Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Confused - How many rods can you use.  (Read 6281 times)

Mabelingwane

• Mabelingwane Hunting safari's
Confused - How many rods can you use.
« on: July 20, 2007, 10:27:17 AM »

Hi There - I am sure this has come around before, but I am confused, and it doesnt take much for that to happen ;D

How many rods can you use in the Chuck??? I thought one, but I see guys off west Van using two... What the heck, before I make a call tou our friends, i though I would find out how you guys read it?

Cheers and get out there and bonk them...
A strong man won't let anyone get the best of him... but a man of strength gives the best of himself to everyone.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Confused - How many rods can you use.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 10:50:52 AM »

I believe you can use two if you are fishing by yourself.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 10:51:19 AM »

There is no limit to the number of fishing rods a licensed fisher may used in tidal waters (except in the Tidal Fraser River, where only one rod maybe used).

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Law/salmonpoints_e.htm

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Law/finfishpoints_e.htm

Also on pages 10 and 17 of the 2007-2009 British Columbia Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Guide.

charles

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 04:19:05 PM »

It must be new...  I remember a DFO told some fisherman at ambleside last year to use 1 rod only...

But thanks Rodney for the information...  Now those people on the pier can stick 6 rods up all by himself so they can take over the whole side...  I can't believe they would put that one up in the guide book...  You would think 1 rod per person is pretty much all you need...

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 04:52:19 PM »

That DFO must have been confused...what Rodney said has been the rule in the chuck since...forever!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 05:06:14 PM »

That's why carrying an updated copy of the regulation book as well as printed copies of the latest fishery notices don't only help you to follow the rules, but also correct the fishery officers when they mistakenly charge you with a violation. You can always fight it at court, but that's a waste of time, energy and money. Many fisheries officers are new recruits from other provinces, therefore there is a learning curve at times.

A few years ago, the pink salmon opening on the Fraser River was extended so a couple of members on the forum were fishing for them, only to be stopped by a fishery officers who were ready to write them tickets. They asked the fishery officers to check with the office for the update. After being corrected, the officer returned their licenses and commented that they were "lucky" as if the anglers intend to be out poaching.

Another case last year, an officer wrote a ticket to an angler who had some northern pikeminnows in the bucket, because he thought they were eulachons, which are closed for retention. Because of the language barrier, the angler was unable to convince the office that they were not eulachons.

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 06:46:44 PM »

That's why carrying an updated copy of the regulation book as well as printed copies of the latest fishery notices don't only help you to follow the rules, but also correct the fishery officers when they mistakenly charge you with a violation. You can always fight it at court, but that's a waste of time, energy and money. Many fisheries officers are new recruits from other provinces, therefore there is a learning curve at times.

A few years ago, the pink salmon opening on the Fraser River was extended so a couple of members on the forum were fishing for them, only to be stopped by a fishery officers who were ready to write them tickets. They asked the fishery officers to check with the office for the update. After being corrected, the officer returned their licenses and commented that they were "lucky" as if the anglers intend to be out poaching.

Another case last year, an officer wrote a ticket to an angler who had some northern pikeminnows in the bucket, because he thought they were eulachons, which are closed for retention. Because of the language barrier, the angler was unable to convince the office that they were not eulachons.

wow...unbelievable :o

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 09:27:24 PM »

Many fisheries officers are new recruits from other provinces, therefore there is a learning curve at times.

That's no excuse. Drivers are expected to know the regulationsof the road before being granted their licences.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 11:33:39 AM »

A fishery notice that came out today is somewhat relevant to this topic, please read on.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=102519&ID=recreational

Please note the following clarification to the 2007 to 2009 BC Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Guide:

Page 17  6th bullet down is changed to:

There is no limit to the number of fishing rods a licensed angler may use in tidal waters except in the tidal portion of any stream or river.  It is illegal to angle with more than one fishing line in any lake, stream or river.

Please refer to the cover page opposite page 1 for descriptions of Tidal water boundaries in Areas 28 and 29 (Freshwater Region 2).

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contact your nearest DFO office or the recreational fisheries website at: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/default_e.htm.

IamCanadian

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 12:59:22 PM »

hmmmm
same over here, i was over at belcarra a few weeks ago
and this DFO told me that only one rod was allowed per user
i was so confused, as i thought belcarra was considered tidal water..isnt it? :-\

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 01:05:28 PM »

Let me get in touch with a few staff and get back to you.

Stay tuned. ;)

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 08:11:12 PM »

Aren't lakes and non-tidal rivers/streams under provincial jurisdiction?

It's always been that you can use 2 rods when fishing by yourself in boat on a lake, as well.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 10:17:30 PM »

Aren't lakes and non-tidal rivers/streams under provincial jurisdiction?

It's always been that you can use 2 rods when fishing by yourself in boat on a lake, as well.

Yes, but we're talking about tidal waters in this case.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 10:51:28 PM »

I think Easywater might be refering to the second part of the notice that says "It is illegal to angle with more than one fishing line in any lake, stream or river." I'm confused as to why they are mentioning lakes, streams and rivers in an update to the Tidal Waters Sport fishing guide?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 10:59:55 PM by Eagleye »

nosey

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 10:53:06 PM »

I somehow thought that there was a snag to this regulation whereas if you had someone in the boat that was not licenced you could only have the same amount of rods as you had licenced anglers, for example if there were 4 people in the boat but one had no licence you could only have three rods out. I could be wrong but this would make sense to me otherwise you could have a boat full of people fishing with only one of them being actually licenced.