Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder steelhead smolt  (Read 7899 times)

Tylsie

Re: Vedder steelhead smolt
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 12:22:47 PM »

Complete nonsense. This character's actions are illegal.
If he had retained it, it might not have been illegal but it certainly would be unethical. If you are going to dispatch an animal, do it quickly.
From the regs:
" If you are under 16 and a resident of BC, you may sport fish without any licence or stamp but must still abide by the regulations."
Not needing a licence doesn't excuse the behavior.

I am genuinely curious, what regulations did he break?

Were his handling skills proper, no. Never said they were. As for dispatching quickly, that is strictly a moral code. Lots of groups around the world don't follow that. Heck, even my dad would add them to a stringer alive and put them back in the water as a kid.  Have you never had a fish squirm out of your hands? Wait, it will happen. I have even had dead fish (booked and bled) do it. I am not going to say that he didn't make mistakes, but so what. No fisherman is perfect. At least none of the ones I have ever met. This kid has the basic skills, just needs to learn.

Apennock

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2016, 12:43:55 PM »

No regulations broken and if that fish was still in the system it had become a resident.  If it died after release the salmon will thank that young man. 

I'm glad no one crucified me like this when I was getting started fishing...

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2016, 12:48:28 PM »

I'm with you on this Tylsie, some of the responses on this site and to his video were pretty brutal. 

No benefit of doubt, no consideration of age or experience or the fact that most of us here have probably made similar errors in the past and still occasional may do, myself included. 

Look someone is wrong on the internet, HANG THEM!   

It's a shame that he took the video down, I'm presuming because of the negative comments.  What is the likelihood that he did not care about the fish (I think low, considering he apologized to the fish for dropping it FFS) as opposed to the probability that he would try to do better; if given the chance?  Now he probably feels persecuted and ostracized and will no longer post videos and therefore have no opportunity to receive sound advice.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2016, 12:48:59 PM »

I am genuinely curious, what regulations did he break?

Were his handling skills proper, no. Never said they were. As for dispatching quickly, that is strictly a moral code. Lots of groups around the world don't follow that. Heck, even my dad would add them to a stringer alive and put them back in the water as a kid.  Have you never had a fish squirm out of your hands? Wait, it will happen. I have even had dead fish (booked and bled) do it. I am not going to say that he didn't make mistakes, but so what. No fisherman is perfect. At least none of the ones I have ever met. This kid has the basic skills, just needs to learn.

Really?!? It might explain some of the responses in this thread.

It is unlawful to:
Release fish in a harmful manner if you are not going to keep your catch. Follow the catch & release tips outlined on p. 11.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1517/fishing_synopsis_2015-17_provincial.pdf
p9

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2016, 12:50:19 PM »

I'm with you on this Tylsie, some of the responses on this site and to his video were pretty brutal. 

No benefit of doubt, no consideration of age or experience or the fact that most of us here have probably made similar errors in the past and still occasional may do, myself included. 

Look someone is wrong on the internet, HANG THEM!   

It's a shame that he took the video down, I'm presuming because of the negative comments.  What is the likelihood that he did not care about the fish (I think low, considering he apologized to the fish for dropping it FFS) as opposed to the probability that he would try to do better; if given the chance?  Now he probably feels persecuted and ostracized and will no longer post videos and therefore have no opportunity to receive sound advice.

I assume he took it down because someone told him he did something illegal and he didn't want to get charged.
He is the poster child for what not to do.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2016, 01:45:37 PM »

I assume he took it down because someone told him he did something illegal and he didn't want to get charged.
He is the poster child for what not to do.
I saw two comments and one was quite vulgar, calling this kid an a*hole and otherwise tearing into him...

pbish

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2016, 02:03:52 PM »

Lets face it, if DFO was on the scene they would have sternly explained catch and release rules' cautioned him about the dangers of no life jackets and moved on. End of story.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2016, 05:55:23 PM »

Internet shaming is motivated by a vicious lynch mob mentality. It's getting out of control. People make mistakes and need the opportunity to right them not have their lives destroyed in public.

Anyone who'd take aim at a child over something like this needs to re-think their narrow self righteous attitude. He needs sympathetic adult guidance not shaming.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2016, 06:43:27 PM »

2007, just under the train bridge, my first salmon trip and I was snagging spawning pinks for an hour, I was 10. I had a blast, my first salmon and I was hooked on salmon fishing since then. We all start somewhere. Not everyone gets taught how to fish ethically right away, but we learn.
Bashing just deters people from it all. Give the kid a break. Little constructive criticism and a few thousand casts later, they learn a thing or two. It's people that know what they're doing is wrong and are completely ignorant about it are the problem. Looking back at some of the chum and springs I used to retain makes me barf, but it's all a part of the learning curve.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2016, 08:07:27 PM »

Internet shaming is motivated by a vicious lynch mob mentality. It's getting out of control. People make mistakes and need the opportunity to right them not have their lives destroyed in public.

Anyone who'd take aim at a child over something like this needs to re-think their narrow self righteous attitude. He needs sympathetic adult guidance not shaming.

No wonder why there is less posting of pictures and reports these days.

paulj

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2016, 08:44:31 PM »

some of us take fishing way too seriously.  yes there regulations out there but cmon give this kid a break.  do we know for sure that he was using a barbless hook? what is so wrong with his fish handling? do u have a clear definition of mishandling a fish?  i hope this kid doesnt lose his passion for fishing because of some of our comments.