Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing downstream of another angler  (Read 9040 times)

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing downstream of another angler
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2016, 02:22:47 PM »

Of course there's also the guy that snags a spring in the arse and chases it downriver for 30 minutes and expects to hold his spot an hour later when he returns.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 02:24:25 PM by typhoon »

96XJ

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2016, 08:48:17 PM »

Correct. Steelheading is a whole different ball game. I should have been more clear.  In the salmon meat holes it's a steady conveyor belt of fish so fence posting is the norm if you're in a prime spot.

I was referring to salmon fishing as well , the OP was about salmon , steelheading is not the same at all

96XJ

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2016, 08:53:58 PM »

Of course there's also the guy that snags a spring in the arse and chases it downriver for 30 minutes and expects to hold his spot an hour later when he returns.

He's also the guy that boasts about his epic battle with the aforementioned spring

Tylsie

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2016, 10:29:06 PM »

I appreciate that salmon are different, I just practice moving to the top regardless. Never gave it much thought, and never had a problem. I agree with the earlier statement that there is no magic rock. With the numbers salmon moving through a pool at a given time it is usually more a matter of finding what they want rather then being in the right spot. If someone slides down into my spot when I am off playing a fish so be it. If I catch a fish they missed great, and if they hook into one then the spot opens up again and I can slide down if I want.

This is of course on smaller streams such as the Vedder. On the Fraser your rod holder marks you spot.

mvelasco

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2016, 10:54:26 PM »

Salmon season=fence posting. It's one of those first light adventures where you know that guy with the thermos means business. Fortunately I know my favourite run rather well so it doesn't bother me. During steelhead season when my primary style of fishing is swinging a fly it becomes a nuisance.sometimes I just reel up and move well down from them informing them on the way of my actions. Some don't mind but more often than not I get the dirty eyeball