Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder steelhead smolt  (Read 7900 times)

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
Vedder steelhead smolt
« on: July 11, 2016, 10:59:46 PM »

Robert_G

Re: Vedder steelhead smolt
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 08:06:43 AM »

Catch and release at it's finest ::)

SilverChaser

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 08:42:40 AM »

Looks good to me!
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 09:17:54 AM »

I'm more concerned about this young guy apparently being responsible for a child that is wandering around an area that has a muddy bank undercut by strong currents.

The maltreatment of a hatchery trout (that is intended to be harvested to clear them from the river)is meh. Although he does have some bad habits that he will unfortunately carry into his adult fishing career and his treatment of wild fish, unless he learns differently.             

Walleye76

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 09:25:11 AM »

Surprised he didn't just kick it into the water at the end... SMH  ::)

Drewhill

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 09:42:31 AM »

Unfortunately this is pretty common every summer. With the warmer weather, holidays and school out there are lots of people on the river that are just out there to cast a line while they camp or BBQ or just enjoying summer and don't have any idea of ethics or fish handling. I'd be surprised if many of them have a fishing license. If you see people like this on the river try not to approach them guns blazing. Usually a quick calm chat is all it takes and if they are hostile let them see you snap some photos of them and tell them you're going to report them. That's usually good enough to scare them a bit.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 10:43:09 AM »

C'mon everyone does dumb stuff as a kid, no one is born with immaculate fish handling practices.

The comment section on that video appears to be open. Rather than being all outraged here, why not post a gentle and supportive message on his video and I'll wager it would be well received.

doja

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 12:36:52 PM »

I'm surprised no one noticed the difficultly pulling the "barbless" hook out... I may be wrong but they always come out pretty easy for me.

chronicfisher

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 05:14:39 PM »

Unfortunately this is pretty common every summer. With the warmer weather, holidays and school out there are lots of people on the river that are just out there to cast a line while they camp or BBQ or just enjoying summer and don't have any idea of ethics or fish handling. I'd be surprised if many of them have a fishing license. If you see people like this on the river try not to approach them guns blazing. Usually a quick calm chat is all it takes and if they are hostile let them see you snap some photos of them and tell them you're going to report them. That's usually good enough to scare them a bit.

I'd think twice about snapping a photo at a hostile person. Might just instigate things a bit more. Just give your 2 cents and make  report.

If I remember correctly a fight that I broke up between 2 fisherman was because one tried to nice and other didn't care. So nice guy snapped some photos of the other fisherman breaking rules and then it turned into a fight where a pair of scissors was pulled out on the ethical fisherman. Unfortunately Mr snaggy decided to stab other guy in the face. It was a good thing the ethical fishermen could hold his own but still needed some stiches on the face. I only broke up the fight after my shaggy got what he deserved. 

My only suggestion is try not to make the situation worse or escalate things. Educate them if they willing. If not just make notes and a report. Unless your a good dancer and don't mind dancing. But not really worth the dance imo.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 05:16:58 PM by chronicfisher »

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 07:39:39 PM »

He's young and probably has never received proper guidance.  He even says sorry fish in the video, so has some empathy and would probably treat the fish better if he knew the proper techniques.

Tylsie

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 08:24:43 PM »

Let me get this straight. A kid decides to spend a day taking his brother fishing, catches a legal trout, and instead of say way to go people attack him for not following ideal C&R? Would it of been ok if he kept it? As a child, unless I am mistaken, he doesn't need a license. As for barb less, probably not but I have known a few gurus on other rivers forget.

I am not saying he did nothing wrong. But how many guys on here used to feed "squaw" fish to the Eagles as a kid, or killed dogs who took your bait salmon fishing then tossed them over, and so many other examples. I see a video of a kid who is out fishing, having fun, and targeting a legal species. Good for him. Lots to learn but have to start somewhere.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 06:27:51 AM »

Let me get this straight. A kid decides to spend a day taking his brother fishing, catches a legal trout, and instead of say way to go people attack him for not following ideal C&R? Would it of been ok if he kept it? As a child, unless I am mistaken, he doesn't need a license. As for barb less, probably not but I have known a few gurus on other rivers forget.

I am not saying he did nothing wrong. But how many guys on here used to feed "squaw" fish to the Eagles as a kid, or killed dogs who took your bait salmon fishing then tossed them over, and so many other examples. I see a video of a kid who is out fishing, having fun, and targeting a legal species. Good for him. Lots to learn but have to start somewhere.

Complete nonsense. This character's actions are illegal.
If he had retained it, it might not have been illegal but it certainly would be unethical. If you are going to dispatch an animal, do it quickly.
From the regs:
" If you are under 16 and a resident of BC, you may sport fish without any licence or stamp but must still abide by the regulations."
Not needing a licence doesn't excuse the behavior.

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 07:39:25 AM »

It's been removed

Drewhill

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 10:39:41 AM »

I'd think twice about snapping a photo at a hostile person. Might just instigate things a bit more. Just give your 2 cents and make  report.

If I remember correctly a fight that I broke up between 2 fisherman was because one tried to nice and other didn't care. So nice guy snapped some photos of the other fisherman breaking rules and then it turned into a fight where a pair of scissors was pulled out on the ethical fisherman. Unfortunately Mr snaggy decided to stab other guy in the face. It was a good thing the ethical fishermen could hold his own but still needed some stiches on the face. I only broke up the fight after my shaggy got what he deserved. 

My only suggestion is try not to make the situation worse or escalate things. Educate them if they willing. If not just make notes and a report. Unless your a good dancer and don't mind dancing. But not really worth the dance imo.

If they stab you in the face with scissors for taking photos, they have bigger problems than learning how to fish ethically.

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 10:50:33 AM »

If they stab you in the face with scissors for taking photos, they have bigger problems than learning how to fish ethically.
True, but you'll have the biggest problem.