  A bunch of us started yelling out loud " with don't cross!!!" as he lost balance and was able to turn around before he went in.  would have been swept into a deep hole.
I can't wait to fish ALL the time!